Author Topic: Orthodox Christian View of Harry Potter  (Read 19476 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Orthodox Christian View of Harry Potter
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
It's just a little series with liberal ideas drawn into its characthers. I enjoyed reading it as a teenager and I would still probably would.
But it always sounded to me like a watered down Tolkien.

Liberal ideas like friendship, sacrifice, race equality?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:10:50 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
It's just a little series with liberal ideas drawn into its characthers. I enjoyed reading it as a teenager and I would still probably would.

Liberal ideas like race equality?

Not hard when all your characters are White. But don't they enslave elves, or something?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
A very entertaining article on the politics of Harry Potter: https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2016/09/13/jk-rowling-and-the-cauldron-of-discourse/
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »

Not hard when all your characters are White.

Hardly.

But don't they enslave elves, or something?

The wizard-muggle tension is even more important than that.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 06:29:15 PM »

Liberal ideas like (...) race equality?

Yeah.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »
But it doesn't make much sense since the difference between wizards and muggles is not explained very clearly.
Apparently muggles can be just as good as wizards in magic if they are to be instructed, so what makes the wizards different, and what's up with the blood thing?
Fortunately human differences are more obvious, even more some people like to pretend they're make believe.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »
Apparently muggles can be just as good as wizards in magic if they are to be instructed, so what makes the wizards different, and what's up with the blood thing?

Wizarding ability is innate. Muggles can't become wizards by instruction. Either you have it or you don't. Even wizarding families get the odd Squib (non-magical member). Mr Filch's frustration at his lack of progress in his course is telling enough.

The whole blood purity that Voldemort and his cronies advocate, of course, is lifted whole cloth off miscegenation laws.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:38:40 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
He didn't seem to bother all that much. In fact, Snape seemed to take some pride from it (the Half-blood Prince).
But I didn't read the 7th book, so I'm kindda in the dark I always thought Hermione was a muggle who had done good for herself, buuuuut apparently she wasn't.
Still, I don't like how they make Voldemort to be this evil personification of raaaaciiism (boo) and how evil racists are always the same.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona had a book, now out of print that not too favorable towards Harry Potter. It's called "Harry Potter -truth about the story" or something along those lines. Somehow some on here will probably dismiss it though.
It is "Innocent Fun or Insidious Threat?" It is produced by the Orthodox Missionary Brotherhood of St Poemen.

And with a title like that, I think you already know the book's conclusion. ;)
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »

Yeah.
So edgy.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »

Hardly.

White and Ginger?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona had a book, now out of print that not too favorable towards Harry Potter. It's called "Harry Potter -truth about the story" or something along those lines. Somehow some on here will probably dismiss it though.
It is "Innocent Fun or Insidious Threat?" It is produced by the Orthodox Missionary Brotherhood of St Poemen.

And with a title like that, I think you already know the book's conclusion. ;)

So pleasant of them to come out in the title already proclaiming it innocent fun ...

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »

Yeah.
So edgy.

You forgot your meme:

Fortunately this picture of a black guy will render me less edgy and kewl.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »
He didn't seem to bother all that much. In fact, Snape seemed to take some pride from it (the Half-blood Prince).
But I didn't read the 7th book, so I'm kindda in the dark I always thought Hermione was a muggle who had done good for herself, buuuuut apparently she wasn't.
Still, I don't like how they make Voldemort to be this evil personification of raaaaciiism (boo) and how evil racists are always the same.

Voldemort is a half-blood himself, and hates himself for it. Hermione is Muggle-born, hence the Malfoys' scorn for her, but she's definitely a witch, or she wouldn't be in Hogwarts.

'My pedigree is better than your pedigree' clashes exist throughout history in all cultures, whether race (as understood in modern racism) comes in or not. In a culture where a crucial ability is largely hereditary, it is naive to think the issue wouldn't or shouldn't come up.

Pure-blood supremacy

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

Hardly.

White and Ginger?

And Black, and Asian, and Oriental, and plenty of unspecifieds.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

Voldemort is a half-blood himself, and hates himself for it. Hermione is Muggle-born, hence the Malfoys' scorn for her, but she's definitely a witch, or she wouldn't be in Hogwarts.

'My pedigree is better than your pedigree' clashes exist throughout history in all cultures, whether race (as understood in modern racism) comes in or not. In a culture where a crucial ability is largely hereditary, it is naive to think the issue wouldn't or shouldn't come up.

Pure-blood supremacy

I just don't like how people discuss this matter nowadays and how some positions get stereotyped because they're "racist". Harry Potter is a part of it, that's my two cents on the matter.
Still, as I said, I would read the books and consider them to be good. It's not your Alexander Dumas or your Dostoyevsky, but does the job for entertainment. And all the fuss about satanism is just plain retarded.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »
Dumas was the Dan Brown of his time. No kidding.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
Guess people were better back then, huh. :laugh:

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »
Dumas was the Dan Brown of his time. No kidding.

Nobody but Dan Brown deserves to be called the Dan Brown of any time. Such mind-numbing page-grinding, such rudimentary syntax, yet combined with such promiscuous invention don't come along every day.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »
Guess people were better back then, huh.

It would be hard to imagine any time was worse.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2016, 04:49:21 AM »
Guess people were better back then, huh.

It would be hard to imagine any time was worse.

All of them.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »
"The Hidden Key to Harry Potter: Understanding the Meaning, Genius, and Popularity of Joanne Rowling's Harry Potter Novels" by John Granger who is Orthodox. I've not read his book, but in the link there is a description of it.

I also remember that the website of my parish has posted once a defence of Harry Potter.

And, personally, I really like it, and don'w know why there are still discussions about this book. I think vampires are much worse (despite the fact I like animation Hotel Transylvania).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)