OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contraception  (Read 821 times) Average Rating: 0
Benedictus
lurker and sinner

Leo of Rome, pray for us.

« on: May 17, 2004, 10:17:41 AM »

One of the things keeping me from converting to Orthodoxy (I am a Roman Catholic) is contraception.  As far as I can tell, there isn't a consistent position on contraception in Orthodoxy.  For example, on the OCA website, I read that it is frowned upon, but not necessarily forbidden.

However, on the GOA website, they have this (full article):
Because of the lack of a full understanding of the implications of the biology of reproduction, earlier writers tended to identify abortion with contraception. However, of late a new view has taken hold among Orthodox writers and thinkers on this topic, which permits the use of certain contraceptive practices within marriage for the purpose of spacing children, enhancing the expression of marital love, and protecting health.

I find the idea of contraception completely unacceptable.  It is condemned by the Holy Scriptures and the Fathers.  I see that the The Stephanos Project has a quite bit of information on contraception from an Orthodox perspective and seems to take a position similar to my own.

I would appreciate whatever help you can offer me in understanding the Orthodox position on contraception.

Jason

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 10:34:55 AM »

Hello!

We have a thread on this that is several pages long. Please find it and continue posting in it Smiley

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: