OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 02:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Question about praying the hours  (Read 941 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: March 17, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »

So, I'm ne of these people who for whatever reason has chosen to spend an inordinate amount of time in school, and as such, years, a marriage, some jobs, and 2 kids later, I am still in school.  Cry

I have recently taken to trying to pray the hours, and I was curious for opinions:
Is there anything wrong with stepping out of class, quietly, to say, for instance, the 6th hour, or the midday prayers?

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »

i dont see why it would be wrong
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:47 AM »

Muslims do it all the time.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »

It's never wrong to pray....unless you do it to draw attention to yourself in order to appear more pious than others.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

I work with Muslims, and they will physically leave meetings, labs, etc...to go and pray.  Midday Friday they all leave the building to go pray.

I have to give them credit for sticking to their faith...as misguided as it is.  They will fast for Ramadan, they will go and pray...and they are not embarrassed.

I wish more Christians had such strength of character.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

So, I'm ne of these people who for whatever reason has chosen to spend an inordinate amount of time in school, and as such, years, a marriage, some jobs, and 2 kids later, I am still in school.  Cry

I have recently taken to trying to pray the hours, and I was curious for opinions:
Is there anything wrong with stepping out of class, quietly, to say, for instance, the 6th hour, or the midday prayers?

In a few weeks, during Holy Week, we will pray Bridegroom Matins in the evening and Vesperal Liturgies in the mid-afternoon. I don't think it is crucial to pray the 6th hour at high noon.

Wait until after class, and don't draw attention to yourself. Matt. 6:5-6.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with it. The only thing is--if I remember correctly--each hour usually took me 9-10 minutes, which might be a significant chunk of time to miss a class (or not, depending on the class I suppose). Fwiw, it's common to group the hours (and the rest of the cycle of prayers/services) together, so there's no harm in not saying them at the technically-specified time. But like I said, nothing wrong with it if that's what works for you, IMO.

An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith
A Rough Overview of What a Handful of Greek-Speaking Christians Wrote in the 4th-7th Centuries
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »

After telling my Muslim supervisors at work that Christians also had a fixed cycle of daily prayers, they all got very excited and would constantly ask me whether I needed to take a prayer-break. They also went out of their way to make sure I got the day off on feast days so that I could attend church  Smiley
Hermogenes
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »

I have a question about the Ladder of Divine Ascent. I know how to read it during the sixth hour, but I don't know where it goes during the third and ninth hours. And there's no prokeimenon to introduce it.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step?

Thanks!
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »

Prayer closet and all that.

And if I were not teaching at a school full of American PC nonsense, I would fail a student who left class on regular basis for something that was not life threatening.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:19:53 AM »

Prayer closet and all that.

And if I were not teaching at a school full of American PC nonsense, I would fail a student who left class on regular basis for something that was not life threatening.

This is basically why I posed the question.
To be clear, I wasn't at all proposing that I say "hey I'm gonna go say my prayers now, you know the Orthodox Christian ones, cuz I'm pious". I was talking more about hopping out quietly as if I were going to the bathroom, but your point here is what I was concerned about.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »

I would say it depends on the length of the class. IIRC, a typical high school class, for instance, was roughly 40-45 minutes long. Ten minutes is a significant part of the class to miss on a daily basis.

A better solution might be to pray during lunchtime. It may not be exactly at noon, but since the hours are spaced roughly every 3 hours, there is a window of time in which they can be properly said. Or if there is a study hall period in the day, that could be a good time.

I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving class to pray, I just question the wisdom of missing such a large chunk of time unnecessarily, if other times are available.

On the other hand, some schools have longer block periods, so it would be a smaller percentage of the class. Colleges may have 4+ hour classes, so it's less of a concern. It depends on the school's dynamics, I suppose.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »

My classes are 1.5 hrs or 3 hrs

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: