OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:33:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help understanding the liturgy  (Read 3013 times) Average Rating: 0
Protestant seeker

I'm a llama!

« on: December 12, 2002, 11:56:59 AM »

Does anybody know where I can find (preferably online) something that explains why different things are done and what they mean during the course of the Divine Liturgy? Sort of a play-by-play explaination so to speak is what I am looking for. The reason that I ask is that while I love the Divine Liturgy, my wife and I don't really understand what everything means and why certain things are done. Keep in mind that we are from a low-church evangelical background, so some of the terms
the Orthodox use (especially if they are Greek or Russian words) are puzzling to us.
   I suppose it would be the same for a Catholic or Orthodox if they attended an evangelical church where all the lingo is in "evangelese"
so to speak. Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful.

In Christ,

P.S.

NULL
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 01:00:39 PM »

Try this, from St Elias Ukrainian Catholic Church in Brampton, Ontario, Canada: http://www.saintelias.com/Liturgy_elia/Liturgy_elia.html

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 05:49:25 PM »

Here are a few links that might help

www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/liturgy_e.htm
www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/liturgy_e2.htm
www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/liturgy_pomazansky.htm
www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7117.asp
www.sspeterpaul.org/priest.html (Priest's service book in English)
www.decani.yunet.com/doctrine3.html

I came across this too which I think is of benefit to all of us. Remember that during the Liturgy, the whole Church is involved. not just the earthly, but the heavenly too.
“(At the conclusion of the Kairon) the priest prostrated in the middle of the church before the holy icons, entered the holy place to don the sacred vestments and wash his hands. Then, as he drew near to the prothesis, the emperor saw the priest’s face begin to brighten! It became brighter than the sun! It was like the face of an angel! Know ye that this is the appearance of all Christ’s priests when they perform the divine services.

Then the emperor saw a great multitude of angels arrayed in white robes, also with bright faces, descending from above. And in their midst was a Wonderful Child, whose beauty was beyond all heavenly and earthly beauties, and the radiance of His face brightened even more the faces of the angels surrounding Him GǪ

The emperor could not believe his eyes, for he now saw that a great multitude of people had filled the church. They were so numerous that they even filled the holy place, surrounding the priest! The people reverently looked at the priest and they all began to pray. What the emperor was seeing was the countless number of people for whom the priest was praying, saints and sinner, living and departed.

The emperor saw the All-holy Virgin clothed in a robe of gold, adorned in varied colors, come and stand at the right hand of her Wonderful Child. He saw St John the Forerunner, severe and thin, clothed in a robe of camel’s hair and girded about with a leather belt. He saw the glorious prophets, the holy apostles of Jesus Christ the Wonderful Child, and all the wonder- working saints, the right-victorious martyrs and the venerable and righteous men and women.

Their faces were luminous and shining brightly, though some of them had wounds and mangled bodies, while others were very thin and gaunt because of their ascetic labors. All of them had joyfully offered their lives to Christ, the Wonderful Child whom they now surrounded to worship and adore.”

From “The Revelation of the Holy Liturgy to the Unbelieving Emperor”
Protestant seeker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 12:50:06 PM »

These were all good links!

God Bless,

P.S.

NULL
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 01:51:50 PM »

Try this, from St Elias Ukrainian Catholic Church in Brampton, Ontario, Canada: http://www.saintelias.com/Liturgy_elia/Liturgy_elia.html

I bookmarked it before.

It is an excellent site.

I should visit that church when going to Toronto.  It looks like a haven for Orthodox minded BC's.

In IC XC
Samer
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 06:11:30 PM »

A good book is Living the Liturgy by Fr. Stanley Harakas (last name may be spelled wrong....Greek names are too much for me!)

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 02:14:49 AM »

A good book is Living the Liturgy by Fr. Stanley Harakas (last name may be spelled wrong....Greek names are too much for me!)

Not to fear, Derek!  You've spelled Fr. Stanley's name correctly.   Smiley

Hypo-Ortho
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 03:10:35 PM »

Not to fear, Derek!  You've spelled Fr. Stanley's name correctly

I already know then that I have been in the GOA too long if I can spell Greek names!  Wink

In all honesty though I love this jurisdiction - it is a perfect fit for me despite being of Polish descent.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 12:03:18 AM »

I already know then that I have been in the GOA too long if I can spell Greek names!  Wink

In all honesty though I love this jurisdiction - it is a perfect fit for me despite being of Polish descent.  

Well then, you know how I feel about being in the OCA as a Slav American.  But then, I'm only half Polish in descent from my father's side and a first generation American of Ukie descent on my mother's side.  Even so, because I am dyslexic, I am totally unable to master Slavonic script, even in the new orthography.  The same goes for Russian and Ukrainian.  I have no prob whatever in reading Polish or Slovak though.   Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 01:00:22 AM »

Well then, you know how I feel about being in the OCA as a Slav American.  But then, I'm only half Polish in descent from my father's side and a first generation American of Ukie descent on my mother's side.  Even so, because I am dyslexic, I am totally unable to master Slavonic script, even in the new orthography.  The same goes for Russian and Ukrainian.  I have no prob whatever in reading Polish or Slovak though.   Grin

Hypo-Ortho

Tak vy hovorite po slovensky? Moja man++elka je slovenka, tak musil som sa +¦-ìi+Ñ hovori+Ñ po slovensky!

In Christ,

anastasios
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 01:01:46 AM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2002, 01:40:27 AM »

Quote from: Derek
[/quote

Tak vy hovorite po slovensky? Moja man++elka je slovenka, tak musil som sa +¦-ìi+Ñ hovori+Ñ po slovensky!

In Christ,

anastasios

Anastasios, I said I could *read* Slovak, not necessarily speak or write it!    Embarrassed  Tvoja manzelka may be a Slovenka, and that's why you must learn Slovak, but I'm not the one who could help you.   I do somewhat better at Polish though.   Wink

Hypo-Ortho
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 01:46:32 AM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: