OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:44:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation  (Read 424 times) Average Rating: 0
David6

« on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I'll need to baptized again, I was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church and I if I don't have to does the Chrismation cermony forgive all my past sins like a baptism?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:13 AM »

It depends on the diocesan Bishop whose Diocese you would enter.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:19:24 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »

Whether you are received by Chrismation only or received by both Baptism and Chrismation differs in different jurisdictions, but mean the same thing. The difference is the application of "economia"  (dispensation) and "akrevia" (exactness).
Reception by Orthodox Baptism and Chrismation is "akrevia" (exactness) because there cannot be completely valid Mysteries (Sacraments) outside of the Church.
Reception by Chrsmation alone is a recognition that the external form of your baptism (with water and in the Name of the Trinity) was OK, but the Chrismation fills the external form of your baptism with what was lacking in its content (i.e., Sanctifying Grace). So when you are received by Chrismation alone, you are receiving the Sanctifying Grace of Baptism also. This is called "economia" or "dispensation".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

Please talk with your priest he will advise you of your jurisdiction's practices

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: Chrismation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: