OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 06:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Orthodox believe about the RCC  (Read 1792 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: March 23, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »

I was going to post this on the thread "Orthodox-Catholic Obstacles to Reunion? (A Poll)", but then I decided it was a little too far off the topic of that thread, so here it is instead ...

It generally goes without saying that the Roman Catholic Church believes that (1) everything she teaches is true and (2) that she will never "unteach" those teachings.

Of course, Orthodox disagree with (1), but what's strange is that many Orthodox actually agree with (2). That is to say, they believe that Rome is infallibly wrong -- that she is in error and can never come back to the truth. That's a little disturbing, I think.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:45 PM »

I was going to post this on the thread "Orthodox-Catholic Obstacles to Reunion? (A Poll)", but then I decided it was a little too far off the topic of that thread, so here it is instead ...

It generally goes without saying that the Roman Catholic Church believes that (1) everything she teaches is true and (2) that she will never "unteach" those teachings.

Of course, Orthodox disagree with (1), but what's strange is that many Orthodox actually agree with (2). That is to say, they believe that Rome is infallibly wrong -- that she is in error and can never come back to the truth. That's a little disturbing, I think.

The Vatican is wrong and if they think they are infallible (whatever that means, since that word gets stretched), then why on earth would an EO not come to that conclusion.

Put your post into syllogistic form with some Latin thrown in and it will make sense to you.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »

Why is it disturbing? The entire Eastern Orthodox Communion is not just going to declare Rome to be orthodox (at least I do not think so). Conversions will happen as they do now, and that is that individual Christians will cross the Tiber and join the Catholic Church but not entire Christian communions.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »

I am of the opinion that Rome or at least large portions of the hierarchy could have integrity and be willing to admit that some teachings are not Orthodox and thus heretical. Look at what happened at Vatican I when many bishops refused to sign off on Papal Infallibility. Rome did apologize for the sacking of Constantinople and tried to make good on it. I do respect them for that much.

I have also heard many RCs say that they would immediately become Orthodox if Rome ever dogmatized more Marian doctrines (that are borderline or over the top blasphemy). I converted before that because I saw the path that Rome was on. Perhaps, more clergy and laity will wake up to this fact. I pray to St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre everyday for that. But this outbreak of more zany doctrines and visions is a sign of a greater disease, I'm afraid. Sad

I think many Orthodox would believe the 2nd option you have because they see Rome as incredibly prideful and unwilling to repent. Unam Sanctam, Pastor Aeternus, Lumen Gentium, Cum Data Fuerit, etc. I don't know of any Orthodox online or in real life that would not want Rome to repent of its heresies and return to the fullness of Christ's Church, but Rome as a whole will probably not see those heresies as heresies, but "orthodox developed doctrines." I hope that helps.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »

I won't go into specifics quite yet, but isn't that true for most faiths and denominations? That they believe that theirs is the true one? It's always uncomfortable to look at that from another standpoint.

I do believe that Rome is wrong on certain issues.

However, I also believe that Roman Catholics are truly Christians (well, generally -- you can't say that for everybody in ANY denomination) and that God will look at all of our hearts on Judgment Day and make His determination. Maybe certain doctrines won't matter at the end of the day. But do I think that the RCC is in error about certain things? Certainly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:11:38 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »

It's not so much that Rome can never come back, all things are indeed possible, but given Rome's stance on (1) it makes (2) nigh impossible to repeal.  If a man takes the wrong turn and keeps insisting that he has an impeccable sense of direction despite all evidence to the contrary and hasn't stopped for directions in three days how much longer until he drives straight into the ocean?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:16:36 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »

It's complete nonsense.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:58 AM »

Quote from: orthonorm link=topic=34664.msg547231#msg547231
The Vatican is wrong and if they think they are infallible (whatever that means, since that word gets stretched), then why on earth would an EO not come to that conclusion.

Uh....

Are you suggesting that you agree that Rome is "infallibly wrong"?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:24:08 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »

Why is it disturbing? The entire Eastern Orthodox Communion is not just going to declare Rome to be orthodox (at least I do not think so).

That is contingent on whether Rome changes its doctrine from being heterodox.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:34 AM »

I won't go into specifics quite yet, but isn't that true for most faiths and denominations?

That they can never come back to the truth?  Huh

However, I also believe that Roman Catholics are truly Christians

How are you defining Christian?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:33:47 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »

What I think the OP is getting at, and I agree with, is that often, Orthodox assume completely that Rome will never, ever change Her ways, and just don't pay any mind to them. I think that whatever you think of their beliefs, and however firm they are in them, they represent a huge chunk of what was once the church, and giving up on them is counter-productive. Sure, does it seem unlikely that Rome will dump papal infallibility, sketchy devotions based on apparitions, Filioque, IC, etc.etc.? Yes. But we have to remember that we're talking about God, and what He is capable of.

I would also agree with characterizing them as Christians, as I would any denomination, though especially them, because at the very least, the RC church holds on to a lot of what is truly historical Christianity. Where they've gone off track is in adding superfluous nonsense, rather than the Protestants, who have wiped away tons of Orthodox dogma, and then added to that base.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »

Well, I've read what the Orthodox who have responded to your OP have posted and their answers are predictable for the most part if you hang around here long enough.

If you are looking for a definitive position of The Orthodox Church akin to definitive positions ofThe Roman Catholic Church you will be disappointed as the structure of Orthodoxy precludes such pronouncements as may come from the Magisterium or the Pope himself.

If you are into reading scholarly stuff, there are numerous links to joint documents and position papers posted by the former Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of America (SCOBA) which you may find of interest. http://www.scoba.us/resources/orthodox-catholic.html 

SCOBA is now in the process of becoming the Episcopal Assembly of American Bishops (topic for a whole 'nother post).  (I should note that many here, and across the Orthodox communities, will take issue with some, if not much, of what you will find in these papers, but such inherent to the nature of Orthodoxy. We love to argue amongst ourselves, but we do truly love each other (for the most part....) )

There are many post-schism developments within the Western tradition which would not be totally objectionable to Orthodox had they not been made dogma but had merely remained theologoumena or pious opinions. For an example of such from the Western perspective, St. Gregory Palamas' theology, known as Hesychasm, long derided by centuries of Roman theologians, is now seen by Catholics as a legitimate and helpful approach on the path to Theosis and Salvation. (Within Orthodoxy there are many examples of theologoumena such as the much debated Toll House teaching. Had the Immaculate Conception remained as such, it would not be the obstacle that it presents to many Orthodox.)

Many contemporary Orthodox and Roman Catholic faithful are totally unaware of the rich diversity that existed in ritual expression and theological perspectives or approaches which existed for centuries within the undivided Church prior to the finality of the Schism. Popular legends and myths, often based upon gross historical injustices perpetrated by one side or the other also present a real obstacle to renewing trust and brotherly cooperation.

As to me, I remain hopeful. I regard the Roman Catholic Church as our separated bothers possessing much of the Apostolic tradition and Faith but remaining apart from the wholeness of Orthodoxy. I pray for the day when man's vanity can be overcome and God's will be done.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »

I won't go into specifics quite yet, but isn't that true for most faiths and denominations?

I never said that they can never come back to the truth. But honestly, I think that it is unlikely that Rome will change in general, just with my experience as a member of the RCC, an altar server, and a student at several Catholic schools. They believe that they are right and the true way to approach the faith, just as I'm sure that the Orthodox do.

As JimCBrooklyn said, God is bigger than anything, so who knows? If Rome wants to renounce certain doctrines and reunite, I'm sure not going to question their sincerity! Glory be to God if we can unite and agree! That's one less division in the Church.

And by Christian, I refer to several basic principles: the Trinity at the very least (baptism, the Eucharist, using the Bible, etc.). We can play at semantics here, but I do believe that God will look at our hearts at the end of the day and I believe that many RCCs are truly Christian.

Maybe we might get to heaven and God will tell us that He couldn't believe that we spent our time on earth arguing about certain points. Maybe certain points will matter than others. What can I say? I don't know but I trust Him on this one.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »

I am of the opinion that Rome or at least large portions of the hierarchy could have integrity and be willing to admit that some teachings are not Orthodox and thus heretical.

That just doesn't make sense to me. We (Catholics, I mean) aren't about to say "We believe X, but at the same time we want to be honest and tell everyone that we consider X to be heretical." That wouldn't be honest at all.

It's like IsmiLiora said, pretty much all churches and denominations believe themselves to be in the right. Why would anyone be surprised that Catholics believe their own teachings to be correct? If we didn't consider those teachings to be correct, why would we believe them?

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I don't how else to respond to your statement.)

I think many Orthodox would believe the 2nd option you have because they see Rome as incredibly prideful and unwilling to repent. Unam Sanctam, Pastor Aeternus, Lumen Gentium, Cum Data Fuerit, etc. I don't know of any Orthodox online or in real life that would not want Rome to repent of its heresies and return to the fullness of Christ's Church, but Rome as a whole will probably not see those heresies as heresies, but "orthodox developed doctrines." I hope that helps.

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes, that last paragraph does help. But the thing is that many Orthodox (perhaps not most, but many anyhow) don't just say "We shouldn't be naive or overly optimistic about Rome changing anytime soon." If that was all they said, I wouldn't object, because that's just being realistic.

What I object to is when Orthodox cite some statement or other from Rome that says "We declare X to be true, and we further declare that it is an unchangeable teaching of the Catholic Church", and say "See, that proves that the heresy of X will always to held by Rome!"

To that I say, if you don't accept Rome's statement that X is true, why do you automatically accept Rome's statement that X is an unchangeable teaching of the RCC?

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »

I never said that they can never come back to the truth. But honestly, I think that it is unlikely that Rome will change in general, just with my experience as a member of the RCC, an altar server, and a student at several Catholic schools. They believe that they are right and the true way to approach the faith, just as I'm sure that the Orthodox do.

As JimCBrooklyn said, God is bigger than anything, so who knows? If Rome wants to renounce certain doctrines and reunite, I'm sure not going to question their sincerity! Glory be to God if we can unite and agree! That's one less division in the Church.

And by Christian, I refer to several basic principles: the Trinity at the very least (baptism, the Eucharist, using the Bible, etc.). We can play at semantics here, but I do believe that God will look at our hearts at the end of the day and I believe that many RCCs are truly Christian.

Maybe we might get to heaven and God will tell us that He couldn't believe that we spent our time on earth arguing about certain points. Maybe certain points will matter than others. What can I say? I don't know but I trust Him on this one.
I agree we as laity know that there are issues that prevent sharing the Eucharist, we obey our hierarchs as RC do theirs, appreciate those who love the Lord and their neighbor and pray the Holy Spirit is working in us all.

Antiochian OC N.A.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

Quote from: orthonorm link=topic=34664.msg547231#msg547231

Uh....

Are you suggesting that you agree that Rome is "infallibly wrong"?

Please parse that phrase.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »

I can't claim to speak for deusveritasest, but speaking for myself I would very much like to try and answer your question

if they think they are infallible ... then why on earth would an EO not come to that conclusion.

except that I'm not clear on what it is that you're asking. (Note: I'm trying to take your words out-of-context; I just quoted that part of your post that was the question.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:12:19 AM by Peter J » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »

I can't claim to speak for deusveritasest, but speaking for myself I would very much like to try and answer your question

if they think they are infallible ... then why on earth would an EO not come to that conclusion.

except that I'm not clear on what it is that you're asking. (Note: I'm trying to take your words out-of-context; I just quoted that part of your post that was the question.)

I already gave you advice on how to answer your question. This ain't to deusveritasest's comments.

If the Vatican is in heresy, which it is (ignoring the non-issues above the superfluous stuff). And those heresies have been declared "infallible", then how else are EOs supposed to look at the Vatican.

You all dug a ditch a long time ago and have kept digging.

Then again it depends on what "infallible" means. Maybe there is hope, if there is any organization that can bend that word to render previously stated infallible statements null, it is the Vatican. You all make angels dance on heads of needles after all.

But what "infallibly wrong" means, the questions stands. I doubt most RCs could even begin to give a decent working definition of "infallible". The folks on this board are obviously not your typical RCs, EOs, OOs, Baptists, etc.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

Why is it disturbing? The entire Eastern Orthodox Communion is not just going to declare Rome to be orthodox (at least I do not think so). Conversions will happen as they do now, and that is that individual Christians will cross the Tiber and join the Catholic Church but not entire Christian communions.

Ummmm  the Orthodox Churches I have belonged to are filled with former Roman Catholics. We even have a former Catholic Priest.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »

Wrong body of water metaphor and not nearly vivid and vituperative enough for internets. The Rubicon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:28:17 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »

I already gave you advice on how to answer your question. This ain't to deusveritasest's comments.

If the Vatican is in heresy, which it is (ignoring the non-issues above the superfluous stuff). And those heresies have been declared "infallible", then how else are EOs supposed to look at the Vatican.

Thanks for the clarification (and the advice, of course). When I read your earlier post I thought you were asking a question.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:56:22 AM by Peter J » Logged

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »

Ummmm  the Orthodox Churches I have belonged to are filled with former Roman Catholics. We even have a former Catholic Priest.
Your point? The point I was making is that you will not see an entire Christian communion cease to exist and merge in with another Communion. Even though there may be RCs who become EO, you will never see the entire Roman Catholic Church become Eastern Orthodox.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »

Your point? The point I was making is that you will not see an entire Christian communion cease to exist and merge in with another Communion. Even though there may be RCs who become EO, you will never see the entire Roman Catholic Church become Eastern Orthodox.

And yet we all continue to pray the words of our Lord, "Ut omnes unum sint." Just empty words or something more? I wonder when I read the postings from both sides.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »

And yet we all continue to pray the words of our Lord, "Ut omnes unum sint." Just empty words or something more? I wonder when I read the postings from both sides.
I think you will see us moving closer to unity as more people come into full communion with the True Church (of course we disagree on what one that is), but I do not think we will ever get to a point where there is only one Christian Church again. There may be many who leave their old sect/denomination and join the True Church, but I do not think we will ever see a day when all schismatic Churches and/or denominations cease to exist. Human pride is a funny thing.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »

Two comments ...

First, I don't know what Marc1152 is objecting to in your earlier post.

Second, I concur with podkarpatska's criticism of the cynical attitude of your latter post.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

I think you will see us moving closer to unity as more people come into full communion with the True Church (of course we disagree on what one that is), but I do not think we will ever get to a point where there is only one Christian Church again. There may be many who leave their old sect/denomination and join the True Church, but I do not think we will ever see a day when all schismatic Churches and/or denominations cease to exist. Human pride is a funny thing.

You can't really win an argument by changing the question. podkarpatska was objecting to your statement that "you will not see an entire Christian communion cease to exist and merge in with another Communion". Now you are instead talking about the question of all churches/denominations merging together.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »

You can't really win an argument by changing the question. podkarpatska was objecting to your statement that "you will not see an entire Christian communion cease to exist and merge in with another Communion". Now you are instead talking about the question of all churches/denominations merging together.
Either way. I don't see either happening.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »

Either way. I don't see either happening.

Well, I don't share your view, but I'm glad at least that we understand what each other is saying.

P.S. Actually, it's rather fitting that you posted that particular view on this particular thread.

What I mean is: you presumably believe that the Orthodox are in error, right? So combined with what you've said here, that implies that the Orthodox are wrong and will always be wrong -- exactly the reverse of the view many Orthodox have of the RCC.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:04:19 PM by Peter J » Logged

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »

Well, I don't share your view, but I'm glad at least that we understand what each other is saying.

P.S. Actually, it's rather fitting that you posted that particular view on this particular thread.

What I mean is: you presumably believe that the Orthodox are in error, right? So combined with what you've said here, that implies that the Orthodox are wrong and will always be wrong -- exactly the reverse of the view many Orthodox have of the RCC.
I used to be optimistic before I joined this forum. Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »

The Internet: Crushing hope for over a century!

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »

The Internet: Crushing hope for over a century!
Oh I have hope, but it is not misguided. I do not put hope in things of this world.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »

I realize I'm very late in commenting on that post, but I just wanted to say that it had me chuckling in agreement.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »

That is because most Romanists are quite delusional regarding the nature of their relationship with the Eastern Christian churches and are regularly fed lies by their ecumenist leaders concerning it; this is much more the contributing factor than individuals on OCnet being fanatical.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

That is because most Romanists are quite delusional regarding the nature of their relationship with the Eastern Christian churches and are regularly fed lies by their ecumenist leaders concerning it; this is much more the contributing factor than individuals on OCnet being fanatical.

Guess I am taking up the cross lately of defending the RCs . . . as folks.

Most "Romanists" I know, if you are referring to RCs in general, don't have any idea of what Orthodoxy is except maybe a Church that is like the RCC but is Greek and serves gyros at their festivals where they raffle off cars.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »

Most "Romanists" I know, if you are referring to RCs in general, don't have any idea of what Orthodoxy is except maybe a Church that is like the RCC but is Greek and serves gyros at their festivals where they raffle off cars.
But that's what my church is like.

Tongue

(I agree though. I was never taught what the Orthodox Church was, and I attended Catholic schools all the way up until college.)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:12:48 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

You are right. I wasn't taking into account the massive volume of people of that level of ignorance. I mostly had in mind people who have some basic conception of the nature of the Orthodox Church.

I think proportionally I probably encounter a greater number of the type of person I described than the overall reality.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:19:49 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »

Reminds me of my RC Grandmother, who, when I told her that I was driving each week to an Orthodox Church 45 minutes away, looked at me like I was crazy and said "Why? There's one of those churches five minutes away!" (referring to a Greek Catholic parish)  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:22:04 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »

You are right. I wasn't taking into account the massive volume of people of that level of ignorance. I mostly had in mind people who have some basic conception of the nature of the Orthodox Church.

I think proportionally I probably encounter a greater number of the type of person I described than the overall reality.

Yeah, I think it is easy for us nerds to forget most folks are just doing the best they can with what they have in front of them. Folks on any internet board are a poor cross-section of the topic the board is centered around as is their possible RL circle.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:27:26 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: