OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. Quinn, Cardinal Bernardin and the New York Times  (Read 418 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: March 25, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »

Given many of the questions bandied back and forth on the now closed Washington Post piece, comes this article in this morning's New York Times. I have been an admirer of the late Cardinal Bernardin for a long time and this article is quite timely. 

Governor’s Change of Heart Is Influenced by Faith  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/us/26religion.html?_r=1&hp

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

Good article!

And you're right, it is timely.  There are those who would vilify and symbolically crucify HB Jonah for making Orthodoxy "public", as it were.  One only has to go to OCAnews.org to see that.  Those who would do so I would invite to also take a look at OCAtruth.com, to get a more balanced view of the issues involved.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »

What about those who find capital punishment appropriate and morally justifiable based on their religious beliefs?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:54:17 PM by AMM » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:04 AM »

I don't know.  I've heard a lot of creepy stuff about the late Cardinal Bernadine which would, if verified make me extremely dubious about supporting anyone who was under his spiritual guidance.

I'm sure that he had his virtues though.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: