OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:44:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest doesn't seem to have any time for me  (Read 801 times) Average Rating: 0
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« on: March 29, 2011, 06:38:07 PM »

I’ve been attending OC for 7 months or so and wanted to attend Orthodox 101 classes that were offered however, I wasn’t able to, due to my work schedule. There is only one Greek Orthodox church in the area(which is the one I’ve been attending) and a small Russian mission church which also offers these classes but its in the bad area and since I have to take the bus, its not that safe for me to go there. I spoke to our priest about it and he said he could meet me at some other time however when I mentioned that I has to be after 6 pm or on the weekend, he became very vague, and said”how about we’ll just meet after the Sunday service, during coffee hour?” I said ok but I wasn’t happy with this because there are always lot of people who want to talk to him and I didn’t think I would be able to speak to him. Just as I thought, he was too occupied with other people, and didn’t have time to talk to me. Same thing happened on the following Sunday. This was 2 months ago and I still haven’t had a chance to meet with him. I tried to email him but I never get a response.
I’m really beginning to be discouraged. I want to be baptized in OC but how can that happen since it seems like priest has no time for me? I know he is busy but what should I do? I have to work late on the day that these classes were offered so there is nothing I can do about that. Any advice? Huh

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

Is there anyone else, besides the priest who can help you out?  Maybe, they can use the materials and teach you on another night? 

Remember, Lent is the busiest time of year for the priest, as well.  There are all manner of Lenten services during the week, etc.

However, do approach him after Divine Liturgy.  If there are other people...fine, get in line and wait.  When you finally approach him, don't make him feel guilty....just tell him you are interested in becoming Orthodox and would like some instruction.  Tell him the days you are available and then ask him if there's someone else whom he recommends to teach you, or if he has any suggestions on how best to accomplish this.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged.  Remember, the more interested you become in Orthodoxy, the more interested and dedicated the devil becomes to keep you from doing so.  Don't let him win.  Be persistent.

Remember, the women who kept calling after Christ?  She didn't take NO for an answer.  Don't you take NO for an answer, either.  Keep knocking, and the door will be opened.

Is the priest married?  Maybe his wife can help you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »

Is there anyone else, besides the priest who can help you out?  Maybe, they can use the materials and teach you on another night? 

Remember, Lent is the busiest time of year for the priest, as well.  There are all manner of Lenten services during the week, etc.

However, do approach him after Divine Liturgy.  If there are other people...fine, get in line and wait.  When you finally approach him, don't make him feel guilty....just tell him you are interested in becoming Orthodox and would like some instruction.  Tell him the days you are available and then ask him if there's someone else whom he recommends to teach you, or if he has any suggestions on how best to accomplish this.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged.  Remember, the more interested you become in Orthodoxy, the more interested and dedicated the devil becomes to keep you from doing so.  Don't let him win.  Be persistent.

Remember, the women who kept calling after Christ?  She didn't take NO for an answer.  Don't you take NO for an answer, either.  Keep knocking, and the door will be opened.

Is the priest married?  Maybe his wife can help you.

What she said. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »

Have you thought about who would be your sponsor? Maybe you could try to develop a relationship with one of the parishioners to help guide you. 
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »

The Orthodoxy 101 and 102 classes are archived online and can be accessed from the ACROD website.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

In my parish I am the catechumen director, but not a priest but rather a subdeacon. I teach some Catechism classes while father teaches other classes. With Father's approval I also  assign additional reading material for those who have to work and can not make it to classes. The reading material I assign parallels the catechism classes. Our priest requires that the catechumen doing this meet with him in person or by telephone to discuss their material and so he can evaluate their progress. You may end up having to wait until the Church has cleared out after fellowship hour so you can have some quiet time with father, if you are unable to meet with him during the weekdaytime hours.

You must remember that Great Lent is a time of great stress for priests, they not only do the daily services on the schedule they had before Great Lent but there are also added and more lengthy services in the evening that may make his evening hours very limited. I know my priest is currently doing about 5-6 hours of services each day as compared to his usual 3 hours + his home visits + his hospital visits + his private appointments during the day---I really don't know how he has time for his family.

May I suggest that you ask him for a reading catechumenate program and ask for once monthly scheduled appointment to meet with him, you may have to find time to meet when he actually has time to meet, there may have to be some sacrifice of your time (perhaps a vacation hour/sick hour  can be used from work to meet during the day?) when you can meet for that 1 hour a month. My pastor often does it over lunch at a public restaurant where the noise of the restaurant actually gives you the privacy to ask your questions.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »

Excellent advice - I can only reiterate that Lent is an incredibly busy time for our priests - I don't know how they do it, really - so you may need to be the one who is more accomodating and flexible.
I think a reading and study program is a good idea at this time - perhaps you could communicate questions etc. by email for awhile, until you can coordinate scheduled meeting times?
Or, could you contact someone in the classes who would give you a ride?
There are all sorts of alternatives here, it seems to me.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »

In my parish I am the catechumen director, but not a priest but rather a subdeacon. I teach some Catechism classes while father teaches other classes. With Father's approval I also  assign additional reading material for those who have to work and can not make it to classes. The reading material I assign parallels the catechism classes. Our priest requires that the catechumen doing this meet with him in person or by telephone to discuss their material and so he can evaluate their progress. You may end up having to wait until the Church has cleared out after fellowship hour so you can have some quiet time with father, if you are unable to meet with him during the weekdaytime hours.

You must remember that Great Lent is a time of great stress for priests, they not only do the daily services on the schedule they had before Great Lent but there are also added and more lengthy services in the evening that may make his evening hours very limited. I know my priest is currently doing about 5-6 hours of services each day as compared to his usual 3 hours + his home visits + his hospital visits + his private appointments during the day---I really don't know how he has time for his family.

May I suggest that you ask him for a reading catechumenate program and ask for once monthly scheduled appointment to meet with him, you may have to find time to meet when he actually has time to meet, there may have to be some sacrifice of your time (perhaps a vacation hour/sick hour  can be used from work to meet during the day?) when you can meet for that 1 hour a month. My pastor often does it over lunch at a public restaurant where the noise of the restaurant actually gives you the privacy to ask your questions.

Thomas

thank you Thomas, i will try what your suggest

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: