OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgive me for I have sinned.  (Read 603 times) Average Rating: 0
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »

I noticed grapes on the calendar today.  My heart jumped.  Also, due to a medical condition, my priest said that I can eat fish.  So, I just finished eating some giant olives stuffed with jalapino peppers and garlic, crackers with humus, and pickled herring in wine sauce.  The problem is, I ENJOYED IT!  I guess that makes me a Calvinist and I am now going to Hell.  Oh wait a minute, I can't be a Calvinist since they are not supposed to enjoy anything either.  Hmmm . . . I guess that I must still be a Lutheran.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »

I noticed grapes on the calendar today.  My heart jumped.  Also, due to a medical condition, my priest said that I can eat fish.  So, I just finished eating some giant olives stuffed with jalapino peppers and garlic, crackers with humus, and pickled herring in wine sauce.  The problem is, I ENJOYED IT!  I guess that makes me a Calvinist and I am now going to Hell.  Oh wait a minute, I can't be a Calvinist since they are not supposed to enjoy anything either.  Hmmm . . . I guess that I must still be a Lutheran.

I remember an old priest telling me once that just because the saints are never depicted smiling on an icon, that doesn't mean that they didn't enjoy a good laugh in life! lol Wink
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »

Amen!  And I am also very happy that you took the post in the spirit that it was written.  laugh

I remember an old priest telling me once that just because the saints are never depicted smiling on an icon, that doesn't mean that they didn't enjoy a good laugh in life! lol Wink

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

Lent is called bright sadness.

We can rejoice in our food which God gives to sustain us.
The key is to offer thanksgiving for His blessings.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »

I am sure. They were Human like all of us.

I don't buy that the saints were indifferent to everything... I may be wrong. But they weren't.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »

I am sure. They were Human like all of us.

I don't buy that the saints were indifferent to everything... I may be wrong. But they weren't.

You bumped an old thread!

And God created grapes and wine to gladden man's heart.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »

I never smile or laugh, and let all who do be anathema
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

I never smile or laugh, and let all who do be anathema

Why is there this sudden influx of Byzantine Catholics?
Has John over at ByzCath kicked out a bunch again?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »

It is times like these that I think on some of the most brilliant words written here:

Did you give up your sense of humor in solidarity with Conan or out of Orthodox romanticism?

There are only tears in holy Russia.

And laugh again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

I have a friend who maintains that the 12 apostles — being a wayfaring group of men — must of at some point sat around a campfire farting and laughing about it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »

I have a friend who maintains that the 12 apostles — being a wayfaring group of men — must of at some point sat around a campfire farting and laughing about it.

Especially if they got too close to the fire.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »

One of the pre-communion prayers in my prayer book includes "laughing frivolously" as a sin... Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: