OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:48:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: losing faith in god  (Read 1665 times) Average Rating: 0
fiker

Faith: ethiopian orthodox
Jurisdiction: ethiopian orthodox

« on: March 26, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »

i feel like god betrayed me. most things i prayed for in the last couple of months were answered no. someone tell me what i should do.i really need help.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »

What were you asking for? Sometimes the answer is no and sometimes it takes awhile for that prayer to be answered as a yes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »

i feel like god betrayed me. most things i prayed for in the last couple of months were answered no. someone tell me what i should do.i really need help.

I will pray for you.

Do you have a spiritual father with whom you can confess?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »

have you considered that you are asking for what you shouldn't have, don't need, or may harm you?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
OtherguyLB

Faith: Agnostic, but lover of Theology and Church History.
Jurisdiction: Under Myself

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »

Don't lose faith, there is no coming back to it afterwards... I lost faith in childhood and now I have no hope of getting it back. Faith is a treasure, keep it...
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »

Personally, I think an ongoing sense of sorrow in this suffering world is healthy and sober. If we apply this to obey the will of God to love Him and our neighbor, we can cope with living in this tragic place persevering in our faith. If we become dejected, we lose our faith in God, are adrift, & may lose our sense of right and wrong. I think basic prayer and attitude formation behind our actions will keep us and whatever small good you can do may be a miracle for another person.

Antiochian OC N.A.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »

Maybe, the answer NO, is what is best for you in the long run.

A friend of mine wanted to enter politics.  She really, really wanted it.  She had some sad things happen to her and everyone wanted her to be happy, so supported her in her race to get elected.  Everyone hoped she would win.

She did.

We never see her in church anymore.  She's too busy, too important,...and her "politics" don't follow the teachings of our Faith, anymore.

Now, we wish we had prayed that what was best for her be done....and that she would have lost the election.  She would  have been sad, but, would have gotten over it.

As it stands now, we've lost her.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »

I would have to echo what people here have said.

We don't know how things will turn out...we do not always pray for the things we should have, sometimes God protects us from the harm we would inflict upon ourselves with our wants and does not allow us to have that which we desire.

Other times, God in His love and respect grants us something that we desire, even if it is not His will for us. Look at His granting the wish of Israel for a king, against God's will for the nation. See how that turned out?

Remember that, "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." (2 Timothy 2:13)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:15:38 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Monk Cyprian

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »

God isn't a vending machine.  If we ask for a pony for Christmas and we don't get it, we're not justified in animosity towards God who "didn't give us what we asked for".

Prayer really isn't about asking for whatever we want, although that is certainly permissible.  It's about learning to agree with God.  God is going to do His will regardless, and prayer is our way of participating in that work, as long as we agree with God.  That's why "Thy will be done" is one of the best prayers.  It will always be answered.  This becomes more and more obvious when one grows in spiritual maturity.

If you're losing your faith in God over not getting something you prayed for, then you need some serious pastoral counselling.  God is Who He is regardless of whether He answers our prayers.  He isn't a vending machine - don't treat Him like one.

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »

Hang in there. Sometimes we are all on fire with faith, other times we go through dry patches. God isn't Santa Claus. If we don't get the things we want most, we have to face the fact that life has its disappointments - sometimes really nasty disappointments. I find it helpful to look around, see what others are going through and thank my lucky stars that I'm not in the same situation. Look for what is positive in your life and hold onto that. And pray if you can - if you can't, get others to pray for you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:27:30 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

When I first wanted to be a nun more than half my lifetime ago an elderly Catholic sister said to me, “Remember, joy and sorrow are sisters in the same house.”  She was right. It is never easy but there is still joy, sometimes even in refusal, sometimes you do have to let go (as much as it hurts) of what you want and even then you only see what He wants in “glints and hints and gestures” (to borrow from Rupert Brooke). A couple of years ago I was praying for a spiritual father. I wanted some marvellous, ancient (preferably Russian) hieromonk, you know, all the works. I had practically measured his beard. God gave me an Antiochian married priest barely a year older than I am. I have the best spiritual father in the world although it took some time for that to dent my thick head. God’s answers are not ours. Persevere. Keep going. Sooner or later you will look back and see God working in all this.

In Christ’s love, Sr Margaret.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »

May God grant you all that is needful for you.  And may He grant, too, that you will accept with thanks, love and humility that which He gives you, and that which He does not.

Monk Cyprian hit it on the head.  God is not a vending machine, and no amount of our wanting Him to be will make it so.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »

While I hear what many have said, is it so wrong to ask? Here is my situation: I went back to school in mid 30s, and borrowed a boatload of money to do it. I made this choice because it seemed the best way to move ahead in career. I want a dent paying job where I am happy, so that a)Ideally I can be able to provide for a godly lady and get married, but also b)if God does not want me to be married, I can still enjoy my own life, and as such hopefully be a better spiritual force for those around me.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

Don't lose faith, there is no coming back to it afterwards... I lost faith in childhood and now I have no hope of getting it back. Faith is a treasure, keep it...

This is not true, there is always hope for the unbeliever. I completely lost my faith to the point where I was a comfortable atheist, and yet the church brought me back.

also, i had a change in perspective, i destroyed the caricature in my mind of what i thought faith to be...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:04:09 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »

As I stated in another thread, my wife and I have had prayers answered, but you have to be patient.  God works according his schedule, not ours.  I will keep you in my prayers.
fiker

Faith: ethiopian orthodox
Jurisdiction: ethiopian orthodox

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICES. IT HELPS. Smiley Grin Cheesy
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »

While I hear what many have said, is it so wrong to ask? Here is my situation: I went back to school in mid 30s, and borrowed a boatload of money to do it. I made this choice because it seemed the best way to move ahead in career. I want a dent paying job where I am happy, so that a)Ideally I can be able to provide for a godly lady and get married, but also b)if God does not want me to be married, I can still enjoy my own life, and as such hopefully be a better spiritual force for those around me.

You can still be married and enjoy life, even without a decent paying job or moving ahead in your career. Heck, you can even be happy. I'm living proof.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

I don't think it's "wrong to ask".  To expect, however, that God will grant us what we ask for, on our terms, really pushes the envelope. 

I want what I want, but get what I get.  Sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes I don't.   If I'd want what I get, then I'll have gotten what I want.  Easy!  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »

Sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes I don't.   If I'd want what I get, then I'll have gotten what I want.  Easy!  Grin

I'm going to go lie down in a dark room now...

Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »

Sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes I don't.   If I'd want what I get, then I'll have gotten what I want.  Easy!  Grin

I'm going to go lie down in a dark room now...

Wink

LOL!! Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: