OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:53:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC has an image of Orthodox beginning Lent  (Read 931 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: March 09, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12688463

This is what the subtitle to the image states:

"Revellers dance on the streets of Strumica, Macedonia, early on Wednesday morning, marking the beginning of Christian Orthodox Lent."

Huh

First of all, the Macedonian Orthodox that I know began Great Lent on Monday, along with the rest of us.

Secondly, why would they be "reveling" on the first day of Great Lent?

I believe this might just warrant a nicely worded email to the BBC.   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »

Maybe because of the 40 martyrs of Sevastia this year? I know this day can turn into a day of general drunkenness in many places.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:00:08 PM by augustin717 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »

Seriously?

If that is the case, than the BBC should have stated that they are revelers celebrating the 40 Martyrs of Sevastia, not Great Lent.

I can't believe that any truly Orthodox person would be partying down on the first week or Great Lent, much less the first day.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »

Well, on this day it happens, I tell you. Like people having 40 shots or glasses of wine throughout the day.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »

Well, on this day it happens, I tell you. Like people having 40 shots or glasses of wine throughout the day.

There must be a whole lot of 'prostrations' going on with forty shots in one day!  Wink
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

Looks like they're taking Matthew 6:16-18 a little too literally?  laugh

Matthew 6:16-18

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

angel
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:13:59 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

Looks like they're taking Matthew 6:16-18 a little too literally?  laugh

Matthew 6:16-18

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

angel

lol
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »

First of ll, the BBC title is extremely misleading and shows its typically anti-church bias. These folks may be Macedonian and even be baptized Orthodox. None of that makes them Orthodox Christians. OTH, it may be that augustine is correct and that they are Orthodox Christians with a (unseemly) local tradition--40 glasses of Slivovitza to celebrate the 40 martyrs indeed! I can think of another explanation: they may be emulating fat Tuesday revelries in Catholic countries and this is a celebration that apparently spilled over into the western start of Lent, Ash Wednesday.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:32:36 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »

First of ll, the BBC title is extremely misleading and shows its typically anti-church bias. These folks may be Macedonian and even be baptized Orthodox. None of that makes them Orthodox Christians. OTH, it may be that augustine is correct and that they are Orthodox Christians with a (unseemly) local tradition--40 glasses of Slivovitza to celebrate the 40 martyrs indeed! I can think of another explanation: they may be emulating fat Tuesday revelries in Catholic countries and this is a celebration that apparently spilled over into the western start of Lent, Ash Wednesday.

Two shots of the good stuff puts me to sleep!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »

The real question is who makes the best Slivovitsa? The stuff is made all over Europe and even in the United States (Black Star Farms, Clear Creek Distillery, Peach Street Distillers, and Stringer's Orchard). There is a fly in the ointment, however: although Slivovitsa is supposed to have invented by the Serbs, there is a claim that "according to the Serbian Ministry of Agriculture, almost half of all Serbian Slivovitz tested is not made from plums.  Serbian Slivovitz is made from corn or molasses with artificial colors and flavoring added." http://www.slivovitz.us/library.htm 

Personally, I am partial to Bulgarian slivova that is based on the 14th Century recipe of the Troyan Monastery. But, if they are made from plums, they are all good, including Croation (gasp, is outrage!) versions.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »

The real question is who makes the best Slivovitsa? The stuff is made all over Europe and even in the United States (Black Star Farms, Clear Creek Distillery, Peach Street Distillers, and Stringer's Orchard). There is a fly in the ointment, however: although Slivovitsa is supposed to have invented by the Serbs, there is a claim that "according to the Serbian Ministry of Agriculture, almost half of all Serbian Slivovitz tested is not made from plums.  Serbian Slivovitz is made from corn or molasses with artificial colors and flavoring added." http://www.slivovitz.us/library.htm 

Personally, I am partial to Bulgarian slivova that is based on the 14th Century recipe of the Troyan Monastery. But, if they are made from plums, they are all good, including Croation (gasp, is outrage!) versions.

The best I ever had, and it was very little, was a special reserve that the late father of my son's best friend brought over from Slovakia over the years in coke bottles before you couldn't carry them on. It was the old family recipe and he brought it out only for funerals and weddings. Just a little shot in memory or for the marriage.
The Anti-Nietzsche

Faith: Not yet Orthodox, but I believe in it's basic doctrine.
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

I did discover the flour war that occurs in Galaxidi at the end of Carnival, which is also Clean Monday on bbc.  So there is someone at bbc who knows when Lent begins for Orhodox Christians. To bad they don't show what the more pious Orhodox do on Clean Monday.  Also, the actual subtitle to the picture of the revelers in Macedonia doesn't include the word Wednesday.  But it is obvious that that is the day being referred to.  Also, most news reports seem to consider the reveling to have occurred on Tuesday night, so it is misleading not to mention this.  One wonders if these Macedonians are not Orthodox, since the end of their Carnival is Tuesday night, prior to sunrise on Wednesday.  Okay, I just found something about the town of Tyrnavos.  This brings to light the danger in attributing celebrations that occur at the end of Carnival as having anything to do with Christianity, let alone Orthodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:14:45 PM by The Anti-Nietzsche » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: