OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of Armenian Church in US  (Read 675 times) Average Rating: 0
mtmamma

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »

Here is a nice blog post http://orthodoxhistory.org/2011/03/03/a-short-introduction-to-the-armenian-church-in-the-united-states/
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

Were the Armenians the first OO group in the Americas?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »

Were the Armenians the first OO group in the Americas?
Yes.  The others did not come until almost a century later.

Unless you count the Western Rite of the Indian Orthodox: they had a convert bishop here in the 1890's.  A strand of his following eventually ended up in the Antiochean WRO.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:36:46 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

I believe a small number of Syrian Orthodox also came over around that same time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3qi3h7u1URsC&lpg=PA146&dq=syrian%20orthodox%20in%20america%20history&pg=PA146#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »

Thank you for the link, mtmamma. Its very informative.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »

There was a large number of EO, Melkites and Maronites who came (the first consecration of an Orthodox bishop in the new world was the Arab Orthodox St. Raphael Hawaweeny of Brooklyn).
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2009/12/24/st-raphaels-consecration-reposted-from-71009/

The Syriac OO, mostly not being on the coast of Syria, didn't come until much later.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »

There was a large number of EO, Melkites and Maronites who came (the first consecration of an Orthodox bishop in the new world was the Arab Orthodox St. Raphael Hawaweeny of Brooklyn).
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2009/12/24/st-raphaels-consecration-reposted-from-71009/

The Syriac OO, mostly not being on the coast of Syria, didn't come until much later.

Thanks for the correction. I forget that the Antiochians in the US used to be called "Syrian Orthodox" and the Syriacs were called "Assyrian Orthdox" until the Syriacs sued to Antiochians for the name.

I hope to one day take my family to the Cathedral in Brookyln to venerate St. Raphael Hawaweeny.  May his prayers be with the Middle East Christians in these difficult days.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »

Thanks for the correction. I forget that the Antiochians in the US used to be called "Syrian Orthodox" and the Syriacs were called "Assyrian Orthdox" until the Syriacs sued to Antiochians for the name.

I hope to one day take my family to the Cathedral in Brookyln to venerate St. Raphael Hawaweeny.  May his prayers be with the Middle East Christians in these difficult days.
There is an article on fraudulent clerics claiming to be "Chaldean" around 1900 in North America
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2010/01/13/fraudulent-chaldean-fundraisers-in-america/#comments

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »

Here's some history on the terms Assyrian, Chaldean, Syrian, Syriac used by the SOC.

http://christiansofiraq.com/reply2.html

This is one of two remaining Syrian Orthodox Churches that uses "Assyrian" in the name.

http://www.virginmarynj.org/

Although no specifica date is given, the Eastern US Archdiocese of the SOC states the following,

"The presence of Syrian Orthodox faithful in America dates back to the late Nineteenth Century, when religious persecution forced immigration from Ottoman Turkey to the United States and Canada. Often locating according to their trade skills, Syrian Orthodox faithful from Diyarbakir, Turkey, qualified as silk weavers, settled in New Jersey, a major area of the silk industry."

http://www.syrianorthodoxchurch.org/about

I hope I didn't hijack this thread! Salpy, you can move this into a new topic if you'd like.

mtmamma

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »

No problem CoptoGeek, I found it interesting as well.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »

I'm very pleased and surprised that Oriental Orthodoxy has been included in the Society for Orthodox Christian History in the Americas.  This is going to be interesting.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: