OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:14:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crucifixion and children  (Read 826 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

So, our 3-year old boy today asked us, "why did Jesus die on the cross?"

I had no idea how to explain it to him, honestly, in a way that would make sense to him. Any thoughts?
In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »

I had no idea how to explain it to him, honestly, in a way that would make sense to him. Any thoughts?
In Christ,
Jim

Is he asking why did He have to die specifically (as opposed to living forever without dying), or why did He have to die on the cross (as opposed to dying in bed)?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:35:22 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »

We are very sick in our hearts, He died on the cross so that we can get well.  Because He loves us.

There will be more questions according to his ability to ask. . .just keep it very simple . . . and take one question at a time.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »

In Christ,
Jim

Is he asking why did He have to die specifically (as opposed to living forever without dying), or why did He have to die on the cross (as opposed to dying in bed)?
I'm not certain really. He asked a bunch, simply, why did Jesus die on the cross? He also is very curious aboutthe soldier cutting him, and I don't even know where he heard that part! Quick boy.
Thank you both for the input. I've anticipated these kinds of issues. Until now, it's been hard to explain, but not so hard, a lot of emphasis on how much Jesus loves everyone, how important communion is, how special of a place church is, etc.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »

The emphasis has to be on love at this point. Christ died because He loved us. I imagine that he knows about Adam and Eve. So he has an idea about sin entering the world. What he needs to know is that Christ loves us and died because of that love, and not because of a wrathful/vengeful Father. This is also a good time to bring up how death isn't a punishment. Death is a gift from God. Without death we would be trapped here on earth and the consequences of sin eternally. The people left behind are sad but death is not meant to be a punishment. If you take the punishment angle out of sin, it makes the concept of death more understandable for children. Once they understand death, they can understand Christ's death more fully.

The soldier aspect is fairly easy to explain since it is laid out in scripture pretty clearly.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »

I think one simplistic-sounding Biblical answer for the question "why" he underwent the sacrifice is: in order to make people righteous and to bear their sins. And we see that many people have become righteous with the knowledge that Jesus brought them. But still, there are more questions, like how did his sacrifice do this. I myself, one who looks for Christ, am very limited in what I know and my understanding, and feel my weakness in this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:02:52 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: