OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 10:34:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Communion Prayer as a Catechumen  (Read 1374 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: March 13, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »

OK, in the old days I would be kicked before the Orthodox pray the pre-Communion prayers. Well I am not forced out now.

So when you were catechumens, did you pray the Pre-Communion prayers, although you were not taking nor able to take Communion?

One thoughtful reply I have heard, is that one person did (IIRC) as a prayer toward the future, when he would be participating.

I've heard others say they do, to be praying with the Church.

Thoughts?

While I believe the content of the prayers, I feel a little odd praying them given my status within/out the Church.

This is a niggling question I didn't bring up with my Priest because of larger lentils to boil today.

Then again, I do say the Creed and the Lord's Prayer.

One personal tidbit, which might be helpful. My catechumenate is not going to be a long, personal engagement and test to determine my sincerity. That was done as an inquirer due to reasons specific to my situation and my Priest's discretion. So God willing, I will be received into the Church relatively soon and I doubt I will terminating the process within that time. Dunno if that matters.

Again thoughts from the wiser than I.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »

So when you were catechumens, did you pray the Pre-Communion prayers, although you were not taking nor able to take Communion?

One thoughtful reply I have heard, is that one person did (IIRC) as a prayer toward the future, when he would be participating.

While I believe the content of the prayers, I feel a little odd praying them given my status within/out the Church.
If that person wasn't me, it could have been. Most of the prayer is not time sensitive, so I couldn't see any reason to not pray it. No one suggested that I do otherwise. I did change one phrase to "Of thy Mystical Supper, O Son of God, accept me one day as a communicant...", keeping my voice low enough to avoid being a distraction to others.

One personal tidbit, which might be helpful. My catechumenate is not going to be a long, personal engagement and test to determine my sincerity. That was done as an inquirer due to reasons specific to my situation and my Priest's discretion. So God willing, I will be received into the Church relatively soon and I doubt I will terminating the process within that time. Dunno if that matters.

Again thoughts from the wiser than I.
I think you just have to say that you had a long informal catechumenate. If you were working under your priest's direction, there's no problem with that.

Keep us posted.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »

If that person wasn't me, it could have been. Most of the prayer is not time sensitive, so I couldn't see any reason to not pray it. No one suggested that I do otherwise. I did change one phrase to "Of thy Mystical Supper, O Son of God, accept me one day as a communicant...", keeping my voice low enough to avoid being a distraction to others.

Nice! Many thanks!

NW Nik

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

+ St. Nikolai (Velimirovich) of blessed memory +

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »

During the time I spent as an inquirer/catechumen I felt conflicted at times but realized I was praying "towards" my future participation.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »

It's been a while, but when I was a catechumen, I did not say it, and never did until after I was received into the Church.  It was a very emotional moment for me to be able to say it before receiving Communion for the first time. 

If you feel like you should say it for your future participation, it might be best to ask your priest what to do.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »

I had no problem praying the final communion prayer of St. John Chrysostom.  I did not pray it because I was consciously looking forward to the time I could receive the immaculate body and precious blood of our Lord but prayed it as a confession of what the Eucharist really is--our Lord's very self prepared for us sinners to receive immortality and remission of our sins.  Besides, it's never too early to get into a consistent habit of prayer when approaching the Eucharist. Smiley

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:00:18 AM »

Back when I was partaking in the EOC I did not say the prayers before I was initiated nor would I when I was in a non-communicating state.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:22:15 AM »

I am starting to read the "prayers before and after communion" now to get in the habit of doing it.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »

As a catechumen I would say the first section of the prayer, stopping at "Of Thy Mystical Supper..."
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »

As a catechumen I said the first part of the I believe O Lord and I confess up until... committed in knowledge or in ignorance

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »

As a catechumen I would say the first section of the prayer, stopping at "Of Thy Mystical Supper..."

That is what I have been doing. But I might take the first suggestion given.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »

I have been doing the "accept me one day as a  communicant"...I rather like that.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

I am starting to read the "prayers before and after communion" now to get in the habit of doing it.

I meant to say just the prayers before communion, not the ones after.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: