OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Sanctified Liturgy at Christ the Saviour in Moscow  (Read 2229 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: March 19, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »

Wow, the MP's youtube site is awesome....http://www.youtube.com/user/russianchurch#p/u/12/wXq_N9iQY_g
I can close my eyes and imagine an image of Hagia Sophia at the height of the empire. Many years!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »

I find seeing the Patriarch of Moscow making the Sign of the Cross and bowing before the Holy Altar extremely humbling. Here we have a primate of the largest Orthodox Church in the whole World making same ordinary gestures and bowing before Christ just like everybody else. This is Christianity. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:03:59 PM by Alpo » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

Wow, that was intense to the highest degree! So beautiful and awesome.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »

A truly beautiful service, but I was taken back by those processing out of the altar, crossing in front of the Patriarch.  I was told, "Never cross between the altar table and the bishop."  

I agree, I can imagine what the Liturgy must have been like at Hagia Sophia in its prime.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:25:22 PM by Monk Vasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »

I think the deacon with the mustache-less beard who is censing to the Patriarch's left was with the head of St. John Chrysostom when it was in NYC last year.  If that's him, he has one of the most beautiful baritone voices I've ever heard.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »

Also, how do the bishops keep their mitres on?  They look so top heavy that even if it's fitted properly, the slightest bow past horizontal will have it falling right off!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »

Also, how do the bishops keep their mitres on?  They look so top heavy that even if it's fitted properly, the slightest bow past horizontal will have it falling right off!

Its called willpower...lol   Cheesy

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »

Ah, one of the great holy mysteries of Orthodoxy!

I believe they are hollow inside and fit around the head a little more snugly than might be readily apparent, helping the bishop keep it on.  Although I could swear some bishops must have an invisible angel standing by to hold it in place.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »

Everything Was Just Great, though i didn't and don't like ,The deep voice Chants, of the Russian Deacons and high Back vestments , to me they look like they never fit right, everything else was just Grand...... police
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:32:09 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:56:25 AM »

How beautiful, how inspiring!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:06 AM »

How after watching that could anyone even think of going to a service in a protestant church with a "praise band".
This is the Faith that established the universe..
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »

Everything Was Just Great, though i didn't and don't like ,The deep voice Chants, of the Russian Deacons and high Back vestments , to me they look like they never fit right, everything else was just Grand...... police

Yea, I'm not a fan of those ultra deep deacon voices.  As for the High Back vestments...they are fine, but they need to be made for the person wearing them and that person needs to know how to wear them.  I remember a little priest wearing those high backs and he literally disappeared from view...lol  As to not knowing how to wear them...I remember one priest would constantly tug at the front of his vestment and in the process break the back so it would be all floppy.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »

Yea, I'm not a fan of those ultra deep deacon voices.  As for the High Back vestments...they are fine, but they need to be made for the person wearing them and that person needs to know how to wear them.  I remember a little priest wearing those high backs and he literally disappeared from view...lol  As to not knowing how to wear them...I remember one priest would constantly tug at the front of his vestment and in the process break the back so it would be all floppy.

The thing that annoys me the most about high-backed vestments is the way the back gets off center, if you will.  I'm a bit of a stickler for symmetry in many things, this being one of them.  It distracts me so much that I want to run up and fix the vestment for the priest, kind of like picking a white thread off the back of a dark blue sweater Wink

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »

Wow, Stashko and I agree on something!  Wink
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »

Subscribed.

Also, as to how the bishops keep their mitres on... Duct tape. Man's best inanimate friend. Grin
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »

Subscribed.

Also, as to how the bishops keep their mitres on... Duct tape. Man's best inanimate friend. Grin

Even duct tape wouldn't hold those big mitres.... Gorrilla Glue.  That's it. Grin
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

A truly beautiful service, but I was taken back by those processing out of the altar, crossing in front of the Patriarch.  I was told, "Never cross between the altar table and the bishop."  

I agree, I can imagine what the Liturgy must have been like at Hagia Sophia in its prime.

I was also very surprised that everyone crossed in front of the Patriarch having received the same instruction never to cross between the altar table and the bishop, but given the length of the Cathedral the procession would have taken at least twice as long....

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

AFAIR mitres have drawcords in the cloth padding so that they don't fall.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »

AFAIR mitres have drawcords in the cloth padding so that they don't fall.

My kamilavka & klobuk have those drawcords, also.  They really do work.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »

Why do Russians love those enormous hats?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »

I love Russia, It's Churches and It's People ,They love Doing thing's on a grand scale.... Grin

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:42:32 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »

I don't know, maybe Russia is like the Texas of Eurasia, and everything has to be bigger there because the country is big.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:22:57 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »

With those dreary, difficult and severe Russian winters, it's no wonder the Russians have a fine appreciation for art... and doing things BIG!  If you think those mitres are big, you should see what they were like 100 years ago.  Even in the Catholic Church, hierarchs wore HUGE mitres.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »

With those dreary, difficult and severe Russian winters, it's no wonder the Russians have a fine appreciation for art... and doing things BIG!  If you think those mitres are big, you should see what they were like 100 years ago.  Even in the Catholic Church, hierarchs wore HUGE mitres.

Hat envy, perhaps?  Wink
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »

The thing that annoys me the most about high-backed vestments is the way the back gets off center, if you will.  I'm a bit of a stickler for symmetry in many things, this being one of them.  It distracts me so much that I want to run up and fix the vestment for the priest, kind of like picking a white thread off the back of a dark blue sweater Wink

This is true. Just to look up and see that the cross on the back is just a hair to the right-of-center can be quite annoying! However, I have heard from one priest that the high-back is the more ancient tradition, as is true for many things in the Russian Church, which was cut off from the various reforms over time from the Greeks. This accounts for many of the changes between the two liturgical customs.

How after watching that could anyone even think of going to a service in a protestant church with a "praise band".
This is the Faith that established the universe..

I know, right!? I've went to a Protestant church a few times for friends, but I haven't regularly attended for over two years. I wonder what my thoughts would be?

I have a friend who I knew before becoming Orthodox, she and her husband are now inquiring at my parish (her husband's two brothers are recent converts here, as well). She went to visit friends last weekend and attended services with them at a Baptist church. She said it felt so shallow and empty. She's only been inquiring for a few months!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »

a beautiful service.  the face that the MP was serving only makes it more of something to watch  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: