OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UKRAINIAN ORTHODOX-CATHOLIC BILATERAL DIALOGUE  (Read 551 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »

http://risu.org.ua/en/index/studios/materials_conferences/41159/

Whether or not we can get a worthy discussion going on this article, it is still something that we all need to read carefully...probably more than once.  I wish there were more priests like this one...everywhere!

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »

Whether or not we can get a worthy discussion going on this article, it is still something that we all need to read carefully...probably more than once.  I wish there were more priests like this one...everywhere!

What an interesting and thought provoking article. I do need to carefully reread it and I do fear that your posting of this here will ignite some silly business. None the less, it was worth posting - not that I might agree with all of his argument but for the sake of honest, open conversation from which we both may learn and benefit.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »

What an interesting and thought provoking article. I do need to carefully reread it and I do fear that your posting of this here will ignite some silly business. None the less, it was worth posting - not that I might agree with all of his argument but for the sake of honest, open conversation from which we both may learn and benefit.

Can't ask for more than that at this juncture.  Thanks for the positive vibe!!

M.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »

I read the article pretty fast, but what I seem to understand pretty much is we should understand one another, condemn our dark past, move on with loving one another, and find what we have in common with one another.

I like dialogues.  I think it helps understand the position of the other better.  But I do feel it's time to push the envelope just a little and address the things that divide us.  I think many well-minded clergy that are involved in these dialogues are not polemical enough to cause a misrepresentation of the others' beliefs.  I feel there needs to be an umph of a challenge while maintaining the love so to speak.  I just hope that the challenge doesn't degenerate into past polemical jargon, which might be the risk, but I believe it's a risk worth taking.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »

I read it pretty fast but it seems to contain the same old, repeated arguments.  The priest references the Balamand Agreement.  Obviously this priest has never read the Balamand statement or is blind to what is really contained in that document. It is a victory for papal hegemony and regards the unia as a path to unity which even His All Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Vartholomaios I has decried as unacceptable as a means to unity with the western schismatics. It's not worth the paper it's printed on and frankly all dialogues with the Catholics should start over from scratch...no exceptions and no wavering.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:37:36 AM »

It won't come up for me, but I doubt I am missing anything.  I expect that the Vatican wants the Orthodox to let the UGCC do in Urkaine outside of Galicia that the Vatican won't let the UGCC do in Rome and Italy, celebrating what the Vatican has done in Galicia and West Ukraine in the meantime.

Kiev has a Latin bishop, and has had one for centuries. He doesn't answer to the UGCC.  The UGCC's major archbishop, so called "Patriarch," is not the ordinary of Kiev.  The Vatican and its Latin church doesn't recognize the jurisdiction of the UGCC, why should the Orthodox?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Catholic-Orthodox dialogue 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: