OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:42:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Search and Finding Best Topic posts  (Read 613 times) Average Rating: 0
Walter Skold
Awfully Confused

Faith: Evangelical
Jurisdiction: USA

« on: March 27, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »

I am aware that one can use the Search function to find tags and topics, BUT, here is my further question/suggestion.

Is there a place where the "Best Topic Posts" have been gathered, in a sort of index or compilation? It would seem to me that many of the board topics have been discussed many many times before, and that it would be helpful to have a place to go to find archives of past discussions which were the "best" ones, in terms of scope, depth and accuracy of the replies.

Having such a Forum could save someone a lot of time when searching for what has already been said/debated before. And, being that this Forum is hosted by Orthodox believers, I would not mind if such "best posts" were those that sort of favored or summed up the Orthodox position, because even such posts have interplay and feedback from different points of view.

OK, that's just my two shekel's worth.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »

Such an effort would take an enormous amount of overhead and oversight on any board.

Google is your friend. Get to know the board you are on. Learn the posters you think post quality material. Then learn to use google to cull those posts from the board.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »

I also would like an Index of sort of the best topics, you'll see a few of them stickied in certain subsections of the board. Like orthonorm said, if you dig deep enough in your searches you'll find some excellent threads.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »

The above is partly what tags are for. Learn to use tags correctly, and they can help you immensely.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:43:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:48:52 PM »

Fwiw, I've been here 8+ years, and in that time I can only remember using google a few times to search for something on the forum. The trick is just to key in on a fairly rare term used in a discussion, or to search for terms used by a particular user. For example, searching for "Chrysostom" is gonna bring up a boat load of links, but if you can search for something more specific like "Homily 12 on Philippians," things work fine. Of course, it takes time to get a feel for what/who to search for. And as PetertheAleut mentioned, tags are helpful in getting you pointed in the right direction.

Though now that I think about it, didn't Fr. Anastasios mention using Google as helping lessen the stress on the site? Ahh well, do as you find best Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

You can also check Post of the Month topics.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »

How do you get stars next to your name?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »

How do you get stars next to your name?

This has been addressed before.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.orthodoxchristianity.net%2Fforum+stars+name

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: