Author Topic: skirts and prostrations :)  (Read 789 times)

Offline clarinet3685

skirts and prostrations :)
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
To all the ladies on here (and any attentive husbands):
Any tips on not falling over when you stand up during prostrations?  I always seem to step on my skirt while standing back up, thus preventing me to stand up, and causing near collapse!  I feel like this should be common sense, but I guess for me it's not  :P  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
Re: skirts and prostrations :)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
Readers and subdeacons can have the same issue with cassocks.  What I've found helps is gathering the lower portion in a little or hiking it up an inch or so as I kneel down.  That way, when standing back up, it's not draped over the back of my feet, which is usually what causes me to step on it.  It can take a few repetitions to get it to where it's not a huge distraction, but Lent provides plenty of repetitions. :)
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline clarinet3685

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Thanks so much Veniamin!  I didn't even think about cassocks!  Yes, I am sure by the end of Lent I will have it down ;D

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
There are two other alternatives:

1) The Ballerina Method: stay on your toes as you come up and do not rock back onto your heels until fully vertical.  This also works for 'speed prostrations.'

2) The Starting Block Method: as start to emerge, kick one leg out behind you past your cassock/dress, similar to the starting-block position in Track-and-Field.  Come up on the extended leg.

Thanks so much Veniamin!  I didn't even think about cassocks!  Yes, I am sure by the end of Lent I will have it down ;D
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • MichaƂ Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
There are two other alternatives:

1) The Ballerina Method: stay on your toes as you come up and do not rock back onto your heels until fully vertical.  This also works for 'speed prostrations.'

2) The Starting Block Method: as start to emerge, kick one leg out behind you past your cassock/dress, similar to the starting-block position in Track-and-Field.  Come up on the extended leg.

Thanks so much Veniamin!  I didn't even think about cassocks!  Yes, I am sure by the end of Lent I will have it down ;D

I agree with the "speed prostrations".  If you end up doing it quickly, and fully extend your body forward and back in a rocking motion, that has always worked for myself and others (obviously for the cassocks end of it)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:33:46 PM by serb1389 »
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Thankful

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:48:39 AM »
I was working on my technique last night  ;)

I found that if, as I started to go down, I kind of ran my hands down the back side of my legs to bring my skirt into the back of my knees as I bent them (so the bending knees kind of grab and hold the skirt), the bottom of the skirt ends up at or above the calf so that when I started to get up, the bottom of my skirt is not in the vicinity of my feet at all. I can just stand up. I wear leggings and socks under my skirt, so no skin ever shows.