OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:32:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Deepak Chopra a New Age "Christian"  (Read 2673 times) Average Rating: 0
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:32 AM »

Saw his two books on Jesus and I'm confused. From his site: "In this way Jesus can be seen for the universal teacher he truly is–someone whose teachings of compassion, tolerance, and understanding can embrace and be embraced by all of us."http://www.chopra.com/thirdjesus

Anyone read any of his stuff?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:23:32 AM »

It's obvious what he ain't - he ain't Orthodox. He's a self-help guru, not a theologian, even in that word's broader sense.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:34:48 AM »

From the link:

First, there is the historical Jesus, the man who lived more than two thousand years ago and whose teachings are the foundation of Christian theology and thought. Next there is Jesus the Son of God, who has come to embody an institutional religion with specific dogma, a priesthood, and devout believers. And finally, there is the third Jesus, the cosmic Christ, the spiritual guide whose teaching embraces all humanity, not just the church built in his name. He speaks to the individual who wants to find God as a personal experience, to attain what some might call grace, or God-consciousness, or enlightenment.

When we take Jesus literally, we are faced with the impossible. How can we truly “love thy neighbor as thyself”? But when we see the exhortations of Jesus as invitations to join him on a higher spiritual plane, his words suddenly make sense.

Ultimately, Chopra argues, Christianity needs to overcome its tendency to be exclusionary and refocus on being a religion of personal insight and spiritual growth. In this way Jesus can be seen for the universal teacher he truly is–someone whose teachings of compassion, tolerance, and understanding can embrace and be embraced by all of us.

The usual syncretistic, social-justice-feel-good rubbish. Three Jesuses? Hoooo! One up on some of the ancient heresies!  laugh

As for Christianity "needing to be a religion of personal insight", Mr Chopra is merely inventing a creaky wobbly wheel. Doesn't he know any history? The "traditional" protestants do this sort of thing much better.

And a glowing review from Bishop Spong should be an instant red flag.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:37:16 AM by LBK » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »

I actually read through part of the book about a year ago. I don't remember much, but I wouldn't call him a Christian.

He loves the parts of Jesus and his message that fits his self-affirming touchy-feely everyone-wins view, but he doesn't recognize or accept the "darker" parts of Christianity, for lack of a better term.

You know, I guess it is nice that non-Christians see Jesus' value...but it's not quite in the way WE see him.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

Chopra is heavily influenced by Vedanta, a form of Hindu mysticism. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of Hindus in the United States, so he has to pitch his books to Christians.

True.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:36:35 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »

Deepak Chopra is a Christian par excellence. Become in tune with your inner energies and you will see that they resonate with his message.  Kiss
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »

Deepak Chopra is a Christian par excellence. Become in tune with your inner energies and you will see that they resonate with his message.  Kiss
So says the Sikh. Cool

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »

Lol, actually I just think it looks cool.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

Lol, actually I just think it looks cool.

I remember reading about a Sikh suing a correctional facility for not letting him wear his kirpan.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: