OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 03:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Old Is Grandma?  (Read 1977 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: May 14, 2004, 09:52:02 AM »

Sent to me by by cousin.  Posting it because it says a lot.

Orthodoc

=======

Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 4:25 PM
Subject: Fwd: How Old is Grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end -- it will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied "Well, let me think a minute, I was born, before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There were no credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.  Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man had yet to walk on the moon. Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother.  Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, "Sir"- - and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir".

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.  Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.  We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.  Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.  Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.  Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started. Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President' speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey. If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk. The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.  We had 5&10-ó store where you could actually buy things for 5-ó and 10-ó. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.  And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail one letter and two postcards.  You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11-ó a gallon.

In my day, "grass" was mowed, coke was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby. "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, "chip" meant a piece of wood, "hardware" was found in a hardware store, and "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.  No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap....and how old do you think I am???  Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

Grandma is 58.  This is too close. How could so much go wrong in such a short time?

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 11:21:57 AM »

Good points, but...

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

No, Tommy Dorsey himself died like a rock star, in 1956 - on downers, choked on his own vomit.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Ever read Goodbye, Darkness by William Manchester? (About his time in the Marines in WWII.) Kids did and talked about the other 'making out' and lots more.

In my day, "grass" was mowed, coke was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

In her day, jazzmen like Louis Armstrong were big-time, lifelong stoners. And in her mamma's day, Coke had cocaine in it. And 'rock and roll' was black slang for sex.

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 11:39:02 AM »

Lol!!! Smiley

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:41:48 AM »

lol! very funny Serge.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

I'm just a hair shy of 50, and I think Grandma would have to be older than 58.  Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment, Orthodoc.  Some of my childhood memories are pretty rosy, too.  Kids were more sheltered in some ways back then, and not in other ways.  Living in the South, in the Bible belt, I only heard one cuss word (and only once - boy did my dad get in trouble with my mom!) before sixth grade!  What a contrast with the vocabulary my first child accrued in kindergarten.  

I suppose there might have been a higher percentage of noble people back then, or maybe the noble ones were just nobler; I don't know.  But those were also the days when racism was still acceptable, and McCarthyism had not really died out.  My mom didn't let me attend a friend's birthday party simply because my friend was black, even though our moms worked together.  Her refusal cost me a friend.  

And those were the days when Orthodoxy in America was still pretty much an ethnic thing.

And that's the rest of the story.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 12:08:29 PM by countrymouse » Logged
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 04:28:04 PM »

I second CountryMouse's thought that she has to be older the 58... My parents are 53 & 52, and some of the stories them an their siblings tell... whhhoowww-nelly.  

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »

I'm glad the author of Orthodoc's post had such a great experience.

My mom and two aunts are in their 50's-early 60's.  Their father was a cussing, cheating drunk, they all three had premarital sex, and for the rest of it, let's just say I know where ania's coming from with the whhhoowww-nelly.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »

Now it's my turn.....

My great uncle (who was old enough to have Wylie Post as a personal friend) was an alcoholic who beat his wife; he wasn't the only one in the family and my grandparents on that side were teetotalers as a result. On the other hand, the last time I visited her my grandmother let the word "nigger" drop.

On the technological end, ShockTrauma here in Maryland (where the concept was invented) has something like 95% of the people brought to it survive-- a bit of an improvement. If Grandma is 58, there's been penicillin her whole life.

Oh, and Pizza Hut itself turns 50 this year, if I remember-- not that there was anything exceptional about a pizza parlor in its day.

And while we're at it: 58 years ago my youngest son would have been shoved into an institution and left to rot there.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 05:29:46 PM »

Let's not forget those damn Reds...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 05:58:12 PM »

Not to be difficult or anything, and it has some interesting (but occaisionally fuzzy bits) but there's no date as to when the piece was written.  Therefore, just when "Grandma" was 58 is an unknown.  Analysis cap on:  Doing a cursory google I have found this writing in a number of places.  It isn't always identical.  On a page with a copywrite of 2001 Grandma is "65"
http://www.robinsweb.com/inspiration/old_grandma.html

So, We don't know how old Grandma is *today* since we don't know *when* this was written.  

Analysis off/

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »

Y'all had fire and writing back then?Huh  Tongue

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 06:11:21 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 06:28:53 PM »

Hey!  I'm only going to be 48.  We were up to using oil lamps to warn off the dinosaur attacks.  Grin

Oh, and one more data point: it'll be 50 years ago this coming Wednesday that "Brown V. Board of Education" was settled.  And did I mention the Space Program?  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 06:46:27 PM »

Taint nothing wrong with Grandma, its those darn smart alecky youngsters, no respect .

I'm ready to accelerate the cloneing of Patton & send him to Iraq.

In fact add Teddy Roosevelt to the list.

Let's roll Grandma !

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 07:05:04 PM »

And while we're at it: 58 years ago my youngest son would have been shoved into an institution and left to rot there.
 That's a sobering thought.  My oldest would have died before his teens because there wouldn't have been a surgical technique to correct his congenital heart defects.  

I'm also rather grateful for the invention of microwave ovens Grin  (and air conditioning for automobiles, and several other things as well.  

Still, it would be nice if, as a society, we Americans minded our manners better.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 09:03:35 PM »

On the other hand, the last time I visited her my grandmother let the word "I'mARacist" drop.

Looks like you meant to say she used the N word.

Good points, Keble.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 09:17:20 PM »

Just as a note, if anyone writes N --- R our filter will change it to "IamARacist" lol

anastasios
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 09:17:33 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: