OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:47:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a few questions about visiting a ROCOR Church  (Read 423 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:51 AM »

Hello, all!  Christ is in our midst!

there is a ROCOR Church in a town near mine, and I'd like to make a pilgrimage there this summer.  here's the Church:
http://www.rocadenver.org/?language=ru

what are the differences between an OCA Church and a ROCOR Church?

how much of the liturgy will be in Russian?

should I go to confession there the night before communion?

lastly, my priest uses the traditional OCA service book.  our new priest, when he came to visit, used a service book from the ROCOR.  I thought this was interesting.  is it normal for OCA Churches to have ROCOR-style liturgies?  the only things that were different were the prayers he said, and instead of "Wisdom, attend!"  he said "Wisdom, let us be attentive!"

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »

I've only been to one ROCOR church, but this is what I observed.

what are the differences between an OCA Church and a ROCOR Church?

No pews; just chairs on the side- greater freedom of movement and a more encompassing worship space. Before the liturgy, I noticed people lining up to talk to the priest, in what I assumed to be a quick confession. I haven't seen this done in OCA churches.

how much of the liturgy will be in Russian?

Probably nothing except maybe for the sermon. The rest will be in Slavonic or possibly English.

should I go to confession there the night before communion?

If the priest doesn't know you, you should ask him. ROCOR seems to have a stricter 1 confession : 1 communion practice. But maybe you should talk to your own father-confessor first.

lastly, my priest uses the traditional OCA service book.  our new priest, when he came to visit, used a service book from the ROCOR.  I thought this was interesting.  is it normal for OCA Churches to have ROCOR-style liturgies?

I don't know, but I think the ROCOR translations are better overall. What is a "traditional OCA service book"? They seem to keep changing things. St. Tikhon's has improved their translation but I think ROCOR still has better texts for the psalms.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:14:10 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »

According to the English version of the site, "services are conducted in both English and in Church Slavonic."

And it's certainly advisable to go to that church for confession the night before if you wish to receive communion there the next morning.  That is, from what I know, standard ROCOR practice.

As for the differences, you might find the services a bit longer and the music slightly different, especially if your OCA parish has more of a Carpatho-Rusyn influence than a Russian one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:12:36 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: