OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglican Catholic Church, Western Orthodox?  (Read 944 times) Average Rating: 0
danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »

Here is the link to their web site.

http://www.anglicancatholic.org/index.php

Has anyone had any contact with these people? I am told that they are Western Rite Orthodox in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches. However, they recite the Filioque in their Creed in their liturgy, so it confuses me that a Church in communion with other Eastern Orthodox Churches could be in communion yet have the Filioque in their Creed.
Can anyone explain this?

Does anyone have any information about them and their status to the other Orthodox Churches?

Thanks
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »

For sure they are not Eastern Orthodox Christians.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

They are not even Western Orthodox Christians.

No Orthodox say the filioque.

There churches are in North America, but there bishops are not here
http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/directories/bishops/

so we know that they are not in communion with us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »

The ACC is a group that broke away from the Episcopal Church a number of years ago.  As one could infer from their name, they are high church in worship and doctrine, but definitely remain Anglican in doctrine and practice.  They are not a Western Rite Orthodox group and are not in communion with the Orthodox Church.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
danman916

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »

hmm,

Yesterday i was speaking with someone from this Church who said they were in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.
I don't know why they would have said that. But it seemed very odd to me considering that he did affirm that they recite the Filioque.

I looked on wikipedia (i know that is not the most reliable of sources), and it didn't say anything about communion with the Eastern Orthodox, only that their Bishops were consecrated in 1978. I do not know if that means that they were consecrated in order to be within the Apostolic succession. It didn't say who consecrated them.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »

It didn't say who consecrated them.

I don't know about the rest but I don't care. They are outside the visible borders of the Church and it's all I should know about them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:48:18 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
danman916

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »

i was simply looking for information about them in regards to their status with the Eastern Orthodox Churches, that's all.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

hmm,

Yesterday i was speaking with someone from this Church who said they were in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.
They lied.
I don't know why they would have said that.
Trying to legitimize themselves.

But it seemed very odd to me considering that he did affirm that they recite the Filioque.
Which means they are not in communion with us.

I looked on wikipedia (i know that is not the most reliable of sources), and it didn't say anything about communion with the Eastern Orthodox, only that their Bishops were consecrated in 1978. I do not know if that means that they were consecrated in order to be within the Apostolic succession. It didn't say who consecrated them.
It doesn't matter even if Orthodox bishops patted them on the head (they didn't.  We know that). If they are not on that list that I linked to, they are not in canonical standing with the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church which confesses the Orthdoox Faith.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

hmm,

I don't know why they would have said that. But it seemed very odd to me considering that he did affirm that they recite the Filioque.

They might be in some sort of "communion" with a vagante group, but they are not part of the Church.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »

The AAC is one of the oldest "continuing" churches, attached to the Affirmation of St. Louis. They are pretty Anglo-Catholic. As far as I know they didn't start with (by Anglican standards) adequate bishops; I think they had one retired bishop to work with though I could be wrong about that, but I know they didn't take three active bishops with them and I'm fairly sure they didn't take three of any status. I can't imagine why anyone would say that they are in communion with the Orthodox.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »

hmm,

Because a number of high church Anglicans think they are in communion with us. While there are groups out there who are lying about it in an attempt to legitimize themselves, there are tried-and-true Anglicans who truly believe this (in fact, I had to clarify the issue with a friend just a couple of weeks ago.) There were historical reasons for this mistake (let me emphatically state that communion between the east and the post-schism Anglican church never existed), but those reasons happened more than a century ago.

Here's a bit of the history:

Throughout St. Raphel's pastoral life, he longed for the return of Episcopalians to the Orthodox Church and worked tirelessly for reunion. (The Church had invited PECUSA Bp. Charles Grafton to attend his consecration in 1904, but he had to decline for health reasons.) St. Raphael was a loving and trusting man. When High Church Episcopalians told him their faith (and that of all their brethren) mirrored Orthodoxy, St. Raphael issued a statement that Orthodox may seek out Episcopal priests in cases of extreme necessity, provided no Orthodox priest was available. PECUSA promptly took advantage of his trust, sheep-stealing as many Arabs as possible. This caused St. Raphael to resign his position as vice president of the Anglican and Eastern Orthodox Churches Union in 1911 and rescind his pastoral decree. St. Raphael continued to promote the idea of an American Church with a Western Rite until his repose in 1915.

--Taken from http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2006/11/st-raphael-of-brooklyn-bishop-and.html

Even before this, there were some in the Oxford Movement who attempted to unite the CoE with the Orthodox Church, but that would have never taken off because the CoE, no matter how high-church, is fundamentally Protestant. Anglo-Catholics, whether they will admit it or not, are the innovators within Anglicanism, which did not exist in any real sense as a distinct body before Edward VI.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:50:52 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »

Anglo-Catholics, whether they will admit it or not, are the innovators within Anglicanism, which did not exist in any real sense as a distinct body before Edward VI.

Not to entirely derail the thread, but I would say that is incorrect.  The tension between Protestantism and Anglo-Catholicism has been around since Cranmer and King Henry VIII.  I would also like to point out that Anglo-Catholics, aside from the occasional splinter group (but you'll find that with ultra-low-church as well) do not exist as a separate body in the Anglican Communion, but as a movement within the body. 

As regards the Anglican Catholics, however, everything you stated is correct.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »

Has anyone had any contact with these people?

Not exactly, but I probably know a fair amount of basic information about them.

I am told that they are Western Rite Orthodox in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Who told you that?!

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »

Don't be tricked by that sort of talk. It's not uncommon. What they are basically saying is that they would be willing to give communion to an EO person or even to concelebrate, if the other party were willing. They mean something totally different from what you are imagining.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »

Quote from: deusveritasest
Don't be tricked by that sort of talk. It's not uncommon. What they are basically saying is that they would be willing to give communion to an EO person or even to concelebrate, if the other party were willing. They mean something totally different from what you are imagining.
This is also correct. You will actually find a similar situation in some RC churches, though they qualify it with "if your bishop was willing."

Anglo-Catholics, whether they will admit it or not, are the innovators within Anglicanism, which did not exist in any real sense as a distinct body before Edward VI.

Not to entirely derail the thread, but I would say that is incorrect.  The tension between Protestantism and Anglo-Catholicism has been around since Cranmer and King Henry VIII.  I would also like to point out that Anglo-Catholics, aside from the occasional splinter group (but you'll find that with ultra-low-church as well) do not exist as a separate body in the Anglican Communion, but as a movement within the body. 

As regards the Anglican Catholics, however, everything you stated is correct.
I only say this as an interpreter of history, not dogmatically. It is only my opinion.

PerhapsI should clarify: In my readings, the feeling that I got was that through the rule of James II, Catholics in England didn't consider themselves anything but Catholic -- they would not have called themselves Anglo-Catholics, Anglican Catholics, Catholic Anglicans, etc. The prevailing mood of the day would not have allowed for a real Catholic-dissent movement within the church; heck, Charles I (and the Abp. of Canterbury with him) lost his head for being too Arminian. There were certainly Catholic/Anglican tensions in the early years of the Anglican Church's independence, but that is because both hated each other and the Catholics didn't recognize the authority of the Church of England. That is why the last officially adopted prayerbook is still the 1662, which borrowed high-church theatrics but was at its core Protestant. I'm not saying there wasn't a Catholic party in the Church of England, it just didn't consider itself to be an Anglican-Catholic party.

What we identify as Anglo-Catholicism didn't really arise until the nineteenth century, and the reason it didn't tear the church apart then was nationalism. At that time  Englishmen basically worshipped the English church settlement, which was as much a part of civic life as the secular government.

Again, this is only my reading of history. The history of the Church of England after 1559 was a very messy affair.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: