Author Topic: The Dejavu like old me.  (Read 790 times)

Offline The Anti-Nietzsche

The Dejavu like old me.
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
When I use the term dejavu I mean the feeling that one has already had current experiences.  I mean to use the term very specifically.  Not like: Oh, I've done something similar to this.  I mean: I did this exact same thing, or: this has already happened to me.  Lately, and in the past when I have been more religious and less worldly, I get these dejavu experiences.  But here's the thing, I see something that it seems I've already experienced and I see what I did in the past after the experience.  Now, the interesting part is I see myself doing something foolish after the experience and I understand in hindsight that it was foolish.  So it is like a lesson.  I've come to understand that there isn't anything that is usual.  Of course there are usual occurances.  But more and more I see them as unusual.  Why is it these intellectualizations carry with them the danger of attracting evil?  The more I learn, the more the realities of good and evil have an ever expanding gulf between them. 

Does anyone want to share something similar or have a name for some of these concepts?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:33:31 PM by The Anti-Nietzsche »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: The Dejavu like old me.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »

I don't know if it's the same thing that happened to you, but, I've experienced what I call Dejavu a few times.  It's been a while now, but, it was happening more frequently a few years back.

For me, it was a split second recollection.  It wasn't minutes, it was seriously just one second, frozen in time. I would recall seeing the same people, doing exactly what they were doing, dressed exactly like they were dressed, right down to the way the sun was shining at that moment.  Everything seemed like it had happened before.  It used to give me the creeps, because I could never explain it.

I still can't. Maybe, I had "seen" it all in a dream before?  Maybe, it was a brain spasm that just made me "think" I had seen it before.  Who knows?

These were not momentous events, or important moments....just little snatches from a regular day's activities.

However, as I was never certain of the source of these "events", I chose to simply shake them off and move on with my day.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »
I know just what you mean.  I have very vivid dreams, most of which happen at paces I frequent.  I will, as Liza explained so well, see a scene in real life and remember seeing it before.  useually, I've seen it in a dream.  I've alwayse taken this as the Lord warning me about something spiritually dangerous.  as though the Lord would rather me have a few seconds of utter confusion then fanticizing at the girl across the hall, or something like that  ;)

just try to see it as a blessing.   :)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:52 AM »
I like to refer to my impending dementia as jamais vu. Everything sounds better in French.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
Everything sounds better in French.
:D :D :D

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
An interesting question, though I don't think I've experienced it quite like you (the OP) are discussing...

"It's dejavu all over again" - Yogi Berra