OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:57:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Arabic-English Quran for Students of MSA?  (Read 609 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »

What is the best Arabic-English Quran for students of Classical Arabic? Maybe even an interlinear translation?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:38:35 PM by Severian » Logged

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »

Nothing?

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

Yes, I would say that the best Qur'an is no Qur'an. Wink

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »

I like Yusuf Ali
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »

What is the best Arabic-English Quran for students of Classical Arabic? Maybe even an interlinear translation?

Thanks!

Severian, do you mind stating your purpose?

I am no expert, but I lived with someone who might have claimed some knowledge about this.

And I know the advice they would give.

Number one would have been getting some decent recitations of the Quran to listen to, especially the latter suras given how short and often straightforward they are.

And I've only seen a few dozen Korans in English translation. The ones I saw often had Arabic on the page opposing the English.

Some, like the Asad translation (which I think most people I think are not insane like the best), offer the English, Arabic, "phonetic", and copious notes. (Asad's translation borders on being a tafsir as well and is thus huge, but the Arabic was still "readable" to my poor eyesight).

Asad tries at times to give various glosses and why he chooses what he does. It does suffer from the faux-Jacobean or whatever KJV-style English though.

Some people like Abel Haleem's translation to get the general "gist" of the text without much commentary and in more contemporary English.

(Yusef Ali and company to me reads way too much (post)colonial and assume too much extra-Quranic material in their translations.)

Let me know what you decide on.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

I would suggest the translation by Arthur John Arberry.
There is a Wikipedia article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Koran_Interpreted
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

Thanks!

Severian, do you mind stating your purpose?

I am no expert, but I lived with someone who might have claimed some knowledge about this.

And I know the advice they would give.

Number one would have been getting some decent recitations of the Quran to listen to, especially the latter suras given how short and often straightforward they are.

And I've only seen a few dozen Korans in English translation. The ones I saw often had Arabic on the page opposing the English.

Some, like the Asad translation (which I think most people I think are not insane like the best), offer the English, Arabic, "phonetic", and copious notes. (Asad's translation borders on being a tafsir as well and is thus huge, but the Arabic was still "readable" to my poor eyesight).

Asad tries at times to give various glosses and why he chooses what he does. It does suffer from the faux-Jacobean or whatever KJV-style English though.

Some people like Abel Haleem's translation to get the general "gist" of the text without much commentary and in more contemporary English.

(Yusef Ali and company to me reads way too much (post)colonial and assume too much extra-Quranic material in their translations.)

Let me know what you decide on.
My Spiritual Father has forbidden me from listening to it being recited. So that option is out. When looking for a translation, I want one that is faithful to the original Arabic. I would much rather read a less clear translation that is faithful to the original Arabic's vocabulary, syntax and grammatical structure than a very unambiguous translation which is little more than the translator's interpretation of the text. I want to purchase a Quran purely for the purpose of learning Arabic, nothing more and nothing less.

Thanks for all your advice.

I would suggest the translation by Arthur John Arberry.
There is a Wikipedia article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Koran_Interpreted
Is the original Arabic included? Because by the looks of it (I skimmed through the preview on Amazon.com), it doesn't seem to be.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:09:33 PM by Severian » Logged

Theophilos78
OC.net guru

Faith: Yahwist-Apostolic Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »

Thanks!

You could visit this site too.  Wink

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=70&verse=40

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »

Thanks!

You could visit this site too.  Wink

Do you know Arabic? Or if anyone does, is that a manner realistic in helping learn it?

An interesting resource nevertheless.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:58:28 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »

Thanks!

You could visit this site too.  Wink

Do you know Arabic? Or if anyone does, is that a manner realistic in helping learn it?

An interesting resource nevertheless.

The above with the following might be helpful Severian:

http://www.islamawakened.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=10

You can see dozens of glosses at one.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »

I bought Maulana Muhammad Ali's translation today at my local bookstore (he was a member of the Ahmadi sect). Its translation seems pretty helpful and accurate from what I have read so far. I don't care that much about the commentaries, they are just more of an unneeded bonus than anything else. I'm honestly pretty proud of the amount that I can read and understand. Maybe in a few years, God willing, I will be able to write my own compositions in Arabic.

In Christ
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:26:12 AM by Severian » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »

have you read an arabic translation of the Bible from genesis to revelation?
i think you should complete that first.
you can do the new testament first if you don't want to get stuck half way through leviticus, or read a bit of each each day.

there are 2 translations commonly used; i have kitaab al hayaa and recommend the other version!  Wink
sorry, i don't know what it it called, but kitaab al hayaa isn't the one usually used in arabic church Bible studies that i have been to.

i was working my way through the new testament, but i did not get very far as i became lazy about my arabic and started reading the orthodox study Bible instead!
then i wonder why my arabic is so bad...
oops, should get back to it.
 Smiley
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »

^Thank you for chiming in mabsoota. It is always a pleasure to read your posts. Of course, I do have an Arabic Bible which I read often (I have the Dick Van Dyke translation). I just thought it would be a good idea to buy a copy of the Quran because it is considered the standard of all Arabic literature/composition. And, unlike the Divine Scriptures, they were originally written in Arabic.

In Christ
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:51:21 PM by Severian » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »

thanks, severian, you are sweet.
but the koran is the arabic equivalent of english shakespeare (very few understand it) and it has some passages in it (according to my muslim friends) that even top scholars of arabic can't understand because they are so 'deep', which is why you 'need' a cleric to explain them to you.
having said that, i did use a muslim website to learn how to write arabic; it had the little videos showing the directions of the pen strokes, which was very helpful.

the Bible is the arabic equivalent to reading the news in a top newspaper, and the dick van dyke one is the one whose name i couldn't remember.

i challenge you to read the whole Bible in arabic, and i'll read the new testament...
(reply by pm)
 Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: