OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:02:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ukrainian Catholic leader to ask Pope for patriarchal status  (Read 7059 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« on: March 29, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »

Two days after his March 27 enthronement as head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk said he would ask Pope Benedict to raise the Eastern Catholic church to the dignity of a patriarchate.

Link

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »

Good luck with that.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »

Here we go, again.   Roll Eyes  Bless them, they are a persistent lot.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »

I don't really see what it matters if it happens.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »

Is it true that cardinals outrank Patriarchs in the Catholic Church?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »

AFAIK Patriarch is just a honorific title with no practical features. On the other hand Cardinal title gives the possibility to vote for the Pope (and be voted too).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

Generally, certain positions will lead to the bishop becoming a cardinal.  Archbishops for the See of Boston, within a couple of years of their appointment are elevated to cardinal. Previous Major Archbishops (sounds so military...lol) have all been made cardinals.  It will only be a matter of time before the new Major Archbishop will be enrolled into the College of Cardinals. Tho, due to his age, they may wait a bit longer than usual. 

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »

Generally, certain positions will lead to the bishop becoming a cardinal.  Archbishops for the See of Boston, within a couple of years of their appointment are elevated to cardinal. Previous Major Archbishops (sounds so military...lol) have all been made cardinals.  It will only be a matter of time before the new Major Archbishop will be enrolled into the College of Cardinals. Tho, due to his age, they may wait a bit longer than usual.  

But if a Patriarch be not a cardinal, he will be outranked by a cardinal, yes?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:32:36 PM by Iconodule » Logged

AMM
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »

He's going to be a Cardinal as his predecessor was, and is addressed as Patriarch unofficially.  The question is do they make it official, meaning changing the title on paper.

I don't see why anyone cares.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

AFAIK Patriarch is just a honorific title with no practical features. On the other hand Cardinal title gives the possibility to vote for the Pope (and be voted too).
Actually, anyone (male and in communion that is) can be elected.  You don't even have to be a deacon.  I thought all of their patrirarchs were cardinals ex officio.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »

Good luck with that.

laugh laugh laugh

Cynic!!

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »

Good luck with that.
Yeah, given the recent play up in the Vatican News services about Pat. Kirill and Met. Hilarion and improving relations, it would be interesting.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »

No. Patriarchs of the Eastern Rite may be cardinals, however, in which case they always belong to the order of cardinal bishops. But a number of Latin Rite archbishops have the title patriarch, such as the patriarch of Venice, the patriarch of Lisbon, and the patriarch of the Gauls. They are normally cardinals, but the red hat is never automatic. And the Latin patriarch of Jerusalem isn't a cardinal, either in fact or by custom.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »

No. Patriarchs of the Eastern Rite may be cardinals, however, in which case they always belong to the order of cardinal bishops. But a number of Latin Rite archbishops have the title patriarch, such as the patriarch of Venice, the patriarch of Lisbon, and the patriarch of the Gauls. They are normally cardinals, but the red hat is never automatic. And the Latin patriarch of Jerusalem isn't a cardinal, either in fact or by custom.

Okay, but hypothetically speaking, if a bishop is a patriarch, but not a cardinal, would a non-patriarch cardinal outrank him?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »

Outrank where? In what area? You are now trying to compare color and size.

Cardinal is a function and Patriarch is a rank. Cardinal is the second highest function in the Catholic Church. Patriarch is the second highest title of the Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:37:54 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »

He isn't sui juris either. Just another Latin bishop.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »

If it wasn't given previously I would not hold my breath, heck the ink of his signature hasn't dryed yet...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »

I think that he must make the request and he needs to make it immediately and anyone who thinks that Pope Benedict doesn't or didn't know it was coming must live under a mushroom cap.

It is the best thing for Ukriane and most likely will be good for the entire region, including Russia, though I expect the MP would not necessarily share those sediments....pun.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

If the Eastern Catholic Churches are Rome's sisters, then why do they need the Vatican's permission to change the title of one of their heads? Shouldn't the decision of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Catholic Church be official enough?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

If the Eastern Catholic Churches are Rome's sisters, then why do they need the Vatican's permission to change the title of one of their heads? Shouldn't the decision of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Catholic Church be official enough?

Indeed, those are the types of questions that I often pose to my Eastern Catholic friends in the context of what being a 'sui juris' Church means.

BTW, the new Major-Archbishop has to make this request as it is expected by his flock. I would anticipate that the answer from Rome will be as it has been for some years.  The Greek Catholics will honor him as Patriarch anyway, and the rest of us will use the Major-Archbishop title.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:44:43 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »

No doubt, tho' perhaps Metropolitan Hilarion's response to Metropolitan Svyatoslav's enthronement will embolden Rome to approve a change?

http://www.ugcc.org.ua/news_single.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=4832&cHash=e1343ac7308e74dfdb5ece2d1251b62a

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Just a realist. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »

No doubt, tho' perhaps Metropolitan Hilarion's response to Metropolitan Svyatoslav's enthronement will embolden Rome to approve a change?

http://www.ugcc.org.ua/news_single.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=4832&cHash=e1343ac7308e74dfdb5ece2d1251b62a

There was nothing on that link?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »

You have to paste it into your browser. As you can see not the whole one is the active link.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

If you actually read what the Archbishop has said, it becomes more clear, at least clear to me that the latest Ukrainian Patriarch is going to Rome to "explain" why the UGCC is a patriarchate in the traditional meaning and emergence of the term.  He will ask for the Pope's blessing.  He may receive it.  He may not.  He may yield to what the Pope tells him about public display of the title, he may not.

We are living in a brave new ecclesial world folks.  I am enjoying watching it unfold and am very happy to be alive in these invigorating times full of new saints and martyrs and renewed understandings of Church, Mystery, Mystical Body, Communion and Caritas.

Glory be to God!

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »

Here I thought I was a realist too...perhaps I am also an optimist!... Tongue

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »

If you actually read what the Archbishop has said, it becomes more clear, at least clear to me that the latest Ukrainian Patriarch is going to Rome to "explain" why the UGCC is a patriarchate in the traditional meaning and emergence of the term.  He will ask for the Pope's blessing.  He may receive it.  He may not.  He may yield to what the Pope tells him about public display of the title, he may not.

According to his own Church he is a Major Archbishop. His flock may call him an Ayatollah but they won't change the reality.

I really doubt he can disobey the Pope and start using the Patriarch title  without his approval. Can you prove it?

It clearly shows how in reality Pope treats with his Eastern flock.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:36:47 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »

As I said the other day I don't believe this trip and its purposes will come as much of a shock to Pope Benedict since every audience has its advance agenda established in writing...and the Archbishop's own plans are not secret.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »

What did Metropolitan Hilarion say?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »

You have to paste it into your browser. As you can see not the whole one is the active link.

Thank you, the Google translation was awful, but I got the gist.

I wouldn't expect much of a change as Metropolitan Hilarion is not know for any history of kind words towards the Greek Catholics.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »

According to his own Church he is a Major Archbishop. His flock may call him an Ayatollah but they won't change the reality.

I really doubt he can disobey the Pope and start using the Patriarch title  without his approval. Can you prove it?

If he does not use the title in that case, it will be because he chooses not to for the good of the whole Church.

You all act as if eastern bishops are impotent pee-stained old men who can't do anything without aid and assistance.

No.  IF the Unia has been treated badly, our bishops have as much to bear with that as anyone in the Vatican.  That is but one of the widely ignored elephants in the living room.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »

It is the whole 'sui juris' issue again. With our without the Vatican's approval or disapproval, the UGCC faithful and clergy will call him Patriarch as they did to his predecessors. This would happen even if the official publications of the UGCC used the Major Archbishop title.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »

You all act as if eastern bishops are impotent pee-stained old men who can't do anything without aid and assistance.

Election of each and every UC Bishop has to be approved by Vatican.

http://www.ugcc.org.ua./news_single.0.html?&L=4&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3462&cHash=aabd94cf21407d36e72fb4d21aca9134&type=98
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:11:57 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

http://www.ugcc.org.ua./news_single.0.html?&L=4&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3462&cHash=aabd94cf21407d36e72fb4d21aca9134&type=98

Unless there is some circumstance that is compelling concerning any one of the men put forward for election, the "approval" is a blessing on the chosen candidate.

There is a list of three names listed in rank order approved by the synod and sent to Rome.  How many times have we seen it that the first name on the list has not become bishop.  Only in Churches who have had very venal and sinful leadership, and are about to clone another one,  has Rome intervened to help them find a candidate more morally, spiritually and ecclesiastically suited to lead a diocese or a particular Church.

It's not at all a high handed conspiracy against anyone or any Church.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »

So there are no truly autocephalous or autonomous churches in modern Roman Catholicism then, just self-governing churches organized by rite?

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 12:54:06 PM »

So there are no truly autocephalous or autonomous churches in modern Roman Catholicism then, just self-governing churches organized by rite?

Compared to what? Orthodoxy's "truly' autocephalous Churches?...the ones who don't need ANYONE's signature on the election of a new bishop or Metropolitan?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

No offense, but the canons of the early ecumenical councils established that each regional church (what eventually coalesced into the Churches of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem) was responsible through its synod for the election of new bishops. There was no talk of forwarding nominations onto another synod, much less a single bishop. No offense intended! God knows the Local Orthodox Churches could stand to coordinate a little more closely than they tend to do at the present.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

No offense, but the canons of the early ecumenical councils established that each regional church (what eventually coalesced into the Churches of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem) was responsible through its synod for the election of new bishops. There was no talk of forwarding nominations onto another synod, much less a single bishop. No offense intended! God knows the Local Orthodox Churches could stand to coordinate a little more closely than they tend to do at the present.

No offense taken.

If all bishops are equal and local synodal election of bishops is canonical, why do we have this, for example:

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/7408.htm

AMM
Archon

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

Because that church is semi autonomous.  A truly self ruling church cannot have its primate confirmed by another.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:51:44 PM by AMM » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »

Because that church is semi autonomous.  A truly self ruling church cannot have its primate confirmed by another.

My question is more broad reaching than that.  Why does ANY local synod need to have that kind of primatial endorsement or blessing IF as all Orthodoxy seems to say "all bishops are equal"....Why does it not STOP with the local Synod. 

Where the bishop is; there is the Church...no?   

Well I am thinking with the evidence before me...perhaps not.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »

My question is more broad reaching than that.  Why does ANY local synod need to have that kind of primatial endorsement or blessing IF as all Orthodoxy seems to say "all bishops are equal"....Why does it not STOP with the local Synod. 

I think because the term 'conciliarity'/sobornost  has different meanings to different national Orthodox churches. After all, some are somewhat modeled administratively upon the Roman model while others are, for lack of a better term, more 'free-form' and less structured.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »

I think because the term 'conciliarity'/sobornost  has different meanings to different national Orthodox churches. After all, some are somewhat modeled administratively upon the Roman model while others are, for lack of a better term, more 'free-form' and less structured.

Understood and agreed!  Not troubled by it but grow weary of being singled out as being part of a Church that is sooooo very different administratively from Orthodoxy.  There are more than a few, generally ignored, similarities.  I am not saying that it is the same, but it is similar enough so that we should be able to dispense with this idea that the office of the Holy Father is one of brutal repression.

M.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »

Unless there is some circumstance that is compelling concerning any one of the men put forward for election, the "approval" is a blessing on the chosen candidate.

There is a list of three names listed in rank order approved by the synod and sent to Rome.  How many times have we seen it that the first name on the list has not become bishop.  Only in Churches who have had very venal and sinful leadership, and are about to clone another one,  has Rome intervened to help them find a candidate more morally, spiritually and ecclesiastically suited to lead a diocese or a particular Church.

It's not at all a high handed conspiracy against anyone or any Church.

Why then has the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, Byzantine Rite, had its see vacant for over a year since Metropolitan Basil of blessed memory reposed?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »

Understood and agreed!  Not troubled by it but grow weary of being singled out as being part of a Church that is sooooo very different administratively from Orthodoxy.  There are more than a few, generally ignored, similarities.  I am not saying that it is the same, but it is similar enough so that we should be able to dispense with this idea that the office of the Holy Father is one of brutal repression.

M.

It has been observed that the Roman Church has much to learn from the East's view of sobornost/conciliarity and the Orthodox have much to learn from the organizational skills of the Romans!  One doesn't need to agree on any dogmatic issues to understand that point!  Wink
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »

Why then has the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, Byzantine Rite, had its see vacant for over a year since Metropolitan Basil of blessed memory reposed?

I cannot tell you the answer to that.  Well...I could conjecture but I won't do it publicly.  It is a very unhealthy Metropolitan See.  That is all I can say.  And it is my home for the time being so to say the least the past decade has been deeply distressing to me and to others.  The fault does NOT lie in Rome however.  It begins right here at home.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: