OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book: Experiences during the Divine Liturgy  (Read 1912 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: March 10, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »

Has anyone read this book?

It's seems quite interesting, but, a bit on the pricey side ($40 US).

I'd like to know if it's as good as it seems from the short description:

This book provides in-depth yet easy to understand commentary on the entire Divine Liturgy, based on the writings of the Holy Fathers along with actual events and experiences of holy priests, monks and lay people of our times. This book will be of great interest to any priest or a lay person.
In English, 557 pgs, softcover & printed in Greece.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:13:12 AM »

Anyone?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »

I've read it! It is interesting, but where I can see really using it is in discussing the meaning and impact of various steps performed in the Liturgy. Usually I try to focus on Liturgical meanings one Sunday a month in my past sermons, and this book is full of events and anecdotes that can help explain or emphasise certain points.

Hope that helps!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:49 AM »

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.  It looks like something I would find interesting---could be my book or the 40 Day Fast.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

I've read it! It is interesting, but where I can see really using it is in discussing the meaning and impact of various steps performed in the Liturgy. Usually I try to focus on Liturgical meanings one Sunday a month in my past sermons, and this book is full of events and anecdotes that can help explain or emphasise certain points.

Hope that helps!

Bless, Father!

Thanks so much.  That is exactly what I am in need of.  I am always interested in all the symbolism surrounding the Liturgy.

Now I cannot wait to get it shipped!  Smiley

Thanks, again!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: