OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:30:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patron Saint  (Read 1479 times) Average Rating: 0
Trevorthodox

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« on: March 16, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »

How do I develop a relationship with my new patron saint?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »

pray to him, read about his life and what he did.  if possible, consider making a trip to venerate his relics. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »

My Saint's (Peter) relics are in Papal territory....  Sad
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »

My Saint's (Peter) relics are in Papal territory....  Sad

would they still let you venerate them in an Orthodox manner?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »

They wouldn't stop you the EP has venerated the Relics of St. Peter when he visited the Vatican.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »

They wouldn't stop you the EP has venerated the Relics of St. Peter when he visited the Vatican.
That's what I was wondering. How would they stop you? Drag you out of the church?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »

They would think that you are an Eastern Catholic.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Margaret S.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »

I have venerated the relics of many pre-schism saints in Italy. Occasionally someone has looked twice  Cheesy but what you need to remember about Italy is the churches are visited by hordes of clueless tourists who do things much stranger than Orthodox veneration.

In Christ,
Sr Margaret
Trevorthodox

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

I didn't know there was a special way to venerate relics. How is it done?

Also I'm not sure where to go for St. Aidan of Lindisfarne... his bones were moved from Holy Island. Where are they?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »

You kiss them.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »

Although I never venerated relics or icons like that as a child, I recalled some RCC family members (from the Philippines) who used to kiss statues, pictures and the other items on the house altar.

I don't know how strange that might be considered in some RCC churches...

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Trevorthodox

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

You kiss them.

Do you mean kiss the actual bones?

A lot of our british saints were buried during the reformation. what is the practice for interred saints?

[btw. I have found the troparion and kontakion for st. aidan, and have started to use them before his icon... ]
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

You kiss them.

Do you mean kiss the actual bones?

A lot of our british saints were buried during the reformation. what is the practice for interred saints?

[btw. I have found the troparion and kontakion for st. aidan, and have started to use them before his icon... ]
for interred saints, you may venerate their coffin.  if underground, it's customary to take a rock from their grave as a relic, or perhapse kiss their tombstone?  useually saints in Orthodox countries are exhumed after being sainted.

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »

Orthodox saints in most country's are exhumed after being sainted for example St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »

Orthodox saints in most country's are exhumed after being sainted for example St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco.

and the bodies of some saints are unknown to us for hundreds of years, only until they meraculiouslt reveal to us the location of their relics. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

Relics are usually kept in the reliquaries.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

Where are the relics of St. John of Damascus? I tried searching for them, but nothing...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »

Also I'm not sure where to go for St. Aidan of Lindisfarne... his bones were moved from Holy Island. Where are they?
His relics were moved to Durham Cathedral in the 990s; St. Cuthbert  was also buried there. I'm sure the cathedral has been rebuilt at least a couple of times since then, so that might have to be taken into account, and hopefully both of their relics survived the Reformation... But I hope this helps.  Grin

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Margaret S.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:45 AM »

His relics were moved to Durham Cathedral in the 990s; St. Cuthbert  was also buried there. I'm sure the cathedral has been rebuilt at least a couple of times since then, so that might have to be taken into account, and hopefully both of their relics survived the Reformation... But I hope this helps.  Grin

According to an old pamphlet I have from Durham Cathedral it has all of the relics of St Cuthbert, the head of St Oswald and some of the relics of St Bede. It doesn't say anything about what eventually happened to St Aidan's remains.

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret
peteprint
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

Where are the relics of St. John of Damascus? I tried searching for them, but nothing...

I found this at: http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2010/03/asad-rustum-on-st-john-of-damascus.html

"In the year of our Lord 749, our Saint gave up the spirit at the Holy Monastery of Saint Sabba and was buried in it. Between the end of the twelfth century and the beginning of the thirteenth, his relics were transferred to Constantinople and deposited in the Church of All Saints near the Church of the Holy Apostles. The Crusaders robbed these two churches from the relics deposited therein. Finally, the Turks destroyed the Church of All Saints in order to erect the Mosque of Sultan Mehmet II"

However I also found a tomb of St. John of Damascus (with a photo) here, at the Russian Mission in Jerusalem:

http://www.jerusalem-mission.org/photo_judean_desert.html

This article from the book "The Sabaite Heritage in the Orthodox Church from the 5th Century to the Present (page 21) that I found in Google Books mentions the tomb, which would fit in with the first article.

http://books.google.com/books?id=O4pj9YNdgJYC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=tomb+of+st+john+of+damascus&source=bl&ots=sQO0FMVorz&sig=aL8-_xF2GCl94MFVBCBmqr5Fzjs&hl=en&ei=G2WGTaf6IYq4sQORpOzvAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=tomb%20of%20st%20john%20of%20damascus&f=false

I found a RC site that mentions the relics having been transferred to Constantinople as well.  If the Crusaders had taken them I am sure some RC church would claim to have them.  It looks like they were most likely destroyed by the Turks.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: