OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:55:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderful!  (Read 792 times) Average Rating: 0
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »

My mother is going to be baptized! Glory to Jesus Christ!

Her name is Margarite (baptismal name not sure yet). She will be baptized before Pascha, although a date has not yet been established, and five other adults will be baptized with her.

This is very exciting for me, and even a little strange. It's a big leap for my mom, because she has never been a believing Christian in her life. She grew up in an Episcopalian home, but no one actually believed in anything: being a "Christian" was simply considered part of being a good citizen, or whatever. As a result, she's spent her whole life as a spiritual wanderer. Coming to faith in Christ's Resurrection was not easy, and her conversion has been a very gradual and complex process. It is my hope that after her baptism, the Spirit will continue to guide her and enlighten her, just as He did to me, who also grew up in an environment of great religious uncertainty.

Glory be to God, and may my mother be preserved in the Orthodox Christian faith!

Thank you in advance,
Rufus
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Her name is Margarite (baptismal name not sure yet).

If I remember correctly, Margerite is the French variant of Margaret, which is ultimately of Greek origin. Allow me to suggest the Holy Greatmartyr Margaret of Antioch in Pisidia (also called "Marina").  angel

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

If I remember correctly, Margerite is the French variant of Margaret, which is ultimately of Greek origin. Allow me to suggest the Holy Greatmartyr Margaret of Antioch in Pisidia (also called "Marina").  angel

Thank you! I have already let her know that there's a Saint Margaret, but I did not know this was the same person as Marina. I don't know if she will keep the same name.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »

Great to hear!

Many years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Thank you! I have already let her know that there's a Saint Margaret, but I did not know this was the same person as Marina. I don't know if she will keep the same name.

You're welcome! I'm a bit of an amateur onomastician, so I enjoy tracking such things down...especially Christian names! *nerd*

No problem if she takes a different patron, may she be led to the saint who has been praying for her salvation. I'm sure St. Margaret wouldn't mind. Wink

And she could always develop a devotion to St. Margaret, as well! I have two Christian names (first and middle name), so I took one saint as my official patron, but I have a strong devotion to the other. I also know some Orthodox who name their children after two saints (first and middle name). I think it's a beautiful thing!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »

Lord have mercy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:08:20 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »

My mother was baptized yestrday, taking the name Marina.

Thank you, Benjamin, for the supplementary research!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »

Many Years!  Congratulations!
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »

How wonderful! Many years indeed!

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:24:10 AM »

Prayers.......

Lord Bless and Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

Great New's , And Congratulation's to All .....

Lord Grant Margarite and the Other's,  Many Year's and Many Summer's
on their coming Baptisms....Axios , Dostojni, Worthy......Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: