OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Concelebration  (Read 2805 times) Average Rating: 0
copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I recall someone asking the question on this site if the concelebration of Eastern-Oriental Orthodox Churches ever occurs, and apparently, it does every year in Zurich.

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aU_tehf9Dg&feature=related

Pray for me,

Copticyouth93
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »

Are you sure this is a yearly thing? According to the video it happened in 2009 and the way the clergy are acting it seems like they have never done this before.

Joseph
copticyouth93

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »

It definitely occurred in 2006 also. Its also possible that not the same clergy attend every time.

Pray for me,

Copticyouth93
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:01:13 AM by copticyouth93 » Logged
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

It looks like it's only Vespers, but it's promising nonetheless! :-)

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

Ehhh...Undecided

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
copticyouth93

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

Ehhh...Undecided

what's the comment referring to? the fact that you don't think this is promising or that you don't like common prayer celebrations?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

Ehhh...Undecided

what's the comment referring to? the fact that you don't think this is promising or that you don't like common prayer celebrations?

I think it is promising, and that makes me happy. I firmly believe in the Orthodoxy of the Non-Chalcedonian churches and I actively desire unity.

That said, this is still an uncanonical situation of concelebration since unity has not yet been achieved. That is what makes me weary.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »

^You must be really emotionally invested in the issue for it to make you weary. Perhaps take a step back and get a breath of fresh air...?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »

^You must be really emotionally invested in the issue for it to make you weary. Perhaps take a step back and get a breath of fresh air...?

Tongue

wea·ry   /ˈwɪəri/  
[weer-ee]
adjective, -ri·er, -ri·est,  verb, -ried, -ry·ing.   –adjective
1. physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion, strain, etc.; fatigued; tired: weary eyes; a weary brain.
2. characterized by or causing fatigue: a weary journey.
3. impatient or dissatisfied with something (often followed by of ): weary of excuses.
4. characterized by or causing impatience

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/weary

And, yes, I could have also said wary. Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:03:45 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

copticyouth93

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »

This is what holy synods requested of us-of both churches. They asked lay people, and clergy to attend to each other's services, and join in prayer. How is it that there can be unity between two churches, when the congregations of both churches cannot even pray with each other? It seems to me that unity on the local level (in prayer) must occur before the two churches unite. Its because we don't have more of these types of events that we still feel a gap between us.

Pray for me,
Copticyouth93
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »

Agreed! I think it's this sort of thing that eventually brought the Russian Orthodox Churches in Russia and Abroad back together - their members kept going back and forth between the two churches. That's already happening between us on a lay level and now we have lesser services being concelebrated - thank God!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

I had typed out a longer post about concelebration, but I figure I'll start a new thread, as it'll be going on a tangent on this thread, which is focused on the video itself.
Tags: concelebration ignoring the canons ecumenism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: