OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:23:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question Re: Orthodox Pascha In Jerusalem  (Read 802 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: May 17, 2004, 10:20:48 AM »

I'm having an on line discussion with my nephew who is in a Lutheran seminary and doing a paper (due tomorrow) on the Orthodox 'Holy Light'.

He brought up some interesting questions that perhaps some of you can answer -

1)  The website you gave states that the 'Holy Light' comes to the Orthodox Patriarch at around noon on Holy Saturday.  Is there any reason it is at that time rather than at midnight just prior to tne Pascha Matins?

2)  What is celebrated in the Church of the Holy Seplechure at Midnight/  Is it Matins and Liturgy?

3)  If the Holy Light comes around noon on Holy Saturday.....Is it then the people greet each other with Christ Is Risen?  And if so, why so early?

Anyone have some quick answers?

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:22:23 AM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »

2)  What is celebrated in the Church of the Holy Seplechure at Midnight/  Is it Matins and Liturgy?

I have the same question.

I would also like to ask what times do Orthodox churches in the Holy Land have a vigil service on Easter Saturday and then a litrugy on Sunday morning.

It sounds like from this article (http://www.saltfilms.net/zababdeh/apr01.html) that they have a VIGIL service from 8 PM to midnight on Saturday of Light, and then a LITURGY next morning from 3 AM to sunrise on Easter Sunday.

Do I have that right?

4/14/01:  ...We returned to Zababdeh for "Sabt in-Nour" - Saturday of Light, the Easter vigil of Holy Saturday.  The service began at 8:00 in darkness as the simple light of a candle entered the sanctuary.  The place was absolutely packed to the rafters (video - 18 sec.).  There was again a great deal of singing, both of Scripture (audio - 10 sec.) and of hymns (audio - 22 sec.).  Scripture passages were read in the style of a vigil, beginning with Genesis, recounting the whole story of redemption through the Revelation.  At the end of the service, everyone gathered outside to wish each other Happy Easter.  Because of the Intifada, the post-vigil celebrations were a bit more subdued than in years past, we were told. But that didn't stop plenty of fireworks and chocolate and Easter eggs from being shared. This nighttime vigil was much like the Christmas Eve services we are used to, which end at midnight with a "Merry Christmas."  Christ is Risen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4/15/01:  Al-Masih Qaam.  Haaqan Qaam.  Christ is Risen.  He is Risen Indeed.  Last night was the larger of the Easter services.  Today was no different than the usual Sunday morning Mass, except the service began with the return of the sanctuary items - the Bible, cross, etc. - and a brief explanation of their symbolism.  There were also a few more people than usual.  Many, many people returned to town from other parts of Palestine (Ramallah, Bethlehem, Jerusalem) to visit their families in Zababdeh.  After church, we stopped by to visit the Orthodox priest Abuna To'mie.  He was at home resting after the Orthodox Easter vigil, which begins at 3:00 am and goes until sunrise (about 6:30).  After last night's celebration, though, we couldn't quite convince ourselves out of bed to attend.  Hopefully next year.  He gave each of us an Easter egg, and then informed us that the eggs needed to battle.  This is an Orthodox tradition of some sort, where eggs are tapped tip to tip.  The smashed egg is the loser (we tied, for those of you keeping score at home).  After a traditional Easter meal of lamb and stuffed grape leaves and squash, we made one final holiday dash off to Jerusalem to connect with the events at the Holy Sepulchre.  We missed most of the late Saturday/early Sunday moments,
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:31:50 PM »

That's the settup of any Orthodox Church I've ever come across.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »

I am thinking though, what times would they have for the services? could they have a service that goes straight from 8 PM until noon the next Sunday?

(Our church doesn't have a real real early liturgy, because it would be hard for the old people. Also, the Easter midnight vigil isn't REAL long as I remember.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:41:32 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »

Orthodoc,

It's nice writing to you about Orthodoxy in Jerusalem, where our Christian faith began. It's also nice that you are talking about such an important Orthodox festival with your nephew.

You asked:

I'm having an on line discussion with my nephew who is in a Lutheran seminary and doing a paper (due tomorrow) on the Orthodox 'Holy Light'.

He brought up some interesting questions that perhaps some of you can answer -

1)  The website you gave states that the 'Holy Light' comes to the Orthodox Patriarch at around noon on Holy Saturday.  Is there any reason it is at that time rather than at midnight just prior to tne Pascha Matins?
I'm not sure why, but Fr. George noted elsewhere on the forum that the schedule for Holy Week is actually shift by 1/3-1/2 of a day. He suggested that this was done for the purpose of making the celebration "in anticipation." So this shifting appears to be the reason.

I guess it would be Vespers going into Liturgy, but I'm not sure. I guess it would be the same schedule as traditional for other Orthodox Churches. One factor affecting the schedule could be that the Church building is shared with other churches like the Roman Catholics, and their use may alter the use by the Orthodox compared to when we would use it otherwise.

3)  If the Holy Light comes around noon on Holy Saturday.....Is it then the people greet each other with Christ Is Risen?  And if so, why so early?

Anyone have some quick answers?

Orthodoc

Yes, it's then that people greet eachother with Christ is Risen in Jerualem after the event. The timing of the greeting you mentioned could simply be a folk custom that isn't in line with the Sunday service. It could just be because it's Holy Week. Or it could be as part of the anticipatory nature of the schedule of Holy Week services that I mentioned in my answer to your first question. Plus it would be ok anyway, since it's true in Christianity that Christ is Risen.

Glory be to Jesus Christ

Ialmisry:

Thanks for confirming about my question that
I would also like to ask what times do Orthodox churches in the Holy Land have a vigil service on Easter Saturday and then a litrugy on Sunday morning.

It sounds like from this article (http://www.saltfilms.net/zababdeh/apr01.html) that they have a VIGIL service from 8 PM to midnight on Saturday of Light, and then a LITURGY next morning from 3 AM to sunrise on Easter Sunday.

Do I have that right?
, as you wrote: "That's the settup of any Orthodox Church I've ever come across." This is something more for my blog (rakovskii.livejournal.com) Tongue

On a sidenote, wow you know alot and have alot of experience with the Church in the Middle East.

Health to you
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:42:48 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Tags: Pascha Jerusalem 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: