OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:37:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiphona Adhan... (Islamic call to prayer)  (Read 676 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 23, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

I'm currently in Constantinople and today we were near the Grand Bazaar, and the midday call to prayer began and it was kind of amazing because the muezzins in the two mosques Atik Ali Paşa Camii and Nuruosmaniye Camii were doing the chants antiphonally.

Is antiphonal singing from Judaism, or is it possible that Islam received this from Orthodoxy?

Also, it's interesting because most mosques in Istanbul were designed according to the Hagia Sophia.

It'd be cool if our churches that are closer together could do antiphonal bells or something.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »

I'm currently in Constantinople and today we were near the Grand Bazaar, and the midday call to prayer began and it was kind of amazing because the muezzins in the two mosques Atik Ali Paşa Camii and Nuruosmaniye Camii were doing the chants antiphonally.

Is antiphonal singing from Judaism, or is it possible that Islam received this from Orthodoxy?

Also, it's interesting because most mosques in Istanbul were designed according to the Hagia Sophia.

It'd be cool if our churches that are closer together could do antiphonal bells or something.
They couldn't do the adhan antiophonally, as they have to do the same set phrases in the same order.  They may be timing: once one starts in Cairo you can here the thousand minerets starting up across the city.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

But it sounds like Byzantine plagal 2nd tone

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Adhans always remind me of my trip to Israel couple of years ago. There are no minarets in Finland so I hadn't heard an Adhan before. It was kind of an interesting experience to heard it first time in my life when I was a little lost in the Muslim quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Provided the fact that all Arabs seemed to be unable to speak English and I couldn't read my map properly. Cheesy
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:40:40 AM »

They couldn't do the adhan antiophonally, as they have to do the same set phrases in the same order.  They may be timing: once one starts in Cairo you can here the thousand minerets starting up across the city.

Same here in Istanbul, whenever the muezzin closest to you goes silent between sentences, you can hear the hundreds of others around the city.

Interestingly in Greece, it's wonderful to hear bells across the cities in the Orthodox Churches.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:28:34 AM »

Im not Suggesting,But

Dad In Rashka Serbia
Use to throw Stones at the fellow calling the serbian muslims to prayer ,
there was a Jamija close by where he lived........... Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:30:22 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:27:19 AM »

Im not Suggesting,But

Dad In Rashka Serbia
Use to throw Stones at the fellow calling the serbian muslims to prayer ,
there was a Jamija close by where he lived........... Grin

I'm not making assumptions, But

That sounds like what a terrorist would do, not an Orthodox Christian

close from where Copts in Egypt live........... Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:30:01 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: