Author Topic: Albanian Diocese English translation  (Read 483 times)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Albanian Diocese English translation
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
I am listening to Fr. Hopko's newest series on the Divine Liturgy on AFR.  During his discussion of the various English translations that were made over the past 100 years, he mentions the "idiosyncratic" translation of the Divine Liturgy by Bishop Fan.  He mentions there were some controversial problems with it but then moves on.

Does anyone know any more about this particular translation and what was so odd about it?
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: Albanian Diocese English translation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
I am listening to Fr. Hopko's newest series on the Divine Liturgy on AFR.  During his discussion of the various English translations that were made over the past 100 years, he mentions the "idiosyncratic" translation of the Divine Liturgy by Bishop Fan.  He mentions there were some controversial problems with it but then moves on.

Does anyone know any more about this particular translation and what was so odd about it?
Haven't heard that one:I've seen the translation (many years ago, when I was freshly chrismated).  Bp. Elia is supposed to be here Tuesday, if I get the opportunity, I'll ask him, Lord willing.

Of course, you can always try emailing Fr. Hopko and ask.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Re: Albanian Diocese English translation
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
Thanks, Isa.

And yes, I'm emailing Fr. Hopko to ask him to elaborate on that a little bit.  :)
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen