OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and respect for a dead human corpse.  (Read 695 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »

(please forgive this offly grim question I put before you!)

Hello, All. 

today I was watching a documentary about how in the UK they have to exume graves that are hundreds of years old to make room for new ones.  they put the very old remains into little plastic bags, and haul the caskets (what's left of them) to be burned.  they then bury the remains in mass graves, outting cerial numbers on the baggies to identify the name and anything they know about them. 

this freaked me out.  in the Orthodox Church, we venerate the body as a relic.  does the Church have some sort of ceremony for the exhumation of a body?  what the people in the documentary did seems so dis respectful. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »

There are some prayers for an exhumation, which I had to offer on one occasion (a parishioner had been buried in the wrong grave and she had to be moved to the correct one).

However, I don't remember what the rite was.

Just out of curiosity...

Orthodoxy and respect for a dead human corpse.

How many live human corpses have you come across?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:45:41 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »

There are some prayers for an exhumation, which I had to offer on one occasion (a parishioner had been buried in the wrong grave and she had to be moved to the correct one).

However, I don't remember what the rite was.

Just of of curiosity...

Orthodoxy and respect for a dead human corpse.

How many live human corpses have you come across?
less than can be counted on two hands  Cheesy Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:44 AM »

This reminds me of something pretty similar in my country.
In a part of the Tivoli in Copenhagen they have made an "educational" facility named bodies. Here families can come and see the corpses of some chinese people who have dedicated their bodies to "science". The have been preserved so that they do not rotten.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »

There is absolutely no proof that the people that are on display actually volunteered to be in the Bodies exhibit. There is a good possibility that they are all executed prisoners.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »

To Quinault:
I am not sure I understand. If you are suggesting that the bodies are of executed prisoners I can tell you that it is very unlikely. But we can agree that it is disgusting to exhibit corpses for entertainment.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Trevorthodox

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

I've never heard of this practice in my country, the UK. Was it a church or a state graveyard that did this?

I believe that in Spain and other hispanic countries, bodies are not buried underground, but stacked in niches like an apartment block of coffins. Grave space is rented for a fee, and if the fee is not paid the body is thrown into an ossuary.

If you think this is peculiar check out the Sedlec Ossuary in the Czech Republic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary
maryofegypt

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

Well...I know that in the large monasteries in the old countries, they often exhume the monks' bodies and put all the bones in a separate chamber (ossuary).  There simply isn't enough land to keep all those bodies buried separately for centuries. I think they inscribe the names on the skulls.  In fact, there was an article in The Orthodox Word a couple of years ago about miraculous relics that were found when they were moving all the bones from one ossuary to another in Greece.  They discovered nine skulls that were streaming myrrh.

That being said, what you described (baggies) sounds a bit more offensive and grim, to me anyway. 
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »

Well...I know that in the large monasteries in the old countries, they often exhume the monks' bodies and put all the bones in a separate chamber (ossuary).  There simply isn't enough land to keep all those bodies buried separately for centuries. I think they inscribe the names on the skulls.  In fact, there was an article in The Orthodox Word a couple of years ago about miraculous relics that were found when they were moving all the bones from one ossuary to another in Greece.  They discovered nine skulls that were streaming myrrh.

That being said, what you described (baggies) sounds a bit more offensive and grim, to me anyway. 

This. If you've seen the new film, The Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer (and I do recommend it!) Fr. John McGucken and his film crew at one point visit a monastery, I think in Romania, that has this issue. When a monk dies, they exhume  the oldest and place it in an ossuary, open, with the other exhumed monks. It's literally just a pile of bones.

Some of them are myrrh-streaming. Those are kept in a separate room in their own jars to collect the myrrh. Over time, the myrrh turns the skull a rich brown and eventually black.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: