Author Topic: Dress Code for Visiting a Monastery  (Read 3848 times)

Offline mtmamma

Dress Code for Visiting a Monastery
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
Going to visit St. Antony Coptic Monastery Saturday and I am wondering is there a proper dress code for women/girls? If anyone has been there what do you do? We are going with the church as a group.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Dress Code for Visiting a Monastery
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
While I am EO, what I'm about to write is likely to be compatible to the OO situation: My experience is that women are generally expected to wear modest clothing - covered shoulders, three-quarter or long sleeves, non-revealing necklines (round-neck or collarbone height is usually the norm), and definitely no shorts or trousers, skirts and dresses only, and not too figure-hugging. Hemline requirements might vary from below the knee, or sometimes mid-calf or ankle length (check first). Also, check the requirement for headcovering, whether it is required (I suspect it would be), and also if visible hair is permitted. I say this because some Orthodox women don headcoverings which vary from full concealment of hair, to a strip of translucent cloth loosely draped over the top of their head.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
The rule for dressing for St. Antony's is comfortable and modest.  It's a long drive and rough terrain, so comfortable is a must.  In my experience there, jeans on women are actually OK, as long as you are also dressed modestly.  You'll be expected to have your hair covered during the liturgy, so bring a scarf or mantilla.  Also, wear shoes that can easily be removed, as everyone takes off their shoes before entering the churches there.

Offline mtmamma

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »
@Salpy are socks okay? So the girls can wear jeans and maybe long sleeve shirts?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Jeans and modest shirts are good.  Socks are also good, considering that you'll be taking your shoes off.

Offline mtmamma

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
Okay thanks wasn't sure if sock were okay or just bare feet.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:04:18 PM »
I always wear socks there.   :)

Here's a video posted on youtube by someone showing his trip to the monastery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUT9jQxJU4

You can see how casually people are dressed.

Offline mtmamma

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
Okay after watching that I feel better. I am very excited I didn't know I could take pictures!! Going to buy spare batteries in the morning.