Author Topic: Vestments of Bishop Video  (Read 1033 times)

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
Vestments of Bishop Video
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
Earlier today, I filmed the vesting of our bishop (my priest told me some time ago it was ok to videotape in church whenever I have the chance so long as I don't interfere).  As I was filming, I thought it could also be a great means of educating others on the names and significance of each of the bishop's many vestments.  So, I ended up creating an annotated version of the video.  Since I am not yet overly familiar with Orthodox vestments, I was wondering if some others here could look at the video and give me feedback as to the annotations I made.  Any corrections of identification, description, would be helpful.  Much appreciation in advance!

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKLxTWs886s
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:47:58 AM by StGeorge »

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
Re: Vestments of Bishop Video
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:14:25 AM »
Everything was Great  other than the soap Box the Bishop stands on ..... Never cared for those ,,Thank God i haven't seen them in Serbian Churches so far... I've been to a Russian Church for Great and Holy Friday and Saturday and when the church was darkend they had a much larger Soap Box, than the one in the video,  one can trip over the platform and brake a leg in the darkness  i say those platforms can be hazardous for elderly and young alike :police:
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:29:42 AM »
Fascinating video.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
can trip over the platform and brake a leg in the darkness  i say those platforms can be hazardous for elderly and young alike :police:

I agree. I've seen a few very hard collapses.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
Everything was Great  other than the soap Box the Bishop stands on ..... Never cared for those ,,Thank God i haven't seen them in Serbian Churches so far... I've been to a Russian Church for Great and Holy Friday and Saturday and when the church was darkend they had a much larger Soap Box, than the one in the video,  one can trip over the platform and brake a leg in the darkness  i say those platforms can be hazardous for elderly and young alike :police:

Wow, we agree again!  FYI, I never have had much interaction with Serbs or Romanians as there are no churches in my part of New York that are Serbian or Romanian. But I have learned here that many of the customs and practices of the Carpatho-Russians/Rusyns/Ruthenians (call us what you want, but don't call us Russian!  :) are common to Serbs and Romanians. For years we have heard folks first from the Metropolia, now the OCA, lecture us that such things are not Orthodox but that they are Latin or western and should be purged. As I grow older and learned more, it was gratifying to know that was not necessarily  the case and it was the fact that they were not Russian customs that actually bothered them. Anyway, I have observed over the years that all of us have learned that the wide diversity of local custom and practice within American orthodoxy doesn't divide us in Faith.

A beautiful video. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:40:56 AM by podkarpatska »

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
Earlier today, I filmed the vesting of our bishop (my priest told me some time ago it was ok to videotape in church whenever I have the chance so long as I don't interfere).  As I was filming, I thought it could also be a great means of educating others on the names and significance of each of the bishop's many vestments.  So, I ended up creating an annotated version of the video.  Since I am not yet overly familiar with Orthodox vestments, I was wondering if some others here could look at the video and give me feedback as to the annotations I made.  Any corrections of identification, description, would be helpful.  Much appreciation in advance!

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKLxTWs886s

I think I know one of the sub-deacons in the video!  Thank you for sharing btw! 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
Everything was Great  other than the soap Box the Bishop stands on ..... Never cared for those ,,Thank God i haven't seen them in Serbian Churches so far... I've been to a Russian Church for Great and Holy Friday and Saturday and when the church was darkend they had a much larger Soap Box, than the one in the video,  one can trip over the platform and brake a leg in the darkness  i say those platforms can be hazardous for elderly and young alike :police:

Wow, we agree again!  FYI, I never have had much interaction with Serbs or Romanians as there are no churches in my part of New York that are Serbian or Romanian. But I have learned here that many of the customs and practices of the Carpatho-Russians/Rusyns/Ruthenians (call us what you want, but don't call us Russian!  :) are common to Serbs and Romanians. For years we have heard folks first from the Metropolia, now the OCA, lecture us that such things are not Orthodox but that they are Latin or western and should be purged. As I grow older and learned more, it was gratifying to know that was not necessarily  the case and it was the fact that they were not Russian customs that actually bothered them. Anyway, I have observed over the years that all of us have learned that the wide diversity of local custom and practice within American orthodoxy doesn't divide us in Faith.

A beautiful video. Thanks for posting.

Glad you liked the video. 

I was chrismated in ACROD and before then attended a Ruthenian church.  I am interested by your statement that many Carpatho-Russian traditions are similiar to those of the Serbs and Romanians but are mistaken as Latinizations.  Could you perhaps give some examples? 

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
very interesting.  not ,ong ago, I was in the position of the nervose altar boy giving the bishop his mitre on the tray  ;)

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »
Glad that everyone else enjoyed the video as well.  8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:17:27 AM by StGeorge »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Nice video.  You have the annotations for the Cross and Panagia (Engolpion in the Greek tradition) backwards.  The Cross was put on first (and it was matched with the Deacon's prayer), then the Engolpion.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:42:52 PM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
Nice video.  You have the annotations for the Cross and Panagia (Engolpion in the Greek tradition) backwards.  The Cross was put on first (and it was matched with the Deacon's prayer), then the Engolpion.

Thanks Fr. George.  I flipped the annotations. 

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Glad I could help!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.