OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First question... about baptism  (Read 650 times) Average Rating: 0
zhivago

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: n/a

« on: March 26, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »

What "requirements" if any, are there, or should be there for someone wanting to be baptized into the Orthodox Church? I would like to add to that question... "Did John the Baptist have any requirements other than desire before he would baptize anyone?" and (since I don't know if it is in scripture) " Did Christ have any preliminary requirements for the person before baptism? Thanks in advance.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

The most basic one is the believing in what is written in the Creed and what the Church teaches. People are being taught the Church teachings in the period of catechumenate before baptism.

St. John required repentance as his baptism symbolised the repentance from sins.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
zhivago

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: n/a

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:05 PM »

Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »

Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church.

Baptism is a matter of a pastoral nature of your Priest and Bishop. In practice you see various folks reception into the Church via Baptism handled quite differently.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »

"But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church."

If I understand you correctly--and I'm not certain I do--he may have been suggesting that baptism into the Orthodox Church is a serious commitment. That is to say, an Orthodox priest won't baptize anyone unless he believes they are going to lead a life shaped by Orthodox values. Part of Orthodox values is regular attendance at church and continuous involvement in the life of the church. You can't just bop down to and Orthodox church on an impulse and get baptized, and then go on and lead an unchanged life. 'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »

'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.

And I thought it was another term for Cradle Orthodox.  angel

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year commitment to the church.

I would think that a lifetime commitment would be expected.   The symbolism is dieing to oneself and living in Christ.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.

And I thought it was another term for Cradle Orthodox.  angel

I resent that implication.  Angry

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: