OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:16:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR and Russian Orthodox Church  (Read 10244 times) Average Rating: 0
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« on: May 16, 2004, 02:48:33 PM »

Why are these 2 churches enemies? How did ROCOR came into existence? I heard that they came into existence because of the persecution of the church in russia and because the clergy was full of KGB agents and the church became a tool of the state.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 02:52:12 PM »

I think that recent new material published on this forum shows that they are not enemies at all. Perhaps representatives of both communities sometimes make it look like that but from what I have heard from my ROCOR friends there is no hatred on their part at all.

Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 03:12:15 PM »

I think that recent new material published on this forum shows that they are not enemies at all. Perhaps representatives of both communities sometimes make it look like that but from what I have heard from my ROCOR friends there is no hatred on their part at all.

Peter

Is what I wrote the truth on why ROCOR was created?
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 03:16:57 PM »

Not really. I am sure that someone from ROCOR can post a pointer to a good description of the historic origins of ROCOR.

It is true that the events of the Revolution in Russia were the cause but I also think you should beware of too partisan an account against ROCOR. Look for a more neutral one.

Google ROCOR and history and see what comes up.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 03:17:35 PM »

The ROCOR and the OCA are BOTH spiritual children of the Moscow Patriarchate.  The Bolshevik Revolution and resulting Communist persecution of the Orthodox Church in Russia after 1917 fragmented Russian Orthodoxy and that still affects us to this day.  What is today the OCA was in 1917 the North American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.  After the Communist Revolution in Russia, Patriarch Tikhon (who had been Bishop of the North American diocese and had a very close connection with the Orthodox in America) told the North American Diocese to "believe NOTHING from Moscow until the Church in Russia is free."  Then the Communists murdered Patriarch Tikhon and installed a puppet bishop in his place who demanded that the Orthodox in America take an oath of allegience to the atheistic Soviet gov't!  The North American diocese snorted at such a notion, and at the Cleveland Sobor declared itself as "temporarily self-governing" until the matter could be settled.
     Our dear ROCOR brethren have a different origin.  They were mostly Russians from Russia who fled to the West when the Communists began killing off all the Orthodox bishops and priests. They included Metropolitan Anthony Krapovitsky, the Bishop of Kiev.  After fleeing to Constantinople, the ROCOR people eventually found refuge in Serbia, where they re-constituted themselves with a Holy Synod of Bishops at Karlovsky. From there, ROCOR moved to Germany for a while, and then finally to Jordanville, New York, where Holy Trinity Monastery and Seminary is located.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »

Hi

Why are ROCOR and the OCA not in close communion then?

Thanks

Peter

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 03:26:46 PM »

Should be noted too that Metropolitan Anthony Khrapovitsky, before his emmigration, was amongst the top 3 bishops being considered for Patriarch of Russia, alongside Tikhon.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 03:29:16 PM »

Hi

Why are ROCOR and the OCA not in close communion then?

Thanks

Peter

Because the OCA formerly submitted themselves to the ROCOR Synod, but broke away in the 1950s. At this point ROCOR considered them to have made an error, and possibly to have gone into schism. In 1970, after having no real canonical basis for their position of "going solo", they gained autocephaly from the Moscow Patriarchate. ROCOR, considering the Russian Church in Russia to be enslaved, did not accept this act as being canonical.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »

The ROCOR and the OCA are BOTH spiritual children of the Moscow Patriarchate.  The Bolshevik Revolution and resulting Communist persecution of the Orthodox Church in Russia after 1917 fragmented Russian Orthodoxy and that still affects us to this day.  What is today the OCA was in 1917 the North American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.  After the Communist Revolution in Russia, Patriarch Tikhon (who had been Bishop of the North American diocese and had a very close connection with the Orthodox in America) told the North American Diocese to "believe NOTHING from Moscow until the Church in Russia is free."  Then the Communists murdered Patriarch Tikhon and installed a puppet bishop in his place who demanded that the Orthodox in America take an oath of allegience to the atheistic Soviet gov't!  The North American diocese snorted at such a notion, and at the Cleveland Sobor declared itself as "temporarily self-governing" until the matter could be settled.
     Our dear ROCOR brethren have a different origin.  They were mostly Russians from Russia who fled to the West when the Communists began killing off all the Orthodox bishops and priests. They included Metropolitan Anthony Krapovitsky, the Bishop of Kiev.  After fleeing to Constantinople, the ROCOR people eventually found refuge in Serbia, where they re-constituted themselves with a Holy Synod of Bishops at Karlovsky. From there, ROCOR moved to Germany for a while, and then finally to Jordanville, New York, where Holy Trinity Monastery and Seminary is located.

I thought that OCA were Byzatine catholics that were approached by the russian orthodox church to convert to orthodoxy after the debacle over married priests in america controversy?
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 03:32:29 PM »

Because the OCA formerly submitted themselves to the ROCOR Synod, but broke away in the 1950s. At this point ROCOR considered them to have made an error, and possibly to have gone into schism. In 1970, after having no real canonical basis for their position of "going solo", they gained autocephaly from the Moscow Patriarchate. ROCOR, considering the Russian Church in Russia to be enslaved, did not accept this act as being canonical.

How do you know that the russian church is still not enslaved to the state? what about all those KGB opperatives that became priests/bishops and most likely still there?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »

I thought that OCA were Byzatine catholics that were approached by the russian orthodox church to convert to orthodoxy after the debacle over married priests in america controversy?

That's partly true. A good number of the OCA's present cradle members are descendents of Greek Catholics who converted by the example of St. Alexis Toth. This conversion was partly based on the fact that the Roman Church in America did not, for the most part, support the Eastern Rite or married clergy. Call me an optimist, but I also like to think that the conversions were a result of finding the Truth of Orthodoxy.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 03:33:51 PM »

But was there any issue of heresy or merely a matter of administration?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 03:36:57 PM »

How do you know that the russian church is still not enslaved to the state? what about all those KGB opperatives that became priests/bishops and most likely still there?

The Soviet government has ceased to exist. The Russian Church is no longer in "close and active collaboration"(as older ROCOR documents say) with an atheistic government, because an atheistic government has ceased to exist. There is no godless regime which a bishop can submit to anymore. So whether or not they submitted(for whatever reason) in the past, is basically moot question at this point. The question that still has merit is: Does the Russian hierarchy today believe that submitting to atheistic authorities is ok? This question is presently being sorted out in Russia this very week.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 03:40:25 PM »

But was there any issue of heresy or merely a matter of administration?

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I can't find any kind of ROCOR statement which says the OCA fell into heresy, per se. However, I can find statements which say the autocephaly is not recognized by ROCOR, due to canonical infractions. Keep in mind, at the same time ROCOR was declaring the autocephaly uncanonical, the Ecumenical Patriarch and virtually ever other autocephalous Church was saying something similar. The autocephaly is to this day not formally recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarch, and the Serbian Patriarchate, I believe. However, these synods who do not recognize the autocephaly do not believe the OCA is heretical. As far as I understand it, the ROCOR holds a similar opinion.

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 03:43:37 PM »

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I can't find any kind of ROCOR statement which says the OCA fell into heresy, per se. However, I can find statements which say the autocephaly is not recognized by ROCOR, due to canonical infractions. Keep in mind, at the same time ROCOR was declaring the autocephaly uncanonical, the Ecumenical Patriarch and virtually ever other autocephalous Church was saying something similar. The autocephaly is to this day not formally recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarch, and the Serbian Patriarchate, I believe. However, these synods who do not recognize the autocephaly do not believe the OCA is heretical. As far as I understand it, the ROCOR holds a similar opinion.

Being recognize or not as an independent church or declaring their independence doesn't negate their status as orthodox? or does it?

This is so confusing.  It is so chaotic.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 03:44:37 PM by romanbyzantium » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »

But is such an administrative controversy sufficient to support what seems to me as an ignorant but interested observer to be excommunication? Should not excommunication have some doctrinal basis? This is what I personally find rather shocking about the use of excommunication by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. Or am I just being naive?

Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 03:46:22 PM »

RB,

The situation of the Roman Catholic Church in China, where you have an 'official' church under the control of the Communist government and the 'underground' church which seeks to maintain the faith free of this control might offer you a useful historical parallel.

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 03:51:24 PM »

Because the OCA formerly submitted themselves to the ROCOR Synod, but broke away in the 1950s.

Does anyone know why the OCA broke away?
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 03:56:13 PM »

RB,

The situation of the Roman Catholic Church in China, where you have an 'official' church under the control of the Communist government and the 'underground' church which seeks to maintain the faith free of this control might offer you a useful historical parallel.

Brigid

Not really a good parallel, for the reason that the Roman Catholic Church in China, that submitted to the Government and ordained bishops without Rome's approval, was excomunicated and declared schismatic by Rome many years ago. In Orthodoxy you have no Pope to decide when the MP submitted to the godless Communist government and when it lost the faith, if it ever did. It is really left up to the opinion of the individual, thats why you have groups like ROAC out there.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 04:09:06 PM »

But is such an administrative controversy sufficient to support what seems to me as an ignorant but interested observer to be excommunication? Should not excommunication have some doctrinal basis? This is what I personally find rather shocking about the use of excommunication by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. Or am I just being naive?

It's not excommunication, but a break in relations due to a serious difference in outlook. ROCOR basically believed in the 1950's that the OCA had gone into schism from them. If that was their contention, then why would anyone expect normal relations to follow?

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 04:12:59 PM »

But do ROCOR priests and OCA priests concelebrate. If not then how is that not excommunication?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 04:16:12 PM »

Does anyone know why the OCA broke away?

From the OCA's webpage:
http://www.oca.org/pages/ocaadmin/documents/All-American-Council/historyindex.html#s7
The main task of the Sixth Sobor, held in New York on October 5-8, 1937, was to assess the initiatives undertaken by Metropolitan THEOPHILUS since the last council. In an effort toward jurisdictional unity, Bishop ADAM (Philipovsky) and his Carpatho-Russian Diocese had been accepted into the Metropolia. Moreover, Metropolitan THEOPHILUS had traveled to Serbia where, under the leadership of the Serbian Patriarch, an agreement was signed by the leading hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR) along with other exiled Russian hierarchs throughout the world forging a peaceful coexistence. Under this agreement, the American Church was to retain her administrative autonomy while maintaining close relations with the ROCOR Synod and being accountable to it only in matters of faith. The parallel jurisdictions of the Metropolia and ROCOR were thus eliminated and the four ROCOR hierarchs in North America along with their clergy and parishes were integrated into the Metropolia.

And then:

World War II prevented convocation of the Seventh Sobor until 1946. Various circumstances brought on by the war had greatly changed the Orthodox situation throughout the world. Therefore the Seventh Sobor, convened in Cleveland on November 26-29, 1946, determined that the "temporary arrangement" with the ROCOR agreed to in 1935 was no longer in effect. In 1943 and 1945, Patriarchs SERGIUS (Stragorodsky) and ALEKSY I (Simansky) had successively been elected in Moscow. The North American Metropolia had been invited to send a delegation to the Moscow Council of 1945. This was perceived as a sign that the hopes of the Detroit Council of 1924 could be fulfilled and full relations could be resumed with the Moscow Patriarchate. The Seventh Sobor therefore resolved to petition Patriarch ALEKSY I of Moscow to accept the North American Metropolia under his spiritual leadership while maintaining her full autonomous status. Subsequent negotiations between the Metropolia and the Patriarchate brought no consensus and the Metropolia continued her life as defined by the Fourth Sobor, estranged from the Church of Russia for another quarter of a century.

Doesn't seem to me like they give a reason. At least it seems the case in their short presentation of the all-american councils.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »

And the "split" from ROCOR's perspective, by Fr. Alexander Lebedeff.

Unfortunately, not all the 37 bishops that made up the ROCOR in 1920 remained loyal to its authority. Metropolitan Platon, who had been put in charge of the Russian Orthodox Churches in the US declared "independence" from the ROCOR in 1924 and his followers became self-governing from that time. This was the origin of what is now known as the OCA. Other parishes remained loyal to the ROCOR. In 1934, the Patriarch of Serbia called Metropolitan Theophilus (who had succeeded Metropolitan Platon) to a conference in Belgrade, and unity was restored with the ROCOR, with the American Orthodox parishes operating under a significant degree of autonomy as the American Metropolia.

The end of WWII brought more upheaval. Many in the US thought that Stalin was a "good guy"—an ally, "Uncle Joe," if you will. There was a lot of propaganda that the persecution of the Church in Stalin's Russia had ceased. At an All-American Council of the Metropolia in Cleveland in 1946, the majority of the delegates voted to recognize the Moscow Patriarch as their spiritual head and break with the ROCOR. The bishops loyal to the ROCOR walked out and a split again ensued. The Moscow Patriarchate wanted much more control of the American Church than the Church was willing to give, and so the American Metropolia went its own way, neither under Moscow, nor the ROCOR until 1970, when it negotiated and received "autocephaly" (official recognition of self-rule) from the Moscow Patriarchate.

For full article:
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/amer_jur.aspx

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 06:00:50 PM »

Bogo:
 Thanks for your concise and accurate description of these events.  You have made things much more understandable for me. Smiley  

Tikhon
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 06:26:52 PM »

[That's partly true. A good number of the OCA's present cradle members are descendents of Greek Catholics who converted by the example of St. Alexis Toth. This conversion was partly based on the fact that the Roman Church in America did not, for the most part, support the Eastern Rite or married clergy. Call me an optimist, but I also like to think that the conversions were a result of finding the Truth of Orthodoxy. ]

Think of it more as a return to what they were originally but whose ancestors were forced to abandon because of politics, pressure, cohesion, and being taken over by hostile forces.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 06:30:33 PM »

[The situation of the Roman Catholic Church in China, where you have an 'official' church under the control of the Communist government and the 'underground' church which seeks to maintain the faith free of this control might offer you a useful historical parallel.]

Not to mention the RCC in South America during the same time period or the RCC in Croatia during Natzi period.

Orthodoc

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »

[That's partly true. A good number of the OCA's present cradle members are descendents of Greek Catholics who converted by the example of St. Alexis Toth. This conversion was partly based on the fact that the Roman Church in America did not, for the most part, support the Eastern Rite or married clergy. Call me an optimist, but I also like to think that the conversions were a result of finding the Truth of Orthodoxy. ]

Think of it more as a return to what they were originally but whose ancestors were forced to abandon because of politics, pressure, cohesion, and being taken over by hostile forces.

Orthodoc

Stop making stories up. tell the true stories that russia was oppressing them. don't whitewash the issue. No one forces anyone.

Don't hijack the thread with your negativity. we were having an interesting conversation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 06:47:31 PM by romanbyzantium » Logged
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 07:07:57 PM »

Orthodoc, often you like to bring times when Orthodox Christians were persecuted and mistreated by the Catholic Church or Catholic governments. Now, there is a heck of a lot of truth to what you say, but my God it gets quite annoying when thats all you focuss on. Eastern rite and Roman Catholics and Non-Chalcedonians have also been mistreated and persecuted by the Orthodox Church, Orthodox governments, and Orthodox individuals, I think Bishop Ware does a good job of showing that in his book "The Orthodox Church".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 09:34:16 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 07:11:05 PM »

Orthodoc, often you like to bring times when Orthodox Christians were persecuted and mistreated by the Catholic Church or Catholic governments. Now, there is a heck of a lot of truth to what you say, but my God it gets quite annoying when thats all you focuss on. Eastern rite and Roman Catholics have also been mistreated by the Orthodox Church, Orthodox governments, and Orthodox individuals, I think Bishop Ware does a good job of showing that in his book "The Orthodox Church".

He keeps forgeting that. I have given him dates and incidents of orthodox persecution of catholics even decades before the sack of constantinople occurred, his favorite example.

The orthodox church started persecuting catholics first with the help of the Greek Byzantine Emperors. but he forgets this.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 08:09:23 PM »

Thank you for the explanation, Bogoliubsty.   Like you, I couldn't find a reason actually stated on the OCA site.  Looks like a matter of politics and circumstances.

It is my understanding that the OCA is in full communion with the other Orthodox jurisdictions, even though the EP does not recognize its autonomy (or autocephalous status?).  I suppose it may take a while, but surely it can be resolved.  If full communion is restored between Moscow and the ROCOR, I wonder what that will mean in terms of the EP's opinion.  I have read somewhere, a few months ago, that under canon law the American continents are supposed to be under the EP's jurisdiction.  Is that true?
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2004, 09:33:54 PM »

[The orthodox church started persecuting catholics first with the help of the Greek Byzantine Emperors. but he forgets this.]

I'll match persecutions with you anytime and we'll see who started it and when it started.

Orthodoc

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »

[The orthodox church started persecuting catholics first with the help of the Greek Byzantine Emperors. but he forgets this.]

I'll match persecutions with you anytime and we'll see who started it and when it started.

Orthodoc

Go right ahead. lets see how clean your church is.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 09:38:05 PM »

Orthodoc

Wow, how christian, having a contest and all of who persecuted who the most. My God what is wrong with you Orthodoc? No offense, by jezz, both sides have commited horrible attrocities, can't we leave it at that?

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 09:39:32 PM »

Wow, how christian, having a contest and all of who persecuted who the most. My God what is wrong with you Orthodoc? No offense, by jezz, both sides have commited horrible attrocities, can't we leave it at that?

No.. let him. I will show him his history.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 09:42:33 PM »

You two need some serious help!

Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 09:42:37 PM »

[Stop making stories up. tell the true stories that russia was oppressing them. don't whitewash the issue. No one forces anyone.

Don't hijack the thread with your negativity. we were having an interesting conversation.]

Stop commenting on historical facts you know nothing about as the above reply in your first sentence indicates.

When you read a historical novel, read the entire book from chapter one page one to end end before commenting.  Otherwise you won't appear to be so naive and uneducated  when you reply to subjects you know nothing about.

Orthodoc
(Whose grandparents were amongst the group being discussed)

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 09:50:24 PM »

Orthodoc,

Members of the Catholic Church have done horrible things, as have members of the Orthodox Church. Both have blood on their hands, can't we leave it at that?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 09:52:27 PM by Ben » Logged

Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2004, 10:03:54 PM »

Orthodoc,

[Members of the Catholic Church have done horrible things, as have members of the Orthodox Church. Both have blood on their hands, can't we leave it at that?]

I'm more than willing to leave it at that if and when this guy stops trolling.

Orthodoc

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »

[Stop making stories up. tell the true stories that russia was oppressing them. don't whitewash the issue. No one forces anyone.

Don't hijack the thread with your negativity. we were having an interesting conversation.]

Stop commenting on historical facts you know nothing about as the above reply in your first sentence indicates.

When you read a historical novel, read the entire book from chapter one page one to end end before commenting.  Otherwise you won't appear to be so naive and uneducated  when you reply to subjects you know nothing about.

Orthodoc
(Whose grandparents were amongst the group being discussed)

Keep whitewashing. I will serve to unmask you.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2004, 10:23:47 PM »

Orthodoc,

[Members of the Catholic Church have done horrible things, as have members of the Orthodox Church. Both have blood on their hands, can't we leave it at that?]

I'm more than willing to leave it at that if and when this guy stops trolling.

Orthodoc

You mean that I should stop telling the true, exposing your fiction and unearthing the facts you would like to keep buried.

see orthodoc you are the type of person that one needs to avoid. Thank God that you don't represent orthodoxy.

I could give you some history books so that you could educate yourself a bit..perhaps then you would not be so selective on dates and incidents in an attempt to whitewash someone historical past.

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2004, 10:25:17 PM »

Orthodoc,

Members of the Catholic Church have done horrible things, as have members of the Orthodox Church. Both have blood on their hands, can't we leave it at that?

Ben,

we all know this but orthodoc lives in another dimension where the orthodox church and her people have never done anything to anyone else. In his dimension they have always been peace loving people.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »

Um, will you two please take it to private message or something?  I'd like to get a simple question or two answered.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2004, 10:35:47 PM »

Um, will you two please take it to private message or something?  I'd like to get a simple question or two answered.  

I agree.

That is what we have been trying to do all along...then orthodoc came in with his usual MANTRA.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2004, 10:40:10 PM »

[I could give you some history books so that you could educate yourself a bit..perhaps then you would not be so selective on dates and incidents in an attempt to whitewash someone historical past.]

Now who is trying to white wash whom?

[You mean that I should stop telling the true, exposing your fiction and unearthing the facts you would like to keep buried.]

Until you start giving dates, times, and refrences it is all nothing more than fiction on your part.  You constantly make trollings staements with nothing to back it up.  Here's an example -

[the mass killing of croats by serbs and surrounding area populated by catholics]

How about backing up that staement with facts and references my trolling friend?  When did this happen?  If you read history you will find it was the exact opposite that happened.

[Keep whitewashing. I will serve to unmask you.]

HUH!  What's that supposed to be?  Some type of threat?

=================

[Posted by: countrymouse  Posted on: Today at 10:31:02 PM  
Um, will you two please take it to private message or something?  I'd like to get a simple question or two answered. ]

You are absolutely right countrymouse.  

romanbyzantium ...you want to continue this send me private emails like you did asking why i don't like you.  I will concede to others wishes and not repons publically regarding this thread.

Orthodoc  

=======

countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

Thanks, guys; I appreciate it.  Smiley
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2004, 11:32:20 PM »

(Forgive me for posting this twice.)

It is my understanding that the OCA is in full communion with the other Orthodox jurisdictions, even though the EP does not recognize its autonomy (or autocephalous status?).  I suppose it may take a while, but surely it can be resolved.  If full communion is restored between Moscow and the ROCOR, I wonder what that will mean in terms of the EP's opinion.  I have read somewhere, a few months ago, that under canon law the American continents are supposed to be under the EP's jurisdiction.  Is that true?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2004, 11:34:55 PM »

Thank you for the explanation, Bogoliubsty.   Like you, I couldn't find a reason actually stated on the OCA site.  Looks like a matter of politics and circumstances.

As far as I know, the canon you mention refers to lands inhabited by "heathens". The EP has attempted to use this canon to try and extend their governing rights to America, a "heathen" land. Seems silly to me, and many others.

countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2004, 11:38:15 PM »

That's interesting... makes it a bit less "cut and dry."
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2004, 12:12:31 AM »

[As far as I know, the canon you mention refers to lands inhabited by "heathens". The EP has attempted to use this canon to try and extend their governing rights to America, a "heathen" land. Seems silly to me, and many others.]

It is silly since it also referenences three specific provinces or areas outside the boundaries of Greece  -

Chalcedon  A.D. 451

Canon XXVIII:

The Bishop of New Rome shall the same honor and priveleges of Old Rome, on accout of the removal of the empire.  FOR THIS REASON THE (METROPOITANS) OF PONTUS, OF ASIA, AND OF THRACE, AS WELL AS ALL THE BARBARIAN BISHOPS SHALL BE ORDAINED BY THE BISHOP OF CONSTANTINOPLE.

In those days any non Greek speaking land was considered as barbarian by them.

Orthodoc

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2004, 12:18:09 AM »

Ah, barbarians....not heathens. Sorry about that.  Smiley

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2004, 03:29:01 PM »

My understand is that, typically, when an Orthodox presence first appears in a nation, that church is responsible jurisdictionally for the development of the mission church in the new country.  In this case, we would seem to go back over to Russia by default.

If ROCOR and MP reconcile (may God grant!), which group would retain "primacy," as it were, of the church in America -- the OCA or the ROCOR?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2004, 04:40:54 PM »

[If ROCOR and MP reconcile (may God grant!), which group would retain "primacy," as it were, of the church in America -- the OCA or the ROCOR?]

Depends on what you mean by primacy. Personnally I don't like narrowing it down to who has primacy over whom.  I see it as twin brothers finally ending a family feud and returning home to work together for the good of the family which they never gave up their love for.  Most probably the OCA will retain its 'autocephally' and  what is now ROCOR will become a 'Russian' self governing diocese within it as the Albanian, Bulgarian, and Romanian dioceses are.

Either that or, with the approval of the OCA (to help prevent further division), both the OCA & the MP will agree to modify the statutes of the 'Tomos of Autocephally'  to allowall the ROCOR parishes to have an individual choice on whether they want to be part of the OCA or temporarily under the MP.

With all the Russian immigrants coming here the MP is concerned about their welfare.  Prior to all this, he was in discussion with the OCA about setting up a separate Russian diocese for them.  From what I understand he even offered to supply the OCA with a Bishop & priests if necessary.

ROCOR could very well take over this much needed function.  That is IF WE ALL DECIDE TO PUT PAST DIFFERENCES ASIDE AND ACT LIKE THE BROTHERS AND SISTERS WE ARE!

And look at it all as providing  the much needed building blocks needed to further build a united church for Orthodox here in America!

Both the OCA and ROCOR each have strengths and weaknesses that could be offset if they become one again!  But, infortunately, I'm sure there are some on both sides that would rather shift through all the garbage rather than bury it for the sake of some fresh air!

Orthodoc

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

My understand is that, typically, when an Orthodox presence first appears in a nation, that church is responsible jurisdictionally for the development of the mission church in the new country.  In this case, we would seem to go back over to Russia by default.

If ROCOR and MP reconcile (may God grant!), which group would retain "primacy," as it were, of the church in America -- the OCA or the ROCOR?

Did you get my email?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2004, 01:53:13 AM »

More on the OCA/ROCOR split from the perspective of Fr. Michael Polskii of ROCOR, written in 1952. Fr. Michael compiled the lives of many New Russian Martyrs in the book The New Martyrs of Russia.

For full article:
http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/articles/mpolski.html

If one was in unity, but then fell away, then he has sinned against truth, and therefore, against love. But we must remain faithful to this law of God and of the Church. As it always is, at first, unity and love reigned among us in the diaspora—but then, the enemy came and sowed the seeds of weeds, of schism and enmity. Since the end of the civil war, in 1920, old Russian +¬migr+¬ dioceses and parishes and those of the new emigration, of exile communities, which quickly formed dioceses and parishes all over the world were separated by the “iron curtain” of bolshevism from the central Church administration in Russia and, with the agreement of the entire episcopacy abroad, united under the Supreme Authority of its Council and a single Church Administration Outside of Russia. This temporary united Church administration, until the reunification with the emancipated Russian Church, was an equally necessary and canonical administration for the entire Russian Orthodox Church Abroad as the very central Church authority was in Russia. This was established by the Ukase of the Moscow Patriarchate (No. 362, 1920) on the administration of other parts of the Russian Church in the event that they become separated from it, and confirmed by all the canons of the Church on the principle of unity and conciliarity of the Church authority. This unity existed for five years, until 1926, when the American diocese, now called the “Metropolia,” under the leadership of Metropolitan Platon, along with the Western European diocese, violated that unity, fell away from communion with the other archpastors and dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, all for the sake of self-determination and the arbitrariness of their leadership. Were there, could there have been Russian Orthodox people who desired to preserve our original and crucial unity in accordance with Church law and Christian conscience? There must have been. It couldn’t be that there were no Orthodox Christians in North America who knew the truth of the Church. The Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow” parish in San Francisco, and the parish of All Saints in New York were at the time the first witnesses and spokesmen for the truth in America.

An unwilling witness to this canonical and moral truth of our unity is the history of the Metropolia over these last 32 years. Metropolitan Platon, choosing the path of schism in 1926, himself participated in the organization of the Supreme Ecclesiastical Authority Abroad in 1920 and together with Metropolitan Anthony and the other hierarchs requested permission of the Constantinople Patriarchate to organize the same on the latter’s territory. Being sent to America in 1922, he was appointed by the Synod of Bishops Abroad to head the American diocese, and in leaving the Synod Abroad after that, in 1927, he declared the autocephaly of the American church, which was recognized by no one. After his death, in 1935, Metropolitan Theophilus restored unity with the Synod of Bishops Abroad, a unity that lived on for 11 years, until the end of 1946, when he switched his allegiance to the Moscow Patriarchate. A year later, he rejected this unity, and the Metropolia was left without canonical leadership, its bishops in isolation, separate from the Council and the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, under which it had twice before existed. This attempt at autocephaly or permanent separation from the Russian Church occurred in a difficult moment in its life, and the attempt to gain communion with the Moscow Patriarchate, with that unfortunate agent and ally of the godless bolshevik authority, is a witness to the errors made every time during its separation from the Synod of Bishops Abroad, for which such ways are foreign. The advice of the entire episcopacy abroad, under the guidance and lawful leadership of the eldest bishops, would have guaranteed a better path for the American part of the church in the diaspora. The same belonging to the Mother Russian Church of all of its parts abroad, the same conditions of its breaking of communion with her, the temporary situation of all in expectation of its emancipation and its expression of free will in the matters of the church, and finally the demands of the Christian conscience and Church laws and regulations persistently and in every way require unity within our Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

But still, a great deal of effort is expended in creating impossible, artificial and very unsubstantial reasons for the continuation of the schism, which will continue for the unforeseen future. Still, one cannot but celebrate and rejoice that the canonical path within our American Mission-diocese, from its establishment in 1794 until this day was never broken. At the crucial moment in our Mission, in 1926-1927, when by separating from the canonical ecclesiastical authority of the Council and Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, loyal to its Mother Russian Church, and by unilaterally establishing an autocephalous administration, the canonical thread of its existence could have been torn—and yet caught and restored. The North American Diocese of the Council continues the canonical jurisdiction of the Council and Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in America after the departure of Metropolitan Platon. The path of truth on the territory of our old Mission was preserved. It continues even now in the Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia "[n.b. The North American and Canadian Dioceses were often viewed as a single diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, even though it was divided by region.]."

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2004, 06:11:56 AM »

[As far as I know, the canon you mention refers to lands inhabited by "heathens". The EP has attempted to use this canon to try and extend their governing rights to America, a "heathen" land. Seems silly to me, and many others.]

It is silly since it also referenences three specific provinces or areas outside the boundaries of Greece  -

Chalcedon  A.D. 451

Canon XXVIII:

The Bishop of New Rome shall the same honor and priveleges of Old Rome, on accout of the removal of the empire.  FOR THIS REASON THE (METROPOITANS) OF PONTUS, OF ASIA, AND OF THRACE, AS WELL AS ALL THE BARBARIAN BISHOPS SHALL BE ORDAINED BY THE BISHOP OF CONSTANTINOPLE.

In those days any non Greek speaking land was considered as barbarian by them.

Orthodoc

It's not only silly it is very dangerous.  If the EP actually has jurisdiction in all non-Orthodox countries, he is starting to get closer to being an Orthodox Pope.  

Brendan

B
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2004, 07:27:54 AM »

As far as I know, the canon you mention refers to lands inhabited by "heathens". The EP has attempted to use this canon to try and extend their governing rights to America, a "heathen" land. Seems silly to me, and many others.

Heathens, barbarians, whatever...the EP seems actually to be trying to extend this canon to cover just about anywhere where a national church- autocephalous or autonomous, does not yet exist (conveniently ignoring his role in recognizing that very status). Yes, he is clearly out of bounds here.
Some "one" of the Russian jurisdictions here surely has precedence in North America. My read is the OCA; but until the Russians work out their problems, that is problematic and allows the problem to fester.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2004, 10:41:13 AM »

He, along with some Hellenists already think he is. Excerpt from an article posted on one of the Orthodox discussion groups put out by a Hellenist organization  and my response -

-------

The Vatican is the heart of Roman Catholic Christianity. The Ecumenical
Patriarchate of Constantinople, is the heart of Orthodox Christianity.
In other words the so called heart of Orthodoxy Christianity is located in a city which -

1)  Is no longer Christian
2)  Which is no longer Constantinople
3)  Which contains less than 3000 Orthodox Christians
4)  Whose leader is picked by, and approved by, a non Christian anti Orthodox government
5)  Who must be a natural born Turkish citizen to be elected & consecrated
6)  Who can't travel without the permission of that government
7)  Whose residence is so controlled that it can't even fix a toilet without permission

HELLENISM IS DEAD!  CONSTANTINOPLE IS NO MORE!  And its about time the people who write this drivel stop trying to live off the glories of the past and see things as they really are.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate IS NOT THE POPE OF THE ORTHODOX!  He never was, and he never will be.  It's time the title of 'first amongst equals' be dropped.  It brought about a schism in the church in the beginning of the 2nd millenium and it may just do it again in the beginning of the 3rd millenium if  articles like this which are centered around cultural pride rather than Christian history and ideals are perpetuated.

The heart of Orthodoxy lies in its only head which is Christ himself!

--------

Orthodoc

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »

He, along with some Hellenists already think he is. Excerpt from an article posted on one of the Orthodox discussion groups put out by a Hellenist organization  and my response -

-------

The Vatican is the heart of Roman Catholic Christianity. The Ecumenical
Patriarchate of Constantinople, is the heart of Orthodox Christianity.
In other words the so called heart of Orthodoxy Christianity is located in a city which -

1)  Is no longer Christian
2)  Which is no longer Constantinople
3)  Which contains less than 3000 Orthodox Christians
4)  Whose leader is picked by, and approved by, a non Christian anti Orthodox government
5)  Who must be a natural born Turkish citizen to be elected & consecrated
6)  Who can't travel without the permission of that government
7)  Whose residence is so controlled that it can't even fix a toilet without permission

HELLENISM IS DEAD!  CONSTANTINOPLE IS NO MORE!  And its about time the people who write this drivel stop trying to live off the glories of the past and see things as they really are.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate IS NOT THE POPE OF THE ORTHODOX!  He never was, and he never will be.  It's time the title of 'first amongst equals' be dropped.  It brought about a schism in the church in the beginning of the 2nd millenium and it may just do it again in the beginning of the 3rd millenium if  articles like this which are centered around cultural pride rather than Christian history and ideals are perpetuated.

The heart of Orthodoxy lies in its only head which is Christ himself!

--------

Orthodoc

can you provide a weblink to the source of that article.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: