OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine vs. Slavic  (Read 992 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »

I went to presanctified liturgy at the Greek Church in my town, and noticed some differentes from the Russian tradition OCA Church I attend.  one was that they don't prostrate nearly as much as we do at this service.  they also had a piano just outside the iconostasis, the priest used a microphone attached to his vestments, and there were no oil lamps flickering before the icons, but electric light bulbs made to look like real lampadas. 

is this commen in all Greek Orthodox Churches?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

I went to presanctified liturgy at the Greek Church in my town, and noticed some differentes from the Russian tradition OCA Church I attend.  one was that they don't prostrate nearly as much as we do at this service.  they also had a piano just outside the iconostasis, the priest used a microphone attached to his vestments, and there were no oil lamps flickering before the icons, but electric light bulbs made to look like real lampadas. 

Probably not, you will find as you go around the country and experience the varieties of Orthodox culture and tradition that there are many variations from that of your local parish.

Don't be distressed as you will never find a parish 'just like home' in your journey. Even within the OCA you will come upon many variations, more subtle than those you describe ( and certainly no musical instruments), but you will find yourself questioning them anyway. Don't worry, all is cool!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

For the most part, these differences have more to do with the age of the parish than the jurisdiction or liturgical heritage. I've been to OCA, Romanian, Serbian, and Antiochian parishes with fake lampadas. Such things were very popular until the 70s. Same for organs and keyboards.

Lavalier microphones, however, can be found across the Orthodox world. I've seen them in parishes, cathedrals and monasteries in Romania, Russia, Greece, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc. Many monasteries even have loudspeakers on the outside of the church, so the crowds that can't fit into the nave can hear what's going on inside as they gather around the building.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »

For the most part, these differences have more to do with the age of the parish than the jurisdiction or liturgical heritage. I've been to OCA, Romanian, Serbian, and Antiochian parishes with fake lampadas. Such things were very popular until the 70s. Same for organs and keyboards.

Lavalier microphones, however, can be found across the Orthodox world. I've seen them in parishes, cathedrals and monasteries in Romania, Russia, Greece, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc. Many monasteries even have loudspeakers on the outside of the church, so the crowds that can't fit into the nave can hear what's going on inside as they gather around the building.

I've seen 'electric candles' in many churches but never organs and keyboards in any Slavic tradition. Can't speak for the Antiochians as I have no direct contact with them as there aren't as many of them in the rust belt.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »

In my OCA parish the priests wear Microphones.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

Microphones depend upon the size and acoustics of the Church.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

yeah and me being a theater kid every time the mics are finicky I want to find the system and fix them.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:36 AM »

Microphones depend upon the size and acoustics of the Church.

Correction: They should depend on the size and acoustics of the Church. In my experience, however, the setup is woefully tuned, no matter which church or parish I've set foot in which has them. Ghastly. Thank God the nearest church to me is blessed with wonderful, perfect acoustics, and not a single microphone. Bliss.

Here's a post I made some time ago on another thread, reproducing an article from a Greek newspaper by a journalist in despair over the plague of microphones in Greek churches:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12140.msg318218.html#msg318218
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:31:14 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »

What's wrong with microphones?
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »

What's wrong with microphones?

Let me count the (technical) ways... I do remember vividly the architectural devices that were used in the Church of Holy Wisdom in Constantinople to make sure that the sound carried to all corners of the church. Although the technical devices of old were architectural in nature, the principle is the same with the use of electronic devices. However, there are so many things that can go wrong with electronic devices, particularly mikes. They can cut out, distort, introduce buzzes and hisses, and worse of all, high pitched squeals.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »

I'm more taken aback at the mention of a piano. I've never seen a piano in an EO or OO church.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »

Yeah. I would describe  the electric votives, piano and mic all as "ghastly."

I can understand a mic if the acoustics of the building just don't suffice. We're in a storefront right now, and it's quite necessary. We hope to finally build our own temple in a traditional Orthodox style that...Lord willing...won't need mics!

The only use for a piano would be a very small one, hidden and used only for tuning purposes...although I prefer the choir director use a tuning fork instead.

There is no excuse for electric lampadas that I can think of. Many points of the lamp are antithetical for electric lighting. The smell of the oil, the fact that materials are actually being consumed by flame, the attention and care needed to maintain an oil lamp, etc. A lot of cheesy things were done with electricity in our churches in the 60s and 70s, so I can't say too much. Though...it's time to move on! err...back, that is...Grin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:52:06 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

although I prefer the choir director use a tuning fork instead.

It seems most of the OCA churches around here do that.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »

I'm more taken aback at the mention of a piano. I've never seen a piano in an EO or OO church.

Me neither, although keyboards seem to be all the rage in Indian churches.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »

Me neither, although keyboards seem to be all the rage in Indian churches.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: