Author Topic: Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Concelebration  (Read 2929 times)

Offline copticyouth93

Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Concelebration
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I recall someone asking the question on this site if the concelebration of Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Churches ever occurs, and apparently, it does every year in Zurich.

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aU_tehf9Dg&feature=related

Pray for me,

Copticyouth93

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Re: Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Concelebration
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
Are you sure this is a yearly thing? According to the video it happened in 2009 and the way the clergy are acting it seems like they have never done this before.
Joseph

Offline copticyouth93

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »
It definitely occurred in 2006 also. Its also possible that not the same clergy attend every time.

Pray for me,

Copticyouth93
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:01:13 AM by copticyouth93 »

Offline kijabeboy03

• High Elder
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
It looks like it's only Vespers, but it's promising nonetheless! :-)
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
Ehhh...:-\
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline copticyouth93

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

what's the comment referring to? the fact that you don't think this is promising or that you don't like common prayer celebrations?

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

what's the comment referring to? the fact that you don't think this is promising or that you don't like common prayer celebrations?

I think it is promising, and that makes me happy. I firmly believe in the Orthodoxy of the Non-Chalcedonian churches and I actively desire unity.

That said, this is still an uncanonical situation of concelebration since unity has not yet been achieved. That is what makes me weary.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
^You must be really emotionally invested in the issue for it to make you weary. Perhaps take a step back and get a breath of fresh air...?
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
^You must be really emotionally invested in the issue for it to make you weary. Perhaps take a step back and get a breath of fresh air...?

:P

wea·ry   /ˈwɪəri/  
[weer-ee]
adjective, -ri·er, -ri·est,  verb, -ried, -ry·ing.   –adjective
1. physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion, strain, etc.; fatigued; tired: weary eyes; a weary brain.
2. characterized by or causing fatigue: a weary journey.
3. impatient or dissatisfied with something (often followed by of ): weary of excuses.
4. characterized by or causing impatience

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/weary

And, yes, I could have also said wary. ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:03:45 PM by Benjamin the Red »

Offline copticyouth93

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
This is what holy synods requested of us-of both churches. They asked lay people, and clergy to attend to each other's services, and join in prayer. How is it that there can be unity between two churches, when the congregations of both churches cannot even pray with each other? It seems to me that unity on the local level (in prayer) must occur before the two churches unite. Its because we don't have more of these types of events that we still feel a gap between us.

Pray for me,
Copticyouth93

Offline kijabeboy03

• High Elder
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »
Agreed! I think it's this sort of thing that eventually brought the Russian Orthodox Churches in Russia and Abroad back together - their members kept going back and forth between the two churches. That's already happening between us on a lay level and now we have lesser services being concelebrated - thank God!
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
I had typed out a longer post about concelebration, but I figure I'll start a new thread, as it'll be going on a tangent on this thread, which is focused on the video itself.