OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:08:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with identifying symbolism of this Orthodox(?) cross pendent.  (Read 694 times) Average Rating: 0
Crossman

« on: August 29, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

Hello,
I am new here and was welcomed by Fr. Nebojsa. I was told there was a great deal of helpful accomodating members who may be able to help me.

If this particular forum is wrong for this, I apologize, and please move it to the appropriate one. I am looking for information on the "Faith" and or symbolism of a cross pendant that belongs to a friend who has no knowledge of the internet or how to find out about the cross pendant's origins, symbolism etc.

The pics are below, but before finding the OrthodoxChristianity.net (guided by another friend) my search could only yield symbolic imformation like (of course) Orthodox, Apostles, Treflee, Botonee, Trinity, Budded, etc..   This only confused me more, and frankly while I am a Christian, born and raised, I am not overly religious and other than the standard cross, Christ figures, etc., I don't have a clue about something like this.

The only fact I know is it's at least 75 years old, and was told it might be double that or more. This was due to being handed down from elder to youth, etc. a couple times.

Any help identifying or explaining the symbolism and faith of this (double) cross with triangle pendant would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the front and back of it. It's roughly 1" tall and 1/2" wide. Thanks in advance.

"

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

never seen anything like it!
pretty sure it has no origin in north / east africa, and it doesn't look celtic.
the triangle in the middle looks very unusual.
have you tried asking any freemason groups?
(seriously, some of them are very helpful with this sort of thing).
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »

Something to do with Evil Eye folk beliefs found in some Orthodox countries, probably. Such symbols are discouraged.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:39:53 PM by age234 » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

These are two of the three mystic amulets into which Pythagoras split and trapped the soul of an ancient demon. The location of the third is unknown; we should pray that it not fall into the wrong hands.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

These are two of the three mystic amulets into which Pythagoras split and trapped the soul of an ancient demon. The location of the third is unknown; we should pray that it not fall into the wrong hands.

PotFM!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »

PotFM!

Seconded

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »

I've never seen a cross like this, either. However, it appears to be a Lorraine Cross, the inverted triangle MAY represent the Shield of the Trinity. Both symbols are associated with the Knights Templar. Blue often represents hope in Christ.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Crossman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »

Thanks to many of you for the ideas, and I see at this point it's not all that clear cut as to what it truly represents. I hope some of you were kidding with the ancient demon amulet stuff, as the person who was given this is of the belief it was from a very religious person of good faith, not some mystical hocus pocus sort of persuasion.

The Free Masons wasn't a bad direction, but got that covered as I am an Ancient Free And Accepted Mason. There is no discussion of "religion" per se' in our lodge meetings or other organized get togethers, and the fundemantal (without getting to involved) obligations and unbending beliefs and promised commitments are as follows:

1.) God
2.) Family
3.) Masons

While FM have a great deal of symbolism, almost all of it steers clear of any dedicated religious affiliations. Yes, one can argue that some symbols seem religious in nature, but are most likely relegated to God or that higher power. Nuff on that.

That said, there could be something more applicable to the Knights Templars, as that follows 'after' Free Masonry. I am not a Knights Templar, but have looked into many of it's studies and symbolism, and see some liknesses as mentioned in this thread.

**But most of all, I am in the camp of some sort of Lorraine cross with Shield Of Trinity, being represented for some shift in the basic 'beliefs' but perhaps modified for a particular group at the time(?). In any case, I am now believing this cross/symbol/pendant whatever it truly represents is indeed very old, and had a strong belief system tied to it, at it's given time.

Thanks to all of you for your replies, and I hope more folks chime in if they have further knowledge or experience understanding it.

-Mark
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:24:59 AM by Crossman » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »

I've found the whole Free Mason thing to have the same truth content of the Free Beer thing.

Still waiting on that beer and tuckpointing.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Crossman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »

Thanks again to some of you who gave some guidance. To the others, well....

I will try other resources in religious history I have found..

Valete,

-cm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: