OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removal of secularity in one's spiritual life  (Read 897 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: March 13, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

Dear friends I have been pondering on removing certain aspects of my life to facilitate more of an ascetic life that I believe would grow me closer to God. What I mean by this, is an elimination of material items that I have that cause a distraction from prayer. I already don't have cable, never saw the need for it, but I was thinking about removing or perhaps blocking certain websites that take up too much of my time. In the absence of these things I would replace them with Orthodox books and prayer.

I am curious if anyone has tried to remove certain things such as these, and how much of a success or failure did it have? Or is this a false allure into some sort of monastic vocation outside of a monastery?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »

It is better to first remove sin from our lives before we worry about other things.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »

You could also just get rid of those things and give the money to charity.

Give me a closet to sit in without "any" distractions, and I will make a million of my own.

But your point I don't think is without merit. I jettisoned a lot of possessions over the years and pre-occupations (never much of a TV watcher save via DVD).

While I might still come up with my own distractions, I think that is a better place to begin than trying to fit everything in between a job, family, video games, nightly TV, etc.

Best of luck.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NW Nik

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

+ St. Nikolai (Velimirovich) of blessed memory +

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »

My 2 cents, remove what you are able w/o substituting another 'vice'. Incidentally, I discovered that secular pop music disappeared from my life pretty early on in my inquiry stage, but other things are taking a more determined effort.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »

It is better to first remove sin from our lives before we worry about other things.
Well if these distractions causes me to sin, then they'll have to be removed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »

You are correct. I was alluding to another topic that you brought up recently. Have you rectified that issue, before you start with the smaller things?
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »

Turning off my TV was the best move I ever made. Haven't watched in 6 years and haven't missed it. It is--literally--like swimming in a cesspool.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. Photini

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

I remove one thing (and after Lent is over I do not bring it back. . .it's gone - for good) . .but pray for weeks before Lent begins before I do anything. . .because if the Lord doesn't build a house, the laborers labor in vain.  Make sure it's what He's working on in your life, or it will be fruitless as we can do nothing on our own.  This lent I THOUGHT it was going to be chocolate . . . then something happened that helped me to see that there was something else that I really needed to address - remove myself from or apply myself to.  Chocolate did take a different approach. . . but not removed.  The other?  Wow. . .yeah, that was much more important.  

Seek your spiritual father on this - and pray a lot before you do anything.  

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:19:06 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

It is possible that such things referred to in the OP might tempt one to sin.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »

Regarding the situation with my ex? Well there are some things I would like to remove so it doesn't remind me of her.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »

Regarding the situation with my ex? Well there are some things I would like to remove so it doesn't remind me of her.

This is good psychologicals. Do it. Unless it is like a hand or something.

blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

"...it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell...." angel
I, for one, do agree with trying to rid oneself of sinful preoccupations. However, as has been said...make sure it's something that won't cause you to crash and burn later. Much like folks who hold to a strict diet that is beyond their ability, and later binge and become worse off than they had been. As far as websites...I've tried that...not a lot of luck for me. In the end, it boils down to your own determination to follow God, or your own passions. Limiting access to things without mentally, and PRAYERFULLY, letting them go will typically fail. I think Quietmorning said it best, ". .because if the Lord doesn't build a house, the laborers labor in vain." Allow God to lead you in this. I will be praying, whatever the situation.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »

I think that over time, this will happen.   now, almost a year after being recieved into the Church, all I can read when I "read for fun" are spiritual books.  also, most of the music on my mp3 music player is Orthodox music (Church hymns) that I get from CD's from Church. 

also, I find that I can no longer watch movies with a whole lot of things that would ignite the passions.  I have sinply lost interest (and I used to be quite a big occult TV and movie junkie.) 

as for websites, I have downloaded an Orthodox toolbar that I found from an old post on here (just search for it).  whenever I log on, I use the little music player and listen to Ancient Faith radio.  this keeps my mind on prayerful things when I'm on the net. 

over time, it will happen  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:30:08 PM »

"...it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell...." angel
I, for one, do agree with trying to rid oneself of sinful preoccupations. However, as has been said...make sure it's something that won't cause you to crash and burn later. Much like folks who hold to a strict diet that is beyond their ability, and later binge and become worse off than they had been. As far as websites...I've tried that...not a lot of luck for me. In the end, it boils down to your own determination to follow God, or your own passions. Limiting access to things without mentally, and PRAYERFULLY, letting them go will typically fail. I think Quietmorning said it best, ". .because if the Lord doesn't build a house, the laborers labor in vain." Allow God to lead you in this. I will be praying, whatever the situation.

If he is talking about a memento from the relationship that pains him, toss it or put in storage, whatever, if it that traumatizing is what I am saying.

Your thoughts and Quietmorning are well taken and black belt psychologicals, I was talking just your basic cleaning house stuff.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: