OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:18:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you fast?  (Read 1016 times) Average Rating: 0
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:05 AM »

By fast, I don't mean Lent type of fast. I mean, just a day where you want to fast to increase your spiritual hunger for God. Do you fast both foods and beverages, including water? Or do you drink water but don't have anything else? Do you fast sweets and fried foods? Or meats? Or grains?

I'm going to start fasting on Fridays, Friday being the day of Christ's crucifixion. I think that if He can spend the day dying on a cross for me, then I can spend a day without food. I just wanted to know how you fast so I can get an idea of it. And what do you do when you fast? Do you pray more, watch less tv, etc?

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »

The traditional practice of the Church on days of strict fasting (such as Wednesdays and Fridays) is to abstain from food and drink until the Ninth Hour (i.e. 3p.m.), although in practice this usually means abstaining until after Vespers since the two services are normally combined. After this, one is encouraged to just eat a single meal, which should not contain any meat, eggs, dairy, fish, oil or wine.

However, how one fasts is very much a personal matter. Most do not fast as strictly as what I described above, others observe a rule much stricter than what the Church prescribes. You work out, on an individual basis and with the help of your spiritual father, what you are capable of and what will be most beneficial for your spiritual progress.

Fasting from food is only an aid to help us fast from the passions. Our fast should, therefore, also be accompanied by prayer, almsgiving, helping others, etc. Again, the extent to which we do these things is something that should be worked out on a personal basis.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »

The traditional practice of the Church on days of strict fasting (such as Wednesdays and Fridays) is to abstain from food and drink until the Ninth Hour (i.e. 3p.m.), although in practice this usually means abstaining until after Vespers since the two services are normally combined. After this, one is encouraged to just eat a single meal, which should not contain any meat, eggs, dairy, fish, oil or wine.

However, how one fasts is very much a personal matter. Most do not fast as strictly as what I described above, others observe a rule much stricter than what the Church prescribes. You work out, on an individual basis and with the help of your spiritual father, what you are capable of and what will be most beneficial for your spiritual progress.

Fasting from food is only an aid to help us fast from the passions. Our fast should, therefore, also be accompanied by prayer, almsgiving, helping others, etc. Again, the extent to which we do these things is something that should be worked out on a personal basis.

^Great Answer!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »

You mean that I shouldn't wolf a salad down between the two?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »

start small and build up.
if you can spend one hour in prayer every friday, this is a great start and more than many (myself included) achieve. if you abstain from food and drink, abstain only till lunchtime when you first start, or start abstaining from food only, but drink water.

if you can, take advice from a priest, and use a prayer book to guide your thoughts, and study the Bible, especially the stories of Jesus' life and death and resurrection.

perhaps do a little bit more each week, then go to church on Good Friday (if you are able) and then fast and pray all day.
it is a great way to prepare for the paschal liturgy.
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »

start small and build up.
if you can spend one hour in prayer every friday, this is a great start and more than many (myself included) achieve. if you abstain from food and drink, abstain only till lunchtime when you first start, or start abstaining from food only, but drink water.

if you can, take advice from a priest, and use a prayer book to guide your thoughts, and study the Bible, especially the stories of Jesus' life and death and resurrection.

perhaps do a little bit more each week, then go to church on Good Friday (if you are able) and then fast and pray all day.
it is a great way to prepare for the paschal liturgy.
Thank you for the tips. Though, I am not Orthodox yet, so going to liturgy isn't something I can do right now. Tongue

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »

i went to very many orthodox liturgies before i became orthodox. it taught me very much about God  Smiley
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »

i went to very many orthodox liturgies before i became orthodox. it taught me very much about God  Smiley

same here. just don't take communion.

i actually would leave during pre-sanctified when they would do the "catechumens depart!" bit.  they would say that and i would gather my things and leave.  my godfather got a kick out of that when i told him.  Grin
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »

Thank you for the tips. Though, I am not Orthodox yet, so going to liturgy isn't something I can do right now. Tongue
Huh I go to liturgy. I just don't take communion.

I think that the best way to know if Orthodoxy fits is to attend as many services as possible.

Do you mean the pre-sanctified or any services in general?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »

I think that the best way to know if Orthodoxy fits is to attend as many services as possible.

Well, I can't drive, and my parents won't let me go to another church in general until I'm 18, so liturgy is out of the question.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »

Oh, I didn't know! Lord have mercy.

I think that it's great you discovered Orthodoxy so young. Stay strong! God has us go through different paths to get there, and your perseverance in studying and praying for the time being is amazing.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »

Well, I can't drive, and my parents won't let me go to another church in general until I'm 18, so liturgy is out of the question.
God will provide he will give you the strength to persevere.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »

we will pray for you, please pray for us too.
i have several 'not quite orthodox' friends, so there are many with you on your journey.
may God guide you  Smiley
Malina

Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »

Fasting must be spiritual and then bodily. We have to increase our thoughts about God and try always to remember His presence.
Almighty God help us, save us and give us strength to overcome all troubles and obstacles during fasting.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: