OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:27:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Primary Sources on Pre-Schism Western Saints  (Read 1557 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: March 21, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if people here could help me find more books that contains lives of the pre-schism Western saints.  I'm looking mostly for primary sources.

So far, I've read:

Bede's Ecclesiastical History
The Age of Bede (Penguin)
St. Gregory of Tour's History of the Franks
St. Adamnan's Biography of St. Columba
The Confession of St. Patrick

Any other good sources?

Thanks!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if people here could help me find more books that contains lives of the pre-schism Western saints.  I'm looking mostly for primary sources.

So far, I've read:

Any other good sources?

Thanks!

I know this may not be what you are looking for but:  http://orthodoxwiki.org/Category:Pre-Schism_Western_Saints

At least this way you have a list, and then you can start looking for primary sources. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »

So far, I've read:

Any other good sources?

Thanks!

Penguin's "Early Christian Lives" has St. Martin of Tours and St. Jerome, I think, among others. There are also the books by Vladimir Moss which, I think, are probably English translations  of Latin lives. Also there is Butler's Lives, which isn't primary, but some primary sources can be gleaned. The volumes by Sabine Baring-Gould also have many old Western saints' lives.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »

The Life of St. Benedict by Pope St. Gregory is a good one.

Aelfric and the Cult of Saints in Late Anglo-Saxon England by Mechtild Gretsch might be of interest to you.

And one of my favorite books is Christ the Golden-Blossom: A Treasury of Anglo-Saxon Prayer which contains a large Sanctorale section with stories about, and prayers to, various saints.

Someone already mentioned the series by Vladimir Moss, which is really great and highly recommended.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »

See also his Vitae Patrum.

If I remember correctly Adam of Bremen's History of the Archbishops of Hamburg-Bremen contains some info about Orthodox Saints of Scandinavia.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if people here could help me find more books that contains lives of the pre-schism Western saints.  I'm looking mostly for primary sources.

So far, I've read:

Gregory of Tours also wrote the Vita Patrum and many other hagiographies. Check out the Liverpool University Press Translated Texts for Historians. There are at least three volumes from Gregory: Life of the Fathers, Glory of the Confessors, and Glory of the Martyrs.

You might also like to read the Liber Pontificalis, translated in part by the same series.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:13:29 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:51 PM »

There's also the Lives of the Popes, the Liber Potificalis, which contains many holy Orthodox popes' lives.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »

Liverpool University also publishes a book called "The Lives of the Visigothic Fathers."

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »

Liverpool University also publishes a book called "The Lives of the Visigothic Fathers."

The series features a number of Ostrogothic, Visogothic, and Galician sources from late antiquity, secular and sacred. Also, some good stuff from further East.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »

Not sure if this helps but have a look here:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/icons/Western.html
http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/icons/Western2.html

It is primarily dedicated to showing icons of pre-schism Western saints, but when you click on each saint listed, there is a bit of a description of their life, some more so than others. It probably doesn't help you but there are even some post-schism saints that lives in Western countries.

Mattheos   

NULL
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »

So far, I've read:

Any other good sources?

Thanks!

I know this may not be what you are looking for but:  http://orthodoxwiki.org/Category:Pre-Schism_Western_Saints

At least this way you have a list, and then you can start looking for primary sources. 

Thanks for the link.  This certainly is helpful as a starting point. 
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »

So far, I've read:

Any other good sources?

Thanks!

Penguin's "Early Christian Lives" has St. Martin of Tours and St. Jerome, I think, among others. There are also the books by Vladimir Moss which, I think, are probably English translations  of Latin lives. Also there is Butler's Lives, which isn't primary, but some primary sources can be gleaned. The volumes by Sabine Baring-Gould also have many old Western saints' lives.

I forgot to add Early Christian Lives.  I do have that.  For some reason I thought of the "Desert Fathers" and forgot the book also includes St. Martin of Tours and St. Benedict of Nursia.  I don't think the book has a life of St. Jerome, but I believe he is author of one of the lives in (St. Paul of Thebes?) 

I'll have to check out Vladimir Moss' works, and also Sabine Baring-Gould.  I have an abridged Butler's Lives from my Catholic days. 
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if people here could help me find more books that contains lives of the pre-schism Western saints.  I'm looking mostly for primary sources.

So far, I've read:

Gregory of Tours also wrote the Vita Patrum and many other hagiographies. Check out the Liverpool University Press Translated Texts for Historians. There are at least three volumes from Gregory: Life of the Fathers, Glory of the Confessors, and Glory of the Martyrs.

You might also like to read the Liber Pontificalis, translated in part by the same series.

Yes, I'm aware of the Vita Patrum, but I didn't realize it was available in print in English.  Thanks for the source.

I hadn't heard of Liber Pontificalis.  I added it to my wish list.   
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »

The series features a number of Ostrogothic, Visogothic, and Galician sources from late antiquity, secular and sacred. Also, some good stuff from further East.

This is too fascinating to pass up.  Never heard of the Visigothic Fathers.  I ordered a used copy today (very reasonably priced)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »

This thread has caused me to run to Amazon with my credit card twice so far, which is, in a way, a good and a bad thing. My bookshelves are full and my wallet is empty, lol.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: