OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Catholic schools hire Orthodox teachers?  (Read 1325 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

I'm a certified teacher looking for a permanent position. I was wondering if anyone here has experience of the inner workings of Catholic school systems. The official requirements of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia say that an applicant must be a "practicing Catholic" and provide a letter from his pastor. Naturally that must imply communion with Rome but I wonder if Orthodox Christians have managed to get hired as being "close enough" to Catholic.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »

If memory serves, the priest of the Antiochian Church in which I was chrismated taught at a local Catholic school. Unfortunately he is no longer at the parish, and I don't know where he is, or I'd give you his email address.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

Over the years I have known many non-Catholics, including Orthodox, who teach at Catholic schools.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess it won't hurt to send in an application. Another thing I have going for me: I have an Irish name  Smiley

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »

I think it depends on the subject - a fellow parishioner of mine actually teaches Latin at the local RC school, but I am nearly positive that all religion classes are taught by members of the diocese. (For a real kicker though, the RC seminary I attended had not only Orthodox, but Jews, Mormons, and Atheists on the faculty).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »

Orthodox priests certainly teach at RC universities.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

On the elementary and high school level, my hunch is that while they prefer Catholic teachers, this is usually determined by the percentage of Catholics in the given part of the country. If the Catholic population is small, then the pool of Catholic teachers is small. If a school needs a math teacher, and there are no Catholic teachers who can fill the position, I'm sure they would consider a non-Catholic applicant.

Proverbs 22:7
countertenor

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »

An Orthodox friend of mine teaches at a Catholic school in Arizona, and he mentioned that there are also some other Orthodox teachers there, including Orthodox priests.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »

Absolutely!  A good friend of mine is Orthodox and teaches physics at a catholic school in salt lake city.   When I applied for a teaching job at a catholic school, the headmaster who was also a priest really liked hearig I was Greek Orthodox because, according to him, you guys don't mess around with the faith like catholics do.  He also was happy to hear that I wasntcorrupted by the jesuits at creighton university where I did some post grad work!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

The official requirements of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia say that an applicant must be a "practicing Catholic" and provide a letter from his pastor.

I would guess that it varies. When I was in Junior High, at a Catholic school, we had one teacher who was Protestant. (She didn't teach religion.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »

When I applied for a teaching job at a catholic school, the headmaster who was also a priest really liked hearig I was Greek Orthodox because, according to him, you guys don't mess around with the faith like catholics do.

Sounds like a very interesting priest!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »

The official requirements of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia say that an applicant must be a "practicing Catholic" and provide a letter from his pastor.

I would guess that it varies. When I was in Junior High, at a Catholic school, we had one teacher who was Protestant. (She didn't teach religion.)
We had teachers who were admitted atheists. At one point, we even doubted that our freshman year religion teacher was Christian (she would tell Old Testament stories and laugh afterward...I think she was just a very liberal Catholic, though).

I WISH we had Orthodox teachers, so apply away!  Cheesy

As others said, I think it depends on the school. Perhaps you have to be Catholic INO (In name only) at the very least, or if they're desperate, they will just make you attend Masses and teach other subjects. And in my area, Catholic schools do NOT pay well with their limited budgets, so I think that getting a good, pious Orthodox teacher would be the least of their problems.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: