OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox History Documentary?  (Read 1813 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »

Greetings,
As Great Lent has begun, I am on my path of catechesis, and my wife is still learning much about her cradle faith, we are trying to put a LOT of our focus on God right now. One thing that my wife is very interested in is church history, and she really doesn't have any time to add any more books on her pile!

We just watched a very simple "History of Christianity" from A&E off of iTunes. It had it's faults, certainly, and it didn't tell me anything new, but my wife is very, admittedly, uninformed about history, and it taught her a bit. I was able to give her some edits on some of the more secular positions that the series took.

That said, the extent to which the Eastern church was covered was basically a bit on Justinian, the sack and fall of Constantinople, and a brief mention of how after said fall, Russia became a big deal. Not surprising, as it was produced for Americans. Anyone know of a good Orthodox History, either of the whole church or the Russian Church that could be downloaded on iTunes/Amazon, or somewhere like that? We can't really order stuff here very easily...

In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »

The Ancient Church:
part 1
part 2
part 3

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The_History_of_Orthodox_Christianity/70040865?trkid=496624#height1472

I haven't seen it, but I have placed it in my queue.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »

I think I miss Netflix more than anything else, being in Russia!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

Someone recently posted a BBC documentary hosted by Diarmaid MacCulloch called A History of Christianity. I believe it was Part 3 of the series (about an hour long), and it provided a fairly cursory but interesting examination of events leading up to the schism, various periods, e.g. the New Rome, the New New Rome, and challenges Orthodoxy faces today.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the link posted on this site, and my computer is not allowing youtube to function properly.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

I wish they had this streaming, I don't do the mailed dvds.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »

I saw that link to YouTube for the BBC series as well, but the link no longer works, and I could only find it in Spanish on YouTube...

Taylor

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »

Greetings in Christ!

Here is a link to Diarmaid MacCulloch's documentary.

http://www.cosmolearning.com/documentaries/a-history-of-christianity-1508/

It is not exactly Orthodox, but it is well-made and very informative.  Episodes 1 and 3 are particularly relevant to Orthodoxy, though I would say we can learn a lot from all of them.

Also, the "History of Orthodox Christianity" on Netflix is the same as the videos posted in the first reply.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: