OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:45:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Observation about Church Design  (Read 367 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: March 19, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

I came across this video from the MP's youtube channel. They do excellent work and I check it often.

My comments about this video are directed to those who would criticize some of our older, venerable temples in America for their design or iconography. We inherit the churches which our ancestors bequeathed us and while we would not design them or adorn them in the same way today, we should neither be embarrassed about nor make excuses about them. Likewise, others should refrain from criticizing them. Check this out, particularly at 1:31 -1:42. Our parish cemetery has the same design in its center cross donated in 1912 and the church as a memorial to the victims of world war one from 1918 of similar design. They are not going anywhere. I have declined to link some of my own videos for fear of someone or another saying something uncharitable, but if it is good enough for his All Holiness, it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/russianchurch#p/u/4/4a03uniwp4Y
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

I came across this video from the MP's youtube channel. They do excellent work and I check it often.

My comments about this video are directed to those who would criticize some of our older, venerable temples in America for their design or iconography. We inherit the churches which our ancestors bequeathed us and while we would not design them or adorn them in the same way today, we should neither be embarrassed about nor make excuses about them. Likewise, others should refrain from criticizing them. Check this out, particularly at 1:31 -1:42. Our parish cemetery has the same design in its center cross donated in 1912 and the church as a memorial to the victims of world war one from 1918 of similar design. They are not going anywhere. I have declined to link some of my own videos for fear of someone or another saying something uncharitable, but if it is good enough for his All Holiness, it works for me.

What are your comments about though? I'm not quite sure what "criticism" your addressing or what "older" temples in America you are referring to, or what style/design you are referring to.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

What are your comments about though? I'm not quite sure what "criticism" your addressing or what "older" temples in America you are referring to, or what style/design you are referring to.

I am not addressing any particular post, but over the years, many of us have grown tired of being told this or that icon is or is not Orthodox etc....I am just pointing out the range of things that one will come across in one's journey through the many churches and temples you will find. That's all.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: