OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orthodox Chants  (Read 937 times) Average Rating: 0
Master

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: March 14, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »

Where can i find PROPERLY chanted Russian Orthodox chants. (by properly chanted i mean in the byzantine style, deep voices, non latin etc) like no offence to my RO brothers, but seriouslly we are the light and the glory of this world, why do we cling to a style of hymn that is latin? no offence to the latins to but omg i cant understand a word of your chanting. seriouslly listen to some greek or arabic or deep slovanic chanting. these are the voices and chants of the angels. (especially the greeks <3)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »

lol wut?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

(by properly chanted i mean in the byzantine style, deep voices, non latin etc)

The closest you'll get is znamenniy chant, Kievan chant, Valaam chant, or one of the other "home-grown" chants which arose in Rus' and Russia as a development of Byzantine chant, in much the same way as Gregorian chant developed from Byzantine in the west. Not sure what you mean by "deep voices" - much of the chant of the type I've mentioned is sung in the tenor to bass-baritone range, much like Gregorian and similar chants. The ascendancy of Russian contrabass coincided, IIRC, with the adoption of polyphonic singing styles, which began no later than the 15th century.

Straight Byzantine chant has not been part of Russian church singing for many centuries, other than in some interesting recordings by both male choirs and female choirs of the present-day, whose choirmasters/mistresses have adapted Slavonic hymns to Byzantine-style musical settings. Quite lovely.

I quite agree that there was a time in recent centuries where Russian church singing became increasingly baroque and operatic. An example of this is the work of VI Spassky, choirmaster of the Russian Cathedral in Paris in the 1950s and 1960s. Very florid, shrill and bombastic, even when the contras are singing. Don't like it. Don't like it at all.

But, just because church music is sung in polyphonic style does not mean that style is unsuitable for church use. It's how that style is used to further the glory and worship of God. In much of the work of Arkhangelsky, for instance, it grates and detracts from prayerfulness and compunction. In the hands of many other composers, it doesn't. I dare you to listen to Kedrov's Lord's Prayer, or L'vov's It Is Meetand not be moved to prayer.

Similarly, Byzantine chant can suffer from improper execution. She is a stern mistress. When it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's only not quite good, it's truly horrid.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:43:19 PM by LBK » Logged
Master

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »

may god bless you for your help brother Smiley
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:17:24 AM »

Where can i find PROPERLY chanted Russian Orthodox chants. (by properly chanted i mean in the byzantine style, deep voices, non latin etc) like no offence to my RO brothers, but seriouslly we are the light and the glory of this world, why do we cling to a style of hymn that is latin? no offence to the latins to but omg i cant understand a word of your chanting. seriouslly listen to some greek or arabic or deep slovanic chanting. these are the voices and chants of the angels. (especially the greeks <3)

If you're looking for Byzantine chant in Slavonic, there are countless recordings by Serbian choirs you could look into. The monks of Valaam have also in recent years developed their own distinct form of Byzantine chant.

An example of traditional Russian monophonic chant can be found here.

Early Russian polyphony is also very different from the stuff in use nowadays. Very reminiscent of Georgian chant.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

?v=yNZHJ97AUE0]here[/url].
Early Russian polyphony is also very different from the stuff in use nowadays. Very reminiscent of Georgian chant.

Actually I think that is Georgian chant... it sounds like this setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZjURTWRvPk but in Slavonic.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »

Trey here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21362.0.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Russian Orthodox  chants  chanting  prayers  mp3  songs  Hymns  byzantine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: