OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ??? about Readers services or services for those unable to attend DL  (Read 573 times) Average Rating: 0
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« on: March 22, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »

As I think about my possible conversion to Orthodoxy I am faced with the difficulty of my closest OC is 3 hours away which makes it very difficult to attend on any regular basis.  So with that in mind I'm also not the type of person that would necessarily wait around for something to happen and I have given a lot thought to the option of, God willing taking a lead in finding other Orthodox in are area (which is very, very few) and doing what we can to help establish an Orthodox presence of some sort.  Of course, I have to become Orthodox first Grin 

I know my first step is to become Orthodox, and the next step is to consult my Orthodox Priest, but after this what could a Orthodox do to help facilitate an Orthodox presence in the area?

Thanks,

Caleb
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »

One option is to contact the diocesan chancery and request that they consider the area for a new mission station.  I'm not entirely sure what methodology goes into determining where to plant a new mission, but I imagine the presence of Orthodox Christians who are not served by a parish or mission currently is probably a factor.  However, if no one knows that there's the seed of a new mission there waiting to be nurtured, no one will take care of it.  If the diocese does establish a mission station there, you'd probably have occasional services with a priest (perhaps a once-monthly Divine Liturgy) with reader's services in between.  After the mission station has grown into a small community, it will be more likely to have a priest assigned and turned into a full-fledged mission.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »

Thanks
leap of faith

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

NMHS, I'd just like to encourage you in your journey.  I will have a 3 hr. round trip and harsh, long winter months to contend with. As it stands, I'll also be leaving my husband on his only day off during the week in order to participate in Divine Liturgy.  I have been reading, studying and praying for several years now and had my first meeting with the priest last week.  He was so understanding and encouraging!  I felt as if a large burden had been lifted.  I'm still not certain of how it will all work out...but I trust absolutely that it will.  (Personally, I'm praying for the conversion of my entire former Methodist congregation!  Hey...set the goal high, right?  Wink )
NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »

NMHS, I'd just like to encourage you in your journey.  I will have a 3 hr. round trip and harsh, long winter months to contend with. As it stands, I'll also be leaving my husband on his only day off during the week in order to participate in Divine Liturgy.  I have been reading, studying and praying for several years now and had my first meeting with the priest last week.  He was so understanding and encouraging!  I felt as if a large burden had been lifted.  I'm still not certain of how it will all work out...but I trust absolutely that it will.  (Personally, I'm praying for the conversion of my entire former Methodist congregation!  Hey...set the goal high, right?  Wink )

Thanks, and the same to you as well.   Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: