Author Topic: First question... about baptism  (Read 805 times)

Offline zhivago

First question... about baptism
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
What "requirements" if any, are there, or should be there for someone wanting to be baptized into the Orthodox Church? I would like to add to that question... "Did John the Baptist have any requirements other than desire before he would baptize anyone?" and (since I don't know if it is in scripture) " Did Christ have any preliminary requirements for the person before baptism? Thanks in advance.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Re: First question... about baptism
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
The most basic one is the believing in what is written in the Creed and what the Church teaches. People are being taught the Church teachings in the period of catechumenate before baptism.

St. John required repentance as his baptism symbolised the repentance from sins.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline zhivago

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:05 PM »
Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church.

Baptism is a matter of a pastoral nature of your Priest and Bishop. In practice you see various folks reception into the Church via Baptism handled quite differently.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline sainthieu

• Abstractor of the Quintessence
  • High Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
"But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year committment to the church."

If I understand you correctly--and I'm not certain I do--he may have been suggesting that baptism into the Orthodox Church is a serious commitment. That is to say, an Orthodox priest won't baptize anyone unless he believes they are going to lead a life shaped by Orthodox values. Part of Orthodox values is regular attendance at church and continuous involvement in the life of the church. You can't just bop down to and Orthodox church on an impulse and get baptized, and then go on and lead an unchanged life. 'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.

And I thought it was another term for Cradle Orthodox.  :angel:
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
Ok, those things have been completed and the leaders are more than satisfied in that respect. But the priest spoke before baptism about "stability" and a 3-5 year commitment to the church.

I would think that a lifetime commitment would be expected.   The symbolism is dieing to oneself and living in Christ.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
'Casual Orthodox' is an oxymoron.

And I thought it was another term for Cradle Orthodox.  :angel:

I resent that implication.  >:(
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11