OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for all needs rather than just eating?  (Read 339 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »

I know of course there is standardized prayer in Orthodoxy basically before eating and after eating.  

But one thing that has always struck me as curious is in other needs of the human body, some less "dignifying" than others.

Going straight to the point:  

We all need these things in order to live:
1) Air/oxygen
2) To go to the bathroom
3) Food/Water

But we only pray before we eat / drink.
I've never heard of prayers of thanks or blessing for the air we breathe (I hope there are some).  
Or even prayers before going to the bathroom. (which of course is absolutely needed to live).

Are these things considered redundant (or too gross) for prayer?  

Is prayer only something we do with things that are "desired" on a basis of normality - (all is good and we are about to eat)?  
Of course if we took away air, quickly it would be desired and we'd start praying and going into panic.  
Without going to the bathroom for a day we may start praying too (LOL, but I am trying to be serious).  

I've just never heard standardized prayer in any Christian religion for breathing or bathroom, which of course are both needed things -  air even more than food/water.  

Would we desire God's blessing to the air on occasion that we partake in a standardized way?  Or is there a prayer of good health thanking God for creating you that can eliminate waste from your body that is standardized that you can say before doing so? I'm hoping that my journey back into Orthodoxy can resolve some of these things I've thought up through the years.

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:54:18 AM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »

Food is something you partake of at specific moments in time, and prayers setting apart this time are therefore appropriate. Air is something you breathe constantly, which would make 'air prayers' at specific times kinda weird. We pray repeatedly throughout the day different prayers asking for heath, mercy, life, etc. I think 'air' would come under that category. There is of course the Apostle's command to 'pray unceasingly' and to remember God 'more often that you breathe', which is why we are all encouraged to practice the Jesus Prayer.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »

A proper prayer cycle is important for an Orthodox Christian. I remembered that some years ago there was a website with daily prayers and occasional prayers. Thanks to Google, I found it.

http://www.orthodoxnet.com/worship/dailyprayers.html 

I am not endorsing the translations per se, there are a number of them out there, but textually they are common among our varied traditions. These are attributed to the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

By studying them and practicing them, I think your questions will be answered.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »

A proper prayer cycle is important for an Orthodox Christian. I remembered that some years ago there was a website with daily prayers and occasional prayers. Thanks to Google, I found it.

http://www.orthodoxnet.com/worship/dailyprayers.html 

I am not endorsing the translations per se, there are a number of them out there, but textually they are common among our varied traditions. These are attributed to the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

By studying them and practicing them, I think your questions will be answered.

Okay, I will check out your link and get back to you.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: